Cudjoe Offshore 2-25 : Another BIG Dolphin

Well, I must be living right or something ! For the second time in three days we’ve put a big Mahi in the boat. Two days ago it was with Dave on his boat in 275 feet off American Shoal. ( http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?41090-Cudjoe-Offshore-2-23-Finally-something-worth-posting-%29s )

Today Susan and I took advantage of the great weather to head back offshore on our boat and hooked up in 575 feet just on the outside edge of the ups and down. Just like 3 days ago, it was the only hit we had all day.

Today’s fish was 50 inches fork length and 37.4 lbs.

Fish hit a black/purple skirted ballyhoo. Wind south very light, seas flat and water temp 78.6

Toms2-25Mahi.jpg
Capt. Tom Urban, "urbanRenewal", Cudjoe Key, FL www.LooeKeyReefAdventures.com

Replies

• swordslayer71swordslayer71 Posts: 398 Officer
    That's a stud phin, and to catch it just a couple days after a 30lber you must be livin' right. I wonder if it has to do with this mild winter/spring we've been having. Great job :thumbsup
  • Offshore XpressOffshore Xpress Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    great catch
    :smoking:smoking:smoking
  • yachteryachter Posts: 182 Officer
    Sweet catch, now head back out today, everything happens in 3's
  • isla21isla21 Posts: 2,115 Officer
    That's a stud! Congrats
  • CaptBillCaptBill Posts: 271 Officer
    Wow. That is a winner fish Tom. Congratulations! Must have been quite a fight.
  • JoeGiulJoeGiul Posts: 453 Deckhand
    Wow Tom, great fish.

Joe
    Joe G.
    Lighthouse Point
  • TavernierGuyTavernierGuy Posts: 917 Officer
    Nice job on the phin. Keep at it for the "3 banger". Found loads of schoolies south again yesterday. Lots of floating debris out there right now, looks like a tanker had a bunch of pallets fall off it.
  • urbanRenewalurbanRenewal Posts: 395 Officer
    Bill, Susan actually kept time ;) Started about 11:55, hit the deck at 12:25. Lots of time to sweat about whether my knots and wire work was going to hold up.
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,743 Captain
    Glad you guys got him. WTG
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • C-HAWKC-HAWK Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    Nice fish! Wonder if the spring run is going to start real early?
  • urbanRenewalurbanRenewal Posts: 395 Officer
    The water has been 78/79 between 250 and 600 feet the past week so it might be a sign that things may happen early. On the other hand, on both days we caught fish I did not hear of another dolphin being caught so....

Like I told another guy, I chalk it up to the blind squirrel and acorn thing :grin
  • Bill WelderBill Welder Posts: 90 Greenhorn
    Very nice fish Tom.:thumbsup
    www.CaptainBill.net
    Island Charters
    "Key West...Where the weird turn pro"
  • Devil DogDevil Dog Posts: 109 Officer
    Very nice
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Posts: 2,608 Officer
    Well done! :beer

I was out there on Friday and worked between the Vandenburg and Western Dry Rocks. Focused on 140'-500'. Nada. two knockdowns and nothing to show for it. Decided it would be the reef for me so that the folks on board could have some action. Had it just been Missy and I on a fun trip...I'd have stayed deep all day. :grin

Water is way too hot for this early. Still haven't seen the Sails nor Blackfin Tuna down here. :(

Rob
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
  • TrollaltdeleteTrollaltdelete Posts: 644 Officer
    That is sweet. I cannot wait to get back down. I think we are coming down mid march. Save a few fish for us.:crossed
    Take out your boat, make a memory!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file