Costa Del Mar...what I've learned

I have had a chance to compare the 580 glass, 580 poly, and 400 glass. I'll share what I have learned on here. Remember, This is only matter of opinion.

My first pair of Costas were a 580 glass green mirror pair and I was just blown away by them. I couldnt get myself to go outside without them. I could spot flounder, and reds where other people couldnt see below the surface of the water.

I decided to get a backup pair of 580p Costas and I must say that I wasnt very impressed with them out on the water. In certain lighting settings I could see as good as the glass lenses, but most times I couldnt.

I then picked up a 400 glass pair with the same green mirror. They are much clearer than the 580ps, and almost as clear as the 580 glass. The difference is so feint that I dont think it warrants the extra $50. I do, however, believe that the extra $40 from 580p to the 400g is definitely worth the price.

I decided to post this because I did alot of online searches and I never found any forum compare the 400 glass to the 580p. Please chime in if you have any thoughts or opinions on the different lenses.

EDIT : During my research, I did find that Offshore Anglers noticed a difference between the 400s and the 580s ,where as, inshore anglers tend not to notice at all or very slightly like my experience
"Indian River" Joel
www.wadefishingflorida.com
321-402-9881

Replies

• 001001 Posts: 4,292 Officer
  • CANTCATCHCANTCATCH Posts: 92 Deckhand
    Thanx for the great post. I myself have been looking all around the web for a nonbiased comparison and could never find one. Great job. Looks like 580g green mirror for me.
    Fishing is the easy part. It's the catching I suck at!:banghead
  • MiamipescadorMiamipescador Posts: 696 Officer
    Thanks for the post as well. IMO Green mirror is simply the best for fishing anything besides blue water. Im either going to pick up another pair of 400s or 580s this saturday
  • IshIsh Posts: 797 Officer
    I have only owned the 580s , I do know that they will charge you $80 if you break the lense . What is the charge on the 400s ? Just was wondering .
  • Indian River JoelIndian River Joel Posts: 362 Officer
    Ish wrote: »
    I have only owned the 580s , I do know that they will charge you $80 if you break the lense . What is the charge on the 400s ? Just was wondering .

I believe its $79 for the 580s and $59 for the 400s
    "Indian River" Joel
    321-402-9881
    Thanks for the post as well. IMO Green mirror is simply the best for fishing anything besides blue water. Im either going to pick up another pair of 400s or 580s this saturday

That is a tough decision. I still dont know the answer to that question. On one hand, you feel like you just want to get the best since youre dropping a ton of money, anyways. On the other hand, Why should you hand over your hard earned $50 for a very minor color enhancement. Sounds like they did a great marketing to me LOL
    "Indian River" Joel
    321-402-9881
  • TailHunterTailHunter Posts: 333 Officer

The only thing I notice between my tripletail 400g and 580g is weight. The 580 lenses are lighter.
    - Travis

Shut Up and Fish

"Common sense isn't as common as commonly thought." Me
    "The unprepared man goes into the game prepared to lose." Me
  • pettav0303pettav0303 Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    I started out with the Costa switchfoot's in a green mirror 580G years ago. I have since purchased the Costa fisch in a silver mirror 580G and I'm enjoying the fit and finsh of the "fisch" better. As far for the lense color the green mirror seems to brighten up the bottom a little better than the silver mirror making it easier to identify fish from "non-fish" lol
  • Salty GatorSalty Gator Posts: 1,802 Captain
    I've been using the Costa Poly lenses in various frames for the past 20 years mostly in copper/amber. Most recently, I had been using the fathom with580p. My wife got me a pair with 580g for Christmas. IMHO, there is a huge difference inshore with the 580g giving better resolution than the 580p even in shallow water. Looking forward to trying them offshore.
  • SnookmeisterSnookmeister Posts: 1,035 Officer
    I have a pair of fathoms with the 580g. I can't leave the house without them, period. When they are clean you cannot tell there is any lense infront of your eye at all. Mine are beat up though but they are almost 8 years old now.
    Catch 'em and Release 'em!
    http://tampaurbanangler.blogspot.com/
    TailHunter wrote: »
    The only thing I notice between my tripletail 400g and 580g is weight. The 580 lenses are lighter.

Do you fish offshore or inshore?
    "Indian River" Joel
    321-402-9881
    I've been using the Costa Poly lenses in various frames for the past 20 years mostly in copper/amber. Most recently, I had been using the fathom with580p. My wife got me a pair with 580g for Christmas. IMHO, there is a huge difference inshore with the 580g giving better resolution than the 580p even in shallow water. Looking forward to trying them offshore.

I noticed the same thing as well between glass and poly
    "Indian River" Joel
    321-402-9881
  • TailHunterTailHunter Posts: 333 Officer
    Do you fish offshore or inshore?

yes
    - Travis

Shut Up and Fish

"Common sense isn't as common as commonly thought." Me
    "The unprepared man goes into the game prepared to lose." Me
  • ontheedge5658ontheedge5658 Posts: 2,658 Officer
    I'm a retired Optician and long time fisherman. I have been wearing Costa's since 1987. I wear the "Wave Killer" with Blue Mirror 400 lens. The Blue mirror is best for offshore. Green mirror better for inshore. Copper lens best for shallow water flats. The best lens material is Glass. With Glass lenses the is no visual distortion anywear you look through it. Poly is an "injected" lens and will sometimes have some minor distortion. Toughest surface is glass by far. I hope this clears things up. No pun intended. Well maybe.
  • Salty GatorSalty Gator Posts: 1,802 Captain
    Has anyone noticed a difference in clarity between the 400g and 580g?
    Has anyone noticed a difference in clarity between the 400g and 580g?

Tailhunter said he noticed no difference minus the weight and I have to really try to find a difference between the two and it is very feint. Not worth $50 IMO
    "Indian River" Joel
    321-402-9881
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    offshore Creature here.. The Blue lens is awesome (mirror burns my nose but since fish skiz and face mocks i will try them again maybe..) BUT. I learned long ago from working with a old Captain, try the Amber lens when you are dolphin fishing .. it helps with finding weed or debris.. glad I listened so far.. I agree with the greens are a cool mangrove / green / brown glass .. seeing them sure helps especially the older ya get!
  • bernvinobernvino Posts: 36 Deckhand
    Awesome timing, I am about to invest in a pair of Costas and I was going to post for some advice. Thanks for the awesome information. The next question is, where is the best place to pick up a pair? I live in St. Pete but am in Titusville almost every weekend. Any help would be appreciated.
    bernvino wrote: »
    Awesome timing, I am about to invest in a pair of Costas and I was going to post for some advice. Thanks for the awesome information. The next question is, where is the best place to pick up a pair? I live in St. Pete but am in Titusville almost every weekend. Any help would be appreciated.

I was in St. Pete last weekend and started my search at Gandy Bait and Tackle on the Tampa Side of the bay. They had a decent selection, but Strike Zone in Melbourne has a selection over 4 times of what they have. Also strike zone has a $30 coupon off of a $150 purchase
    "Indian River" Joel
    321-402-9881
  • bernvinobernvino Posts: 36 Deckhand
    Thanks Joel, surprisingly, the Ace Hardware on US 1 just south of DT Titusville has quite a large selection as well. Strike zone seems to be the hot spot to get good deals though. Maybe ill check it out on Wednesday. Thanks man
  • JesseJamesJesseJames Posts: 2,408 Officer
    One of the biggest differences between the 400 and 580 glasses lenses are the additional coatings to make sure the primary colors, particularly red and yellow, don't wash out the way they can with cheaper polarized lenses.
    I wear Blackfin 580G black frame/grn mirror religiously. The 580 lens keeps "driving colors" vibrant and the green mirror I've had awesome success with everything from pulling Bass out of the stink pond in the neighborhood to chasing Reds in Mosquito Lagoon and running down Cobia in dirty green water of if Canaveral. I've worn them trolling offshore and they're effective but I haven't had the chance to use them to look at/under debris or weedlines yet. Hopefully this spring.

The 580 lenses are definitely a bit heavier then the polycarbonate ones but after a day or two it's unnoticeable. Also, although they are more scratch resistant than the polycarbonate lenses they are less shatterproof and Costa will not replace single lenses. If you break one you'll have to pay for two lenses and send the pair to Costa as they don't ship lenses out. A pair of 580 lenses is well over $100.

The biggest selection of Costa's in Central Florida is at Bass Pro in Orlando. They have over 500 on hand and will special order direct from Costa for you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    copoutfishing.com
  • Snook ManSnook Man Posts: 207 Officer
    I also wear Blackfin 580G with black frames, except I have them with blue mirror. They're great and i've never had a problem with them.
  • NauticalWheelerNauticalWheeler Posts: 440 Officer
    Also check out Ebay - I've bought 580g's on Ebay for up to $90 under retail. I understand the need to make profit, but over $90 markup on a pair of sunglasses is downright offensive and I won't support it. Just be careful as always and only buy from highly rated sellers, as there could be fakes out there.
  • on_the_rockson_the_rocks Posts: 7,894 Admiral
    I have the 580p in amber ( i generally fish inshore) but after reading this thread i am starting to think i should have dropped the extra $ for the 580g. Dont get me the wrong the
    580p are unreal.
    Just got a new pair of 580 corbinas with the green/amber lens.
    The difference from 400 to 580 might be minimal but when dishing out this much, I want the best.
  • skeeterlagoonskeeterlagoon Posts: 65 Deckhand
    I just purchased hammerheads 580p. This thread is also making me wish I got the 580g. But my first fishing trip out with them I was spotting fish like crazy and caught a really nice gator trout.
  • Bottom LinesBottom Lines Posts: 1,101 Officer
    I have the 580gs in green mirror. By far the best shades I've owned for both inshore/offshore. I've worn the blue/mirror 580g lenses offshore, which are supposed to be better out there, but I couldn't tell much of a difference. Love the green mirror...
  • KayakMacGyverKayakMacGyver Posts: 974 Officer
    That is some great and very useful information :thumbsup I've been a very loyal Costa customer for 8 years, and there customer service is superb as well.

One thing I'd like to add on the topic of Glass and Poly lens selection. IF you are all clumbsy, absent minded, or just plain forgetful, you're going to break some glass. Those lenses will break if you just look at them wrong (not literally)! I've had to send in several pairs for repair after being stupid with them. I now wear a cablez lanyard full time.

IMO, their poly lens still blows any other pair of sunglasses out of the water. So if you're looking for a really good pair of sunglasses, that you don't have to be extra super careful with, go that route.

If you want the best, and plan on taking extreme caution and care of your sunglasses....glass is the way to go, by far.
    They Can't Us "You Should Have Been There Yesterday"...........Because We Were!
  • JOE CJOE C Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    I fish inshore and offshore i wear the 580p brines i like them a lot was thinking about getting a pair of 580 green lenses how do they handled on cloudy days ? with the blue mirror i find it hard to see fish on cloudy days.
    The green lenses are only green on the outside, amber on the inside. Yesterday was a bit cloudy and I was using them, saw all the bottom crystal clear.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file