El Cheapo 2012.... The saga continues with monster sheepshead!

I saw someone brought the "Bling bling" flounder post back up.... I didnt want to respond to an old report, but it gave me some inspiration..... I've been lying a little "dormant" lately. Not that I havnt been fishing, just figured (with suggestion) the report section could use a little break. Its been a double whammy lately with my main sheep herding partner becoming increasingly camera shy as we near the tourney! Quality fish have never been thrown overboard quicker than this seasons sheepshead!

Anyhoo, we have been going to great lengths to find these most delectable demersals.... you guys remember when it was absolutely freezing last week? I mean, seriously hard freezing even at the beaches? Well, we still went out. It became pretty obvious we were nuts when we realised we were the only boat at the Mayport ramp on a saturday.
However, it made for a humorous video...

(click to watch)
th_P2111428.jpg

Yep, we were trying to find sheepshead, even on the coldest day of the year!

But as I was saying earlier, the old flounder post made me want to do a recap..... just like the flounder run this year, the sheepshead fishing has been pretty good too. We started earlier than usual, and have been on them since the flounder run began to come to a close.
PB151118.jpg
PB151114.jpg
PB151120.jpg
PC041162.jpg

We've caught some good fish this season...
2012-01-31161001.jpg
101_5156.jpg
101_5157.jpg
2011-12-26151903.jpg
PC251281.jpg

that make me remember studs from years past-
116_3111.jpg
IMG_01972.jpg

Along the way this year, we've shared some of our best secrets...
PC061167.jpg
And listened with ears and eyes wide open to your reports too!

No doubt.... I love to sheepshead fish! I get it from my stepdad, who is so crazy about sheepshead fishing that he keeps a big fiddler farm nearly year 'round! Still to this day, when we pull up at the spot, you can visibly see his hands shaking as he pins that first fiddler. His hands are shaking with excitement!

We fish the El Cheapo every single year and always have a blast. For the last couple years, Ive sponsored 13th place, which even that pays $300! I look forward to handing one of you the check, hopefully it will be one of my forum bros!

Pics from the last few years El Cheapo tournies-
Two years ago, my better half outfished me and the old man by not only catching the first one, but caught the biggest fish of the day too!
elcheapo006.jpg
Hmmmm.... which makes me note from her skin showing what great weather we had that year!

Then there was last year, we caught a mess of 'em, but nothing that would place.
P2250057.jpg

So I wanna wish you all the best of luck for the tourney..... but please, please let all my practicing pay off this year, lol! Theres no more reason to be secret any longer.... on tourney day, let that film roll! Show us your fish, and tell us how you caught your big ones!

With that being said.... I leave you with this one we caught on our last trip a few days ago. Luis didnt wanna post this incase someone saw us in "the spot", but its okay. The truth is, even to this moment, after countless sheep sessions and endless networking, we still have no idea where we are gonna fish! We cant even decide what zipcode to fish......

(This must have been the only one there)-
2012-02-10165405.jpg

We've been chasing them since last year from the main river, up into the creeks and then back out into the river again, and still have no real solid results yet. There have been multiple fish caught over 12lbs in the last week! (Not by us, but check out your favorite tackle shop to see for yourself, one tackle shop has had two over 12lbs, certified wieghts) There was even a 14, yes, a 14lb fish caught by one of the best guides in the river recently, but the story never made it here.!

I figured this would be a hot topic the next few days so I wanted to do one last sheepie post before tourny time.... while Im certainly no expert, I will be glad to answer any (within reason, lol!) questions any of you may have. I know there are gonna be many a "lurker" reading this post in the next few days, dont be scared, come join the forum fun and post up!

Tight lines guys and gals....see ya at the captains meeting friday!:beer
Tony Eden-
Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
Boattronics.net
Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
904-545-1270

Replies

• R_SaltR_Salt Posts: 184 Officer
    Good post. I went out yesterday and got skunked. It was demoralizing. I wish everyone tight lines for the tourney.
    "Reel Minions"
  • SaltwaterMarshSaltwaterMarsh Posts: 266 Officer
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 3,088 Captain
    Good post, great read
  • arunramarunram Posts: 1,628 Officer
    Good Luck to eveyone!

Arun
  • Captain BrianCaptain Brian Posts: 336 Officer
    Quality fish Tony! Makes me wonder why you would ever want to fish down here when the fishing up there is heads and tails better IMO. :grin

It could be a banner event with some big fish brought in. The S winds have been blowing and it looks like the big'uns are starting to filter in already. Good luck to all! Lots of water to cover no doubt!
  • ThatGUYThatGUY Posts: 121 Officer
    Thats some good 'head! Good luck in the tourney! It's seems Jax has sheepshead mania!
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,070 Admiral
    R_Salt wrote: »
    Good post. I went out yesterday and got skunked. It was demoralizing. I wish everyone tight lines for the tourney.

Thanks brotha..... anyone that says they never get skunked is a liar, lol. I just try to pretend like those days never happened.
    See you Friday

Im buying the drinks afterwards for anyone in the side bet.... did any of you hear what I did to Drew from the Ledge Lady the night before the tourney? He just kept taking those shots.... and ended up sleeping the day away in the cabin during the tourney! Super secret strategy!
    Slough wrote: »
    Good post, great read

Thanks!
    arunram wrote: »
    Good Luck to eveyone!

Arun

Good luck to you too my friend.
    Quality fish Tony! Makes me wonder why you would ever want to fish down here when the fishing up there is heads and tails better IMO. :grin

It could be a banner event with some big fish brought in. The S winds have been blowing and it looks like the big'uns are starting to filter in already. Good luck to all! Lots of water to cover no doubt!

Thanks..... I would have visited you guys a bit more this year had the water cleared up a bit more. Oh well. I was very surprised to see how much more spooked the fish were this year, seems several new guides are really hammering them.
    ThatGUY wrote: »
    Thats some good 'head! Good luck in the tourney! It's seems Jax has sheepshead mania!

Thank you, you too! No doubt..... home of the biggest sheepshead tourney in the world!

Theres something specail about sheepshead fishing to me.... it can be a very technical and challenging type of fishing. When you pull that big 'head out of impossible structure after a tough fight, its just grand.

Ive got a few messages about the knocker rig I pictured. This is my favorite rig in most conditions. In shallower water with less current, I like a light jig. If the fish are being more picky than usual, I use a standard fishfinder rig with 4-6" of leader. If the fish are suspended off of structure in deeper water, I use a 3 way swivel or chicken rig, and make adjustments to how high up my bait sits untill I start whacking them.

Interesting observation-
    I found that in most conditions, the most expensive, light leaders get no more bites than if I tied my braid straight to the hook, some may find this hard to believe but its true. However, you can bet tourney day I will be pulling out all the stops and my lines will all have Yo-Zuri or Seaguar leader on them.

My favorite hook, and I feel like Ive tried them all, is a red Gamakgatsu 2/0 octopus, also borrowed from my inshore machine buddy Luis.

I hope some of this will help any newbies out there searching for info right now, again, feel free to ask any questions I may be able to help with.
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
  • Devil DogDevil Dog Posts: 109 Officer
    Great read and pics, thanks Tony
  • knotenoughknotenough Posts: 925 Officer
    Man Tony, with all this knowledge, side bets, postings, etc..... I hope you make it on the leader board my man! lol

Paul good to see you posting again. Maiden voyage on the new flats boat in the AM looking for some sheepies...... I will let you know whe I have it ready!
    Devil Dog wrote: »
    Great read and pics, thanks Tony

Thanks for reading!
    knotenough wrote: »
    Man Tony, with all this knowledge, side bets, postings, etc..... I hope you make it on the leader board my man! lol

Paul good to see you posting again. Maiden voyage on the new flats boat in the AM looking for some sheepies...... I will let you know whe I have it ready!

Knowledge? I did put up the "By no means am I an expert" disclaimer, lol. Sorry I missed your message, I hope you get on em today!
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
  • freshmeatfreshmeat Posts: 35 Deckhand
    alright, we been reading your daily blogs on the forum since it was still flounder season and you were slayin the sheepies. Surely you are gonna let us know how you did... Considering the amount of money you spent on fuel and bait for the past month pre fishing for this tournament, you did place right??? I know you didn't get beat by any weekend warrior who has to work everyday instead of fish... No excuses cuz as much time as you put in, you should of had a failsafe plan A-Z. :Popcorn
  • Agent 37Agent 37 Posts: 270 Officer
    You see, here's the thing..... Tony is such a good fisherman that with all that pre-fishing that he and Luiz have been doing they straight-up cleaned out the river before the tournament. I believe that between those two and Arun, every fish in the river had already been caught in the last few weeks. The fish that did get caught were just the dumb ones that needed to be culled because they didn't learn from their mistakes.

Furthermore, they did say that they were putting fish back in the water fast. So you guys should be thanking Tony for making sure our local sheepshead population didn't get wiped out by this El Cheapo Reapo the Fishos Tournament. Because of him, there will be more quality fish left to spawn.

Have a nice day and thank you for voting for AGENT 37.
    Good judgment comes from experience..... and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.
    LOL!!!
    We had a GREAT day. We were on our spot by 4:30 am. At 4:45, other folks started showing up.... we just beat the crowd. We fired up a grill and made scrambled eggs, hog sausage, etc, it was a pretty elaborate breakfast to be cooked on a flats boat, lol! We started chumming early and had bites within minutes of lines in! Unfortunately, we lost a huge fish right off the bat. But we were able to catch about 15 fish, with 8 fish over four pounds, with a few over 5 and two over 7. Nothing huge though, we finished with a 7.3. Ill post some pics and video shortly.
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
    Nothing to do in the morning untill 7am but wait..... and cook up a good breakfast. First time I did this on a flats boat, but it actually worked out quite well. Nothing like a hot breakfast to get your day started!
    (click to watch)
    th_P2241454.jpg
    Luis had the hot hook for the day, and caught our biggest fish. Just call me "net boy".
    P2241459.jpg
    We did catch a mess of solid fish, just not the one we needed-
    P2241457.jpg

I was surprised 10.1 took the tourney, but the fish was caught in the general mayport river area I thought it would be...
    P2241461.jpg

Oh well, maybe next time. We did better than all our friends, so I won a couple side bets for a cool hundo in cash. We didnt catch a monster, but the tourney was a blast as always and we will be back next year!
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
  • Captain BrianCaptain Brian Posts: 336 Officer
    What? You didn't win? :shrug
  • Slug-OSlug-O Posts: 3,015 Officer
    Looking good guys!!!
    USCG Licensed and Insured Charter Capt. PRIME TIME CHARTERS 904-591-8906 ICW and Back Waters fishing. Palmvalleycharters.com
  • F1D2F1D2 Posts: 327 Officer
    Nothing to do in the morning untill 7am but wait..... and cook up a good breakfast.

That's the way to start the day off guys and you still had some good fish too.
    What? You didn't win? :shrug

I know right? (lol) We gave it our very best shot.... our plan worked, we caught fish on a tough day, had fun and came back safe. Thats all we can ask for!
    Slug-O wrote: »
    Looking good guys!!!

Thanks brotha!
    F1D2 wrote: »
    That's the way to start the day off guys and you still had some good fish too.

Thanks, no doubt! I wish every fishing trip started off with a good meal.... I think that grill is gonna make a more regular appearance on the boat from now on!

I gotta say, reading others reports make me smile, mostly about how everyone was so courteous and everyone got along. Its hard to imagine over 400 boats in a confined area, and everyone seems to have gotten along fine. We were lucky to get to our spot in the center of a dock slip first, but had boats completely surrounding us by day break. Everyone was in good spirits, no one was trying to fish on top of each other, etc. Everyone was catching fish, but somehow Luis was able to break ahead of the pack... dude seems to catch more fish than all the folks around him, I gotta give him big "props".
    We did see a kid fall overboard first thing in the morning, but with cat like reflexes he was able to grab the rail on his way over, so he only got soaked from the waist down. He was a real trooper though, and was quick to exchange his sweat pants for some long sleeve shirts I think.... his buds were laughing up a storm and he was right there with 'em, and toughed it out all day.
    I did see quite a few boats hauling the mail through the channel with no lights on.... everyone seemed to want to be in "stealth mode". I have to admit, once we slipped into our dock spot and were secured in place, we went "black ops" too. That didnt seem to help though, we found out quickly that dock was a very prized spot... and with good reason! Of coarse our grill with flames flickering and the smells of breakfast in the air probably didnt help us conceal our "secret" lol!
    I heard some crazy stuff differant folks tried... one friend had 75lbs of shrimp heads to use for chum. I know of several small boats that tried to go offshore just to get the snot beat out of them, but also of a few large boats that were able to brave the large angry sea and somehow did well in the rolling swells. I have no idea how these guys can catch a sheepshead in heavy seas and high winds, but some folks are just that good it seems.
    We tried a new to us technique where we took a chum bag, filled it with fresh oysters we crushed on the spot and fished with fiddlers and oysters directly on top of the bag, which seemed to concentrate the fish under our boat better than surrounding vessels. I say that, but we are also aware of some structure on the bottom we were right over top of, so its hard to say how much it really helped. Whatever it was, we were able to catch 8 fish while surrounding boats only managed up to two each. Maybe it was good old lady luck, maybe we were just holding our mouths right, I dont know. Anyway, I sure wish we coulda caught that stud though, but there is always next year!

While sheepsheading was great this season, we are happy to put it behind us now and move on to the next challenge. Its time to focus back on reds untill the IFA tourney, and slip offshore whenever possible to search for the elusive wahoo, to try our luck against the wahoo championship warriors. Soon, (surely earlier than usual this year!) it will be time to go after the fish of which we do not speak about, my personal favorite......... you just gotta love N.Florida and all the great angling oppurtunities she presents!
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
  • freshmeatfreshmeat Posts: 35 Deckhand
    what you didn't place? i must say i'm really dissapointed in "boattronics" the #1 fishermen in n.e. fla. you are a t.v. celeberty and everything... I can't believe you did all that prefishing and all you can say you accomplished in the tournament was cook some eggs??? oh ya you did let us know you guys out fished everyone around you, god forbid you leave that part out, otherwise we might think you are just an average fishermen. i got to hand it to you, you were dead on in your prediction for where the winning fish would be caught. who would have ever guessed that a tournament with 420 boats being held out of mayport would be won by a fish caught close to mayport... shocker!!! only you would have guessed that. must be from all that experience... in your honor the mods are getting together to come up with an icon of a lil yellow guy tooting a horn and you can use it every other day on your fishing reports. keep tooting that horn.. its funny.
  • CaptbronCaptbron Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    freshmeat wrote: »
    alright, we been reading your daily blogs on the forum since it was still flounder season and you were slayin the sheepies. Surely you are gonna let us know how you did... Considering the amount of money you spent on fuel and bait for the past month pre fishing for this tournament, you did place right??? I know you didn't get beat by any weekend warrior who has to work everyday instead of fish... No excuses cuz as much time as you put in, you should of had a failsafe plan A-Z. :Popcorn

You dont think at least 40-50 of the other 420 boats were prefishing during the week as well???
    what you didn't place? i must say i'm really dissapointed in "boattronics" the #1 fishermen in n.e. fla. you are a t.v. celeberty and everything... I can't believe you did all that prefishing and all you can say you accomplished in the tournament was cook some eggs??? oh ya you did let us know you guys out fished everyone around you, god forbid you leave that part out, otherwise we might think you are just an average fishermen. i got to hand it to you, you were dead on in your prediction for where the winning fish would be caught. who would have ever guessed that a tournament with 420 boats being held out of mayport would be won by a fish caught close to mayport... shocker!!! only you would have guessed that. must be from all that experience... in your honor the mods are getting together to come up with an icon of a lil yellow guy tooting a horn and you can use it every other day on your fishing reports. keep tooting that horn.. its funny.

Umm... take a deep breath, and relax a moment. I love fishing, and I try to share that with others. I did put in a disclaimer by the way, just trying to share what little I know. Truth is, I am just an average fisherman......
    I didnt catch a single fish that day! Me and Roger Bump made a video that evening at the wiegh in..... "Net Boys, 2012". All I did was net the fish my team caught. My old man and Luis are both better inshore fisherman than me, which I think I have mentioned numerous times. And we didnt out fish the guys next to us, sure we caught a few more, which I mentioned, but they wieghed in a bigger fish, which I didnt mention in an attempt to sugar coat our fishing report.
    And there you have it. Some folks may get upset that I talk about fishing so much. I cant help it, I love it. Sorry I come off wrong sometimes, but Im really just a guy with a love for fishing that likes to talk about it, and share what little tips I think I can offer to newbies every now and then.
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
  • FlounderMcFluttonFlounderMcFlutton Posts: 170 Officer
    Umm... take a deep breath, and relax a moment. I love fishing, and I try to share that with others. I did put in a disclaimer by the way, just trying to share what little I know. Truth is, I am just an average fisherman......
    I didnt catch a single fish that day! Me and Roger Bump made a video that evening at the wiegh in..... "Net Boys, 2012". All I did was net the fish my team caught. My old man and Luis are both better inshore fisherman than me, which I think I have mentioned numerous times. And we didnt out fish the guys next to us, sure we caught a few more, which I mentioned, but they wieghed in a bigger fish, which I didnt mention in an attempt to sugar coat our fishing report.
    And there you have it. Some folks may get upset that I talk about fishing so much. I cant help it, I love it. If you hate me, maybe you shouldnt read my reports? Sorry I come off wrong sometimes, but Im really just a guy with a love for fishing that likes to talk about it, and share what little tips I think I can offer to newbies every now and then.

Smack talking between fishermen is absolutely normal.....I mean what else is there :banana
    Oh yea...within our crew the term net boy is used often....sucks being that guy
    That freakin banana does the same dance I do for my buddies when I out fish them...:rotflmao
    M&K TILE & PLUMBING
    FULL CUSTOM KITCHENS AND BATHROOMS
    TILE, TRAVERTINE, SLATE AND MARBLE FLOORING
    ( 904-370-0112 ) www.tileandplumbing.net
    Captbron wrote: »
    You dont think at least 40-50 of the other 420 boats were prefishing during the week as well???

I prefished the DAY BEFORE!!!! Did it help? Absolutely not! At least the man caught fish and honestly, that is a LOT better than a lot of other boats, including me, did.

I don't understand the reason why everyone has to bust Tony's b@lls. I mean the dude loves to fish and is really passionate about it. Good for him!!

I am sure there is a lot of us that wish we had the opportunities to fish as often as he does. If I could find a way to do it, not have the wife kill me and pay all the bills, I would!!
    Smack talking between fishermen is absolutely normal.....I mean what else is there :banana
    Oh yea...within our crew the term net boy is used often....sucks being that guy
    That freakin banana does the same dance I do for my buddies when I out fish them...:rotflmao

LMAO! No doubt..... I can hear the words "dont do it half a$$ Tony" ringing in my ears. If Im gonna be the net boy, **** Im gonna be the best net boy I can be. Luis kept saying "great job Tony, you didnt miss a single fish with that net today!" That was his humble way of talking MAD trash.
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
    I prefished the DAY BEFORE!!!! Did it help? Absolutely not! At least the man caught fish and honestly, that is a LOT better than a lot of other boats, including me, did.

I don't understand the reason why everyone has to bust Tony's b@lls. I mean the dude loves to fish and is really passionate about it. Good for him!!

I am sure there is a lot of us that wish we had the opportunities to fish as often as he does. If I could find a way to do it, not have the wife kill me and pay all the bills, I would!!

LOL, thanks brother. I hope Tasha continues to support me, otherwise I will be fishing in my kayak more often.
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
  • CaptbronCaptbron Posts: 28 Greenhorn

Maybe I worded it the wrong way but what I meant was to give Tony a hard time for not placing in a field of 420 boats is pretty rediculous. Im sure there are lots of other guys who prefished more than Tony leading up to this Tournament. Good going on your day Tony
  • shouldabeenworkinshouldabeenworkin Posts: 60 Deckhand
    Great post and thanks for the info, never done much head huntin but I think I'll be giving it more attention, especially on those windy days when the flats are closed out.
  • Scrappy CocoScrappy Coco Posts: 58 Deckhand

Wow...I haven't seen that much hatin' since the Player Haters' Ball. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKXwj7ZrHIc&feature=related

Tony, thanks for all the posts. Keep it up.
    Thank you guys very much for the support!

The fact that I get to fish a lot, that alone makes some jealous. It bums me out when people hate, but it just kinda goes with the territory and at this point Im pretty used to it.

It makes me feel great when I can contribute and people appreciate it, thank you very much for the kind words!
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
    LOL I just got a good chuckle...... "Scrappy CoCo" lol Good movie!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file