Where's The Bait???

Can we get the bait thread pinned back up please????

Replies

• Tarponjumper2Tarponjumper2 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Always had luck on Mondongo Key getting white bait. How about you?
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,353 Admiral
    Lot's of big white bait around Bokelia the last few weeks. I'm going offshore this weekend looking for some big pins. Anyone netted anything around St. James City?
  • CaptCapeCoralCaptCapeCoral Posts: 137 Officer
    I had great luck on the Pins off of Chino, chummed for a little while, one throw and had small, med, and large.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,855 Captain
    chummed at span b at the causeway and caught around 15 to 20 pins and a net full of greenbacks/pilchards. There was also 4 to 5 large schools of ballyhoo roaming that same flat.
  • bayhawkbayhawk Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    last week there was large white bait out front of tarpon bay chummed 10 min and blacked out the well
    :fishing
  • In Too DeepIn Too Deep Posts: 124 Officer
    2 weekends ago I loaded up on nice white bait and some threadfins in Lemon Bay...this past weekend was nothing but greenbacks :(.
    Chummed up around 3 dozen pins on flat next to span B all medium to large. Only took 10 minutes. Also picnic island had alot of bait schooling and large pins. Saw a couple small schools of ballyhoo in same area.
    Spent 1 minute chumming on flat next to span b and with one throw had around 75 medium pins. There was 5 to 6 schools of ballyhoo in the same area. Around picnic island large pins. The Island just north of picnic island had hundreds of mullet around it.
    Chino island has a ton of pinfish and schools of finger mullet. Hundreds of big mullet on flat in between span b and picnic island. Schools of ballyhoo are in same area.
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,353 Admiral
    chummed up a lot of pins and about a dozen 8 inch white baits just off the south side of the Sanibel Causeway today. Still looking for the big 8 inch pins to go offshore with.
  • GatorInPISoundGatorInPISound Posts: 543 Officer
    I chummed around the Useppa Flats and picked up rather small white bait and pins. Did pick up some very nice ballyhoo.....did not take too long, maybe 4-7 throws.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Trust in the LORD and receive HIS many blessings....
    Still plenty of pins and pilchards on flat by span b. Went out to may reef and large schools of big white bait and ballyhoo. On way to the reef we saw at least a dozen schools of bait
  • Knight PatrolKnight Patrol Posts: 38 Deckhand
    Small white bait on Jug Creek Shoals
  • mb5322mb5322 Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Ugh, where the hell is the bait? Tripod was empty this morning, as were the beaches and the flats, did manage to get some small bait (just enough to fish a few hour) walking one beach. I keep hearing the sanibel causeway is holding, but that is a 24 mile round trip for me, but may have to start doing it.
  • SSAofSWFLSSAofSWFL Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    I'll be out the next three days so eventually ill find it. I have a good idea where to look. gotta avoid all the freshwater coming from the river
    Bait schools 200-300 yards off the beach just outside of Big Carlos pass just look for the birds diving. Schools of finger mullet cruising the mangroves of Mound key.
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    When you guys say you were chumming for the bait, what specifically were you using? Bits of shrimp or something different? Thanks for any advice you would be willing to provide
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tropical fish food. Its a dry chum that you mix with water and throw out gradually until you see alot of bait then throw the net. Alot of bait shops sell it in ziploc baggies or you can buy a 50 # bag at a feed store. There's one located on MLK blvd. www.futralsfeedstore.com
  • mb5322mb5322 Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    or I mix cans of mackerel with corn meal and mix it to a pastey consistency and toss it behind the boat in small chunks till I see the bait.
    When I was younger my cousin would chum with canned cat food. Not just any cat food, it had to be cozy kitten cat food. He swore that cozy kitten was the best chum for bait
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Thanks for all of the advice guys. I actually went to Petco and got a variety of things to try. Some floating pellets of fish food, dry seafood flavored cat food, and then some canned seafood flavored cat food. I will plan to give all of these a try and see what works - then use either a cast net or sabiki rod to catch them. Would love to have a pinfish trap but unfortunately my boat is at a marina, since I do not own a residence with a private dock. I also appreciate all of the experienced people who took the time to point me in the right direction on safety equipment on a different thread. Getting satellite weather and an EPIRB installed as we speak. Less than 3 weeks until our trip down to Sarasota.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,067 Officer
    looking for some big baits...cigars, big herring, bally's. any by the S. causeway
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
    Schools of finger mullet on the black island side of Big Carlos pass. Found pinfish on 3 different grass flats with just a couple of minutes of chumming. Several large schools of mullet along southern section of east wall. Juvenile tarpon in this area too
  • chicochico Posts: 501 Officer
    Any threadfins hanging around the tressles?? The small ones are like crack for the macks!!!
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,369 Officer
    Caught some very nice white-bait in Englewood about 5 days ago. Went to my old "go-to" hole. It was about 6 ft deep and full of big minnows. So, they are still around, just in deeper holes.
    Thanks for the info. I have already fished Placida with live threadfins and the macs were all over them as soon as they hit the water. Nothing else worked like those livies.
    any bait up the Calusa....near any of the bridges?
  • DoodidleDoodidle Posts: 141 Officer
    tileman wrote: »
    any bait up the Calusa....near any of the bridges?

I caught some 4" whitebait in the river about a week ago. I usually go to the S.Causway but they have been small ones lately. The bigger bait seems to have moved into the river. Its hard to spot them unless you are there early or right before dusk when the water calms down.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    how far up the river were ya?
    Any threadfins hanging around the Placida tressles?? they can be "candy" for the spanish macs!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file