Hunting for Trophy Sheepshead - 02/15/2012

Me and my partner Bob went out for half a day this afternoon in his boat to hunt for some trophy sheeps in deep water. We fished 40 to 45 foot water in the river on some good looking bottom and caught some nice sheepshead. Oh boy we missed / lost some nice ones that felt every bit 10 pounds. There was a point I was about to cry when I lost 3 straight bigguns.

Ended the day with 21 sheeps and 3 drum. We had a couple 8 pounders and couple 7 pounders. Moby **** is still out there! We were surprised that the sheeps could see our fiddlers that deep in faint light with all that fog all around us.

Man, even a 8 pound sheep in 40 foot of water feels like fighting a freaking mack truck and many times we were on our knees fighting them. I forgot to take my new GoPro HD Hero 2, otherwise I could have caught some nice footage of these fights.

Here are the pictures. Sorry for the bad picture quality.

IMG_0119.JPG

IMG_0126.JPG

IMG_0124.JPG

Arun.

Replies

• JboatJboat Posts: 1,337 Officer
    Thats a nice haul fellas.
  • IshIsh Posts: 797 Officer
    You all crushed it !
  • Kapn SkinnyKapn Skinny Posts: 1,008 Officer
    :crowd
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tagtag Posts: 8,668 Admiral
    Wow, way to clean up.
  • kajokajo Posts: 4,619 Moderator
    Nice work!!

What rigs were used? Just fiddlers or crab also?
    julington creek carpet care

www.jccarpetcare.com
  • king 1king 1 Posts: 257 Deckhand
    arun you are a fish slayer:hail
    great job
  • SaltwaterMarshSaltwaterMarsh Posts: 266 Officer
    Nice job arun!!!!!!!! what weight and rig? also what baits were you using?
  • arunramarunram Posts: 1,628 Officer
    Jboat wrote: »
    Thats a nice haul fellas.

Thanks.
    Ish wrote: »
    You all crushed it !

Thanks.
    :crowd

Thanks.

tag wrote: »
    Wow, way to clean up.

Thanks.
    kajo wrote: »
    Nice work!!

What rigs were used? Just fiddlers or crab also?

Thanks Kajo.

We used 30 to 50 briad on our reels and a stout rod and good sized reel. 2/0 J hooks and 8" 30 lb flouro leader. Fishing that deep and still feeling the bite, you definitely need braid. we fished with 2 to 8 oz lead depending on the current. You need a heavy reel when using 8 oz weight, 'coz otherwise your rod won't be balanced and fatigue builds and your hand starts hurting when you are barely tapping the bottom with the lead.

All the fish were caught on fiddlers. We did of course soak two rods with 16 oz bank sinker and half blue crab but were surprised nothing hit it. Only trash fish were chewing on them.

king 1 wrote: »
    arun you are a fish slayer:hail
    great job

Thanks! It's days like this that make up for the bad days :)
    Nice job arun!!!!!!!! what weight and rig? also what baits were you using?

We used 30 to 50 briad on our reels and a stout rod and good sized reel. 2/0 J hooks and 8" 30 lb flouro leader. Fishing that deep and still feeling the bite, you definitely need braid. we fished with 2 to 8 oz lead depending on the current. You need a heavy reel when using 8 oz weight, 'coz otherwise your rod won't be balanced and fatigue builds and your hand starts hurting when you are barely tapping the bottom with the lead.

All the fish were caught on fiddlers. We did of course soak two rods with 16 oz bank sinker and half blue crab but were surprised nothing hit it. Only trash fish were chewing on them.

Arun.
  • SaltwaterMarshSaltwaterMarsh Posts: 266 Officer
    Thanks Brotha ! i need to try the deep water head huntin
  • RedactionRedaction Posts: 1,413 Officer
    Nice Arunram! I would accurate directions to this 40 to 45ft location in the river, please PM me...LOL!!!!! Keep it up!
  • 4wheelers4wheelers Posts: 46 Deckhand
    When you were using 2oz then obviously the current was dead in 40+ depth.Did they bite better when current was slow or when it sped up??Nice haul of feesh have you finished cleaning them all yet?
  • arunramarunram Posts: 1,628 Officer
    Redaction wrote: »
    Nice Arunram! I would accurate directions to this 40 to 45ft location in the river, please PM me...LOL!!!!! Keep it up!

Thanks! If I did, my partner would take a little time off from work, come shoot me in the head and start looking for you...lol!
    4wheelers wrote: »
    When you were using 2oz then obviously the current was dead in 40+ depth.Did they bite better when current was slow or when it sped up??Nice haul of feesh have you finished cleaning them all yet?

Didn't matter! They we biting at slack tide too.
    I cleaned them the same evening. It took me a solid 1.5 hours to fillet them all!

Arun.
  • no peekinno peekin Posts: 781 Officer
    Tight work guys.That is doing some catching of them thieves!
    BIGFISH ROOFING. 570-1973. ccc1330441
  • Devil DogDevil Dog Posts: 109 Officer
    Great job
  • RedactionRedaction Posts: 1,413 Officer
    arunram wrote: »
    Thanks! If I did, my partner would take a little time off from work, come shoot me in the head and start looking for you...lol!

That made me LOL!!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file