Shrimping questions?

cranker789cranker789 Posts: 250 Officer
When is the best time to go shrimping? how do you know when they are going to run? Will you get more searching in grass flats, or shrimp off a ledge with lights and a dip net? I live by biscayne bay.. I went out twice last week and saw maybe 5 both days combined...

Replies

• Michael RepperMichael Repper Posts: 4,897 Officer
    Are you using bait? Get a bag of Fish Meal from Ace Hardware. Fill a couple 5 Gal buckets with clay. Mix fish meal thoroughly into the clay. Form the batch into jumbo 'hamburger patties'. Save the leftover clay you haven't mixed with fish meal for your next trip. Scatter these patties over the area you will be casting your net. Catch Scrizumpsks.
  • cranker789cranker789 Posts: 250 Officer
    Thanks for the tip.. I'll try this out and hopefully see some shrimp!
  • Flyers UpFlyers Up Posts: 655 Officer
    The best time to go shrimping in that area is when the water temp is about 66 to 69 Deg,s also a few days during and after a full moon. We did well this year during january in the Goverment cut turning basin with dip nets and a cast net. We filled up a five gallon bucket in about two hours for about 5 days strait and a lot of extra large shrimp in the mix. I make my own dip nets, all hand made you can see them on Craigs List. This is an activity that the entire family can enjoy ether from a boat or from sea wall. Hope this helps..
  • copout@castawayscopout@castaways Posts: 5,779 Officer
    you want to get set up at high tide & wait for the outgoing. find a spot where the current moves through quickly. we use hydro glows or you can even use smaller submersible florescent lights sold at bass pro. be sure to bring an extra battery if you don't have at least two on the boat. set up on the falling side of a bridge or dockage. I recently found a great spot in Miami two weeks ago. It can be very hit or miss & you can miss the run be one night. We went on a Wednesday night & did well, then my buddies went again Friday & got an appitizer, then the following Monday they RAN!!! Heard of some commercial boats getting 1400+lbs. Just like anything else if you put your time in you'll find them. If I can be of more help just ask, I'm no expert just a guy that likes to drink beer & stare at the water.
    Thank you castaways and flyers, you inspired me to go shrimping on saturday and they were real thick.. Set up at high tide with my flashlight and dip net caught a lot for a good 2 hours.. Finally had some luck this year.. Check it out
    005.jpg 91.8K
    Great job! Now turn those into this....
    :hungry
  • BruteBrute Posts: 164 Officer
    Ya know what drives me crazy?
    Restaurant shrimp with the mud veins still in them! Ewwww!!! :puke
    When I was a teenage deckhand, I was taught to hold a jumbo shrimp in each hand and pinch the heads off with my thumbnail, and the mud vein remained attached and was flicked away along with the head.
    Have our seafood providers forgotten this technique?
    Brute, I'd like to know your method. As much as I love shrimp the deveining is so **** tedious!
  • ElementElement Posts: 1,749 Officer
    Brute wrote: »
    Ya know what drives me crazy?
    Restaurant shrimp with the mud veins still in them! Ewwww!!! :puke
    When I was a teenage deckhand, I was taught to hold a jumbo shrimp in each hand and pinch the heads off with my thumbnail, and the mud vein remained attached and was flicked away along with the head.
    Have our seafood providers forgotten this technique?

That method definitely works simple enough, but I found only when the shrimp are still very fresh (heads popped right after the trip and kept pretty well iced). I've had some nights when I'm too wiped out to pop heads, so just keep them in the cooler until the next day and even at that point it's almost impossible to get the vein out still connected to the head.

The process is simple, reach into your cooler and grab a fistful of tentacles. So you have 12-20 shrimps hanging there. With your other hand, pinch the head from the sides, right where it meets the body and pull down. If you do it right (without pinching all the way through the shrimp and breaking the vein) then the vein will stay attached to the head. You wont get every single one, but will get most. Practice makes perfect and by the first few dozen you should have it figured out.. gotta do it when they're very fresh though.

On a side note, where do you guys get clay? I've always heard that up here in Jax, to use "river clay" but have never been able to find any so just use a little mud.
  • BruteBrute Posts: 164 Officer
    Brute, I'd like to know your method. As much as I love shrimp the deveining is so **** tedious!
    Element's post sounds like a good technique, although different from what I did on a shrimp boat more than forty years ago.
    Our shrimp were straight out of the net, so freshness wasn't an issue. We didn't hold them by their antennae in clusters, but held one in each hand. Like Element said, you don't want to pinch all the way through. A quick flick of the wrist flung the head into the pile of bycatch, followed by tossing the shrimp bodies into a basket, then grabbing two more shrimp out of the pile. This work was done very quickly once you got the hang of it.
    This only works with very fresh shrimp.
    Congrats Cranker, you were using a flash light and caught that many thats great. If you can get over to Bass Pro they have a smaller florescent light that is very afforable not as much as the Hydro Glow. You will light up a larger area and triple your catch.
    Congrats Cranker, If you were using a flash light and caught that many thats great. If you can get over to Bass Pro they have a smaller florescent light that is very afforable not as much as the Hydro Glow. You will light up a larger area and triple your catch.

Catchum Up
  • Blue197320Blue197320 Posts: 46 Deckhand
    i want to shrimp again soon. last time i went i got 150. not bad for the second attempt, first attempt only got 7. for lights on the boat i used car foglights mounted on pvc pipes with 90degree elbows in the rod holder and could see them floating by with the current.
    I would use a fluorencent light but i don't have a boat.. i shrimp of a ledge on the rickenbacker.. I paddle out on my Hobie Sport kayak and get out there that way, so its just easier to use a couple flashlights
  • anglingarchitectanglingarchitect Posts: 1,480 Officer
    You are throwing away all the flavor (sabor) of the shrimp when you pinch the heads off.

If you put them on ice alive with the head on and cook them right away with the head on you cant believe the taste difference.

There like crawfish that you cook alive and suck the heads good.
    rent my beach house

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file