Maverick boats in Sarasota / Bradenton area?

jbiblerjbibler Posts: 168 Officer
I'm currently shopping for a boat and could use some help.
I've narrowed my search down to a handful of hulls. Primarily the 17 or 18 Maverick HPX-V and the Maverick 17 or 18.5 Master Angler.
I've fished a 21 Master Angler a lot and love everything about it, but i'm planning to go a little smaller for two reasons.
1. So that it can fit inside of a standard garage 2. Smaller motor, smaller fuel bill. 3. Shallow draft is added benefit.

I'm not against Hewes 18 Redfishers, but I've seen both Hewes & Maverick and really prefer the quality of the Maverick.

Here's my dilemna. I'm looking at boats all over the state and before I drive 3,4,5+ hours and waste my time, the sellers time, gas, etc. I would love the opportunity to see the boats in person. Check them out and ride/fish on one if possible.
You can learn a lot about a boat by spending the day on one... opposed to just looking at it.

If there's anyone out there in the Bradenton/Sarasota area who owns a 17 HPX-V, 18 HPX-V, 17 MA, or 18.5 MA and would be willing to share some knowledge I would greatly appreciate it. I'll be more than happy to cover the fuel for the day and help clean her up.

Thanks a lot,
Josh B.
| Pathfinder 23 HPS | Yamaha 300 | Power-Pole | Minn-Kota | JL AUDIO | YETI |

• polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,052 Officer
    If you are considering the HPX and Master Angler models at the same time, I don't think you understand the differences as they are apples and oranges. The HPX line is a technical poling skiff and does some things very well at the expense of others. In return for a 9"-ish draft, the boat is tippy, does not have the well/storage capacity or rough water capability of the MA line. With the MA 17 and 18.5 (I have owned both), you get a much better ride, stable platform, storage, well capacity and 11"-12" draft at best. You "can" pole the MAs, the HPX shines on the pole. If you want a full rundown on my experience owning both, feel free to PM me. You need the right tool for the right job.

Good luck with your search....that is half the fun.
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    The distance from the tip of the trailer tongue to the prop is much further/longer than you think, and you will likely not be able to get the Master Angler in a standard garage - maybe if you put it in sideways/at an angle and have a break-away hitch at the trailers tongue. Then your car stays outside.
    My MA 17 fit straight in to my garage with room to spare with a break-away tongue trailer. My garage is 20'3" deep.
  • jbiblerjbibler Posts: 168 Officer
    Poleposition - Thanks for the info. I only know what I've read on the web... here & mbc forums. I know the HPX-V is more of a technical skiff and that the MA is a better riding boat, but my reason for asking for a ride was to see just how much of a difference it truly is. I'm curious why Maverick quit building the 18.5 MA? It seems like that would leave a need in their market. If you're buying new now, you only have the choice of an HPX-V or a 21 MA. Seems to me that it would make more sense to have another model MA instead of having 4 models of HPX-V????

I've been on an older 18.5 MA (1989) and also on a newer 21 MA... but I've never been on a HPX-V.

From what you said, it certainly sounds like the MA is the boat I need. I like getting shallow, but not at the expense of getting beat up.
    9 inch vs 12 inch draft is not a huge deal. I'll get out and wade if need be.

Thanks again for the info, I appreciate it.

Idlewilde - I don't currently have a house with a garage, but i'm planning to move in the next 4-6 months. Finding a place with adequate storage is one of my priorities. If the boat I get will not fit in a standard garage, I plan to have some sort of coverage (polebarn, canopy, etc.) that will keep the elements off of the boat.

Josh B.
    | Pathfinder 23 HPS | Yamaha 300 | Power-Pole | Minn-Kota | JL AUDIO | YETI |
    They will still make a Master Angler 18.5 on request...but be prepared to pay for it. For the same money, you could purchase one of other several other mid sized flats boats....and I would give strong consideration to the 18'9 Egret, but then again I am biased after having owned both.

I'll go on a limb and say that if you are not planning on poling primarily, you should choose a flats boat over a poling skiff.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file