Cobia Flies?

Does anyone do any hardcore targeting of cobia on fly? If so what flies are you throwing to the brown bombers?

Replies

• dunflydunfly Posts: 54 Deckhand
    Black Bonita Bunny with a long tail. Large dark colored Gurgler, again, with a long tail.
  • MUSKEGON MANMUSKEGON MAN Posts: 51 Deckhand
    Much like the one dunfly uses. Long magnum black rabbit tied on a #1/0 hook(right at the head). Easy to tie, and you don't mind losing them. Also works on sharks.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,225 Captain
    Does anyone do any hardcore targeting of cobia on fly? If so what flies are you throwing to the brown bombers?

I do quite a bit. Don't obsess over the patterns, they'll eat a 2/0 deciever about as quick as anything else. They're fun to play with, and you can tie up some really goofy flies that are absolutely devastating (as far as fish go they're pretty stupid). I've had days where they won't touch anything with flash on it (just saying), so have a few ready to go that are tied without it. I saw a 40-50lb fish inhale an empty beer can once, that should give you some idea of how incredibly stupid they are.

IMG_06061-1.jpg
    IMG_06011-1.jpg
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,562 Captain
    As ODC said keep a variety handy. You never know if they are color fickle or shape fickle or will swallow anything in the water or nothing.
    Here's a few I carry with me. The orange ones have worked good as the old chartruese and black. All have weighted eyes to help get them under the surface. All those feathers can make them bouyant which at times may not be a bad thing, but I prefer to get them down a little.
    I do keep a popper handy (made from a wine cork) in case noise is needed to entice them. It actually casts pretty good for what it is.
    Crazy puter, posted an xtra shot.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file