Do you bleed your fish?

2»

Replies

• FlashFlash Posts: 11,024 AG
    Only shark, Blues or Spanish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • nbseafrognbseafrog Posts: 521 Officer
    I bleed tunas, wahoo, kings (seldom kept), spanish & ceros, dolphin (when I'm not in the midst of schoolie chaos), black tips (seldom kept) almacos and AJs (seldom kept). Snappers, grouper, triggers and triple tails, I do not bleed. All of the above go into a salt water/ice slush. I believe the meat tastes more mild when bled and I know the fillets look better when bled.

As for the shark comments above... black tips taste great and aren't considered to be a threatened species. Never tried bonnet heads but I would. And just because Snookcathcher and I keep an occaissional non-threatened shark to eat, it doesn't put us in the ranks of MTS or others who **** the ocean. If you can't see the difference, that puts you in the ranks of PETA and other environmentalist groups who can't differentiate between responsible use from abuse.
    Catch 'em up!

Nick
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,096 Admiral
    I think I'll try and bleed my next redfish and see. It makes all the difference when bleeding mullet.
  • mako221mako221 Posts: 87 Deckhand
    Some fish might need to be bled Grouper, Snapper, Snook and most white meat fish I dont think it does any good!
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,810 Moderator
    mako221 wrote: »
    Some fish might need to be bled Grouper, Snapper, Snook and most white meat fish I dont think it does any good!

It does a LOT of good. I had always rolled my eyes too until recently. One quick jab into that piece of meant between the gills and a grouper / snapper whatever will pump blood.

When you go to clean it, it looks like THIS...

bledgrouper.jpg

Notice the few clots along the spine. This was him bleeding out, most ended up on the deck, but what didn't was stuck around the bone. A quick fine mist and your filet is 100% perfect. Whether I change any minds about bleeding such fish is really immaterial. Although, if your fish keeps better you can make it go further in terms of dining, which means you can kill / waster fewer. NOT that I'm some kind of tree hugger.

That was one of the first trips that I had a guy on board that insisted. I made fun of him all day and he just let it roll off his back. I took very little fish out of the 500# haul back.... a couple grouper filets, and an AJ loin, I believe. Anyway, the groupers that trip probably averaged 20 pounds. I carefully froze most of the grouper and kept two filets in the fridge... caught them all on Friday afternoon ./ night, cleaned them Sat afternoon... ate off those filets out of my 33 degree fridge on Monday, Tues, Wed, Thur, and SATURDAY and each meal tasted 2 hours old. Amazing.

Take it or leave it. I"m kind of fish snob and the reason I never keep much is because I can barely stomach frozen fish and even afte a 2-3 days on ice or in real cold fridge I'm not wild about it.

Oh, and for those of you that dont' like AJs... I guess you don't like a firm fish that cooks up great and looks like this. All about bleeding, some time in the kitchen with a sharp knife and properly icing! PS - these steaks are off about a 52 pounder.

e.jpg
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,699 Captain
    el wrong o.

Actual el right-o. The only reason you bleed tuna is because they are one of the very warm blooded fish. Because of that, there body temperature rising during battle and lactic acid builds up. The heat and acid are detrimental to the flesh. The most effecient way to cool them is to bleed them (while still alive) and purge the blood.

You guys bleeding other fish are doing little more than changing the color of the meat but if it makes you happy, keep on bleeding. Personally I'd rather use that time to get baits back on the water and catch more fish.
    You guys bleeding other fish are doing little more than changing the color of the meat but if it makes you happy, keep on bleeding. Personally I'd rather use that time to get baits back on the water and catch more fish.

You very well may be right.

All I know is that I started bleeding "other fish" and they taste better initially and the quality endures for a greater length of time. Maybe it's just coincidence, but as long as things keep going like they are, I'll use one hand to poke that little spot that exudes quanities of blood and other unknown fluids (I'm no biologist) while my other hand backs the hook out. I'd be willling to bet that I'll still have a bait back in the water quicker than you will while you bust out some fancy pliers or a flip stick. ;-)
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,699 Captain
    I must admit that grouper and AJ look pretty damned good!

Oh, and I'm guilty on the pliers but don't even know what a "flip stick" is and I'll take your bet, you're gonna regret 'cause I'm the quickest there's ever been. ;-)
    Careful... I'm pretty quick....

Not like I used to be, thanks to fat and getting older, but I do have a lot to do with the number of fish I bring home. If you're ever near Panama City give me a ring. Boat goes slow, but I fish fast, real fast; even on anchor. Love it!
  • nbseafrognbseafrog Posts: 521 Officer
    It does a LOT of good. I had always rolled my eyes too until recently. One quick jab into that piece of meant between the gills and a grouper / snapper whatever will pump blood.

Hey Panhandler,

Beautiful looking AJ fillets. I've fed many a well bled and chilled AJ fillet to friends prejudice against AJs because they 'heard' it was only suitabke for smoking only to have them rave about how good that fish was. "What kind of fish was that?" After I get them to commit that they really liked it, I let them in on the secret. AJs really hold up well on the grill too. Much better than softer fish like snapper. How you treat a fish from the time it's boated til it comes off the pan makes all the difference in the world.

So, can you show me in a pic where you stab your groupers for the easy bleed? And does that same spot work on other flavors of fish?
    Catch 'em up!

Nick
  • p914p914 Posts: 474 Deckhand
    Take it or leave it. I"m kind of fish snob and the reason I never keep much is because I can barely stomach frozen fish and even afte a 2-3 days on ice or in real cold fridge I'm not wild about it.
    Hey Panhandler80, Have you ever tried to vacuum packed your fish to freeze? I've done this many times and get fresh tasting fish even after a year in the freeze. Here's my method. Refrigerate the meat for a day or so. Filet or steak up the meat. Pat it down with paper towel lightly. Wrap pieces in plastic cling wrap. Foodsaver is what I use to vacuum pack. Vacuum pack it and freeze. Check every few weeks to make sure the seal is intact.

Give it a try sometime.
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file