Do you bleed your fish?

p914p914 Posts: 474 Deckhand
Bleed or no? and why?

Since I recently relocated back down here to Fla. I used to bleed my salmon and steelheads when I caught em. How about for saltwater fish? pros or cons about it?
Thanks

Replies

• nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,353 Admiral
    I don't bleed mine unless I'm going to keep a shark, or a tuna. Tuna I will gut asap and pack in ice.
  • James243James243 Posts: 692 Officer
    I'll bleed any fish I'm going to keep... if I remember to. I don't think there is a con to it besides you can't cull that way. I think what is true for salmon is true for any fish, or creature for that matter. I notice it makes the filets look much nicer/no blood in veins.
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,349 Officer
    I bleed the bigger fish, dolphin, grouper, cobia, tuna, and gut them, the bottom fish, snappers I don't bleed unless it is a nice sized mutton.
  • UnderslotUnderslot Posts: 370 Officer
    We incidentally bled out a Wahoo last week and the consensus on the crew was that the meat was whiter and tasted better so yes… bleeding out fish is a good practice to get into. Now if I can only master avoiding a green Wahoo’s mouth as I try to bleed it out.
  • SpinfisherSpinfisher Posts: 753 Officer
    Yes, I bleed most fish I catch.
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 10,994 AG
    How do your bleed a Hoo?
    Fisherman.gif

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • ElementElement Posts: 1,749 Officer
    I got in the habit of bleeding kingfish and cobia one season. About 3/4 of the way through the season I was convinced neither one tasted or looked any different then before I bled them so don't even bother now. Most everyone agrees to bleed tuna, but I think anything other than that is debateable although it certainly couldnt hurt. If for no other reason, removing the warm blood and guts allows the fish to cool on ice much quicker and therefore keeps it fresher.
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    Yes, I bleed fish. Usally by cutting through gill plates straight down. I think it tastes better than non bled fish.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • kbkeyskbkeys Posts: 690 Officer
    highly charged and oxygenated fish like tuna family members yes with a cut in throat or towards tail. MOST IMPORTANT is the proper chilling with a slurry of clean sea water and ice. ALWAYS keep your filets/steaks in a ziplok surrounded by ice in cooler or frig. Don't just bag and toss in frig. Major difference in length and quality of freshness.
  • IshIsh Posts: 797 Officer
    I do on kings every time
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,744 Captain
    yes-more humane to the fish, fillets are cleaner.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • 001001 Posts: 4,292 Officer
    Only tuna, no other fish.
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    Mango Man wrote: »
    How do your bleed a Hoo?

The same way you do a tuna. :thumbsup

and if you don't know how to bleed a tuna, ask - lots of us here can help with answers - and some of us may do it a little different than others.
  • p914p914 Posts: 474 Deckhand
    Thanks to all who answer/ed. It's always been a practice of mine to bleed a fish not only for cleaner meat but also with salmon we harvest the eggs for bait and bleeding them means no bloody eggs that can go bad. I also give my fish a wood shampoo then slit their throat. The shampoo put's em out quick and the slit speeds up the process.
  • seatroutmasterseatroutmaster Posts: 35 Deckhand
    fishing runs through my blood!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • holymackerelholymackerel Posts: 232 Officer
    Ish wrote: »
    I do on kings every time
    i do kings as well cut the V section between gills and place them head down in a bucket of water.Works wonders for grilling.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,105 Officer
    If you bleed a fish while its heart is still pumping you will remove more blood than bleeding it after it dies.
    I like to bleed blackfins by tying them off by the tail and dropping them over the side while their heart does the rest, or if they are small, I just drop them alive head first into a five gallon bucket of seawater after making the cut.
    Giimoozaabi
  • MiamipescadorMiamipescador Posts: 696 Officer
    Only bleed for tunas, no reason to bleed any other fish.
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,905 Captain
    Just becareful on how you cut them because if they are just within slot and you cut them straight thru the throat/gills and all the way thru it will extend them, and
    now you have a fish overslot...and depending on the FWC that catches you.
    One who understand what happens and a newie who doesnt know crap... it could end up being a really $$$ fish...

It happen to a guy i know down at SI with a snook
    aa13.gif "A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • sharkatak1089sharkatak1089 Posts: 6,407 Officer
    Only bleed for tunas, no reason to bleed any other fish.
    el wrong o.
    I am choice.
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.
    the only fish i keep are redfish, for blackening.....and snook and flounder for sashimi/tacos...usually when gigged, the flounder bleed out nicely. snook on the other hand, i'll rip the bloodline with my finger after removing the gig. (its the spaghetti feeling thing in the bottom of the throat/gill area. you'll know when you pull it, usually it will squirt.)
    I am choice.
    Ive tried bled snapper and grouper and honestly its the same, if anything it cuts from the taste.
    What is the point of eating fresh fish if it doesnt taste like fish?
    Im willing to bet some of the same guys that bleed snapper, groupers, etc are the same guys that overseason the fish, and it ends up tasting like seasoning.... Do yourself a favor and buy some tilapia fillets and eat those for gods sake!

Fish is meant to taste as it is... there is NO reason to bleed white meat fish .
    there is NO reason to bleed white meat fish .
    you like the taste of fish oil? or iron?
    I am choice.
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,349 Officer
    The reason I bleed most fish is to keep the filets clean. When fileting un bled fish most of the time when the knife hits the back bone at the head lots of blood drains out and turns the filets red and all bloody. I find that bleeding and guting the fish gives me cleaner filets at the filets table.
  • snookcatcher1snookcatcher1 Posts: 256 Officer
    If you decide to keep a Black Tip or Bonnet Head for the table, gut them and bleed them A.S.A.P. Some guys half jokingly say, "Dress your small shark before you pull them out of the water."
    (Disclaimer - I am not for the harvest of pressured shark species like Tigers and Hammers.)
    If you decide to keep a Black Tip or Bonnet Head for the table, gut them and bleed them A.S.A.P. Some guys half jokingly say, "Dress your small shark before you pull them out of the water."
    (Disclaimer - I am not for the harvest of pressured shark species like Tigers and Hammers.)

You must be friends with mark the shark
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,905 Captain
    You have never eaten Blacktip have you, and keeping one once in awhile isnt in the same class as MTS :huh hell if thats the case i know alot of people
    who would be in that group...:blowkiss
    aa13.gif "A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • snookcatcher1snookcatcher1 Posts: 256 Officer
    You must be friends with mark the shark

I really don't want to distract from this post's topic, but forgive this side note ... Black Tip and Bonnet Nose Shark/Fish are very prevalent, are not over fished or over harvested. Taking a small one for table fare ONCE IN A WHILE to eat is perfectly fine. This is VERY different from the harvesting of sexually mature pressured species like Tigers and Hammers. The occasional harvest of the common small species is for eating. The harvest of the big species is usually for trophy. The big females are usually killed, wasted and can't continue to reproduce. Many of the large shark species take years just to get a sexually mature age and reproduce. That's why they need to stay in the ocean for as long as possible and not be harvested. This is not a problem with the smaller species already mentioned. I am very much against the needless killing of the large shark species! (Again, Please forgive the detour in subject.)

If you're going to keep a Black Tip or Bonnet Nose, dress him and bleed him immediately. Then soak the meat in a salt solution, grill and enjoy.
  • GILS_GONE_WILDGILS_GONE_WILD Posts: 111 Officer
    If you don't like the taste of fish then bleed it. Just don't bleed mine (unless it's shark) .... I like fish!!! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file