NE Fishing Etiquette

2»

Replies

• brad safreedbrad safreed Posts: 562 Officer
    DevilDog91 wrote: »
    ^ lol theres a million creeks you can idle through? ****?

there are several stretches of the creeks north of the St John's that are "shortcuts" between major creeks and the Intracoastal and I will run past people on plane in these areas unless there is a safety concern. Most people I know that fish the creeks will do the same. In all of the dead end creeks and skinny stretches, I will always come off plane and idle past other fishermen. Perhaps if people keep coming by you on plane, you might be in one of the cut through creeks?

sorry devildog, didn't mean to quote you, just wanted to reply to the OP.
  • nitroskiffnitroskiff Posts: 1,618 Captain
    , but there a certainly few aholes out there who don't show any respect for kayakers and thats why I always have a few "spare" 3 oz egg sinkers w/in reach at all times.

I would be very careful at who you through egg sinkers at...

u may find yourself swimming home or shot
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Nitro Performance Bass Boats
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,055 Admiral
    Yeah....throw one at Special Agent Barney, and see what you get.....

....btw, Barney slows for no one....besides, he says that his 18 foot catamaran and e-tec, throws no wake...even at full blast. :cool
  • reedreed Posts: 322 Officer
    windblows wrote: »
    Especially the mouth of, or anywhere in, the main channel going back to the Oak Harbor boat ramp. Really? Why would you do that?

How about kayaks? I run into these guys all the time in creeks and try to slow down to a slow idle when possible or go by on plane if it's a main creek or too shallow for me to come off plane. I can tell they don't like it when I go by on plane, but sometimes it's all I can do. Like everyone else has said, they should hate it more if I slow down to a 2200 rpm "idle" and plow by.

I like to fish the mouths of smaller creeks along Sisters and near Vilano beach in St Aug. But whether I am up in a little feeder creek, intracoastal, sisters creek, or the St Johns I have sense enough to anchor up off to the side, out of the way of the main channel and leave enough room for others to get by. I have never encountered an idiot that acutally had the lack of sense to fish right in the middle of the mouth of a creek!

In the short time I have fishing here I have not run into any bad conduct on the water except for one time.......I was fishing a creek in St Aug and a commercial guy came up the creek and started throwing what looke like a 20ft cast net all the way up to us, beside us, and in front of us. If he had been able to fit between me and the creek bank I think he would have thrown there too. I didn't say anything. After all he pulled up was mullet, we left anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Captain BrianCaptain Brian Posts: 336 Officer
    Those mullet ******rs are usually out of towners and have zero etiquette.
    Come that close to me with a net and I promise you will not get that net back in one piece!!!!!!
    Off topic but what do they do with all those mullet? Sell as bait fish? Sell for food?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FlatheadfishermanFlatheadfisherman Posts: 800 Officer
    Seems like most people are in a hurry these days. Glad I do most of my fishing during the week now.
  • UnderslotUnderslot Posts: 370 Officer
    My wife says I sound like an **** all the time… but I’m really not. You guys just need to understand that just because you like to go out, drop an anchor, soak a mullet head, and have a beer doesn’t mean that everyone else does. I paid good money for a boat that allows me to fish anywhere from Jacksonville to Palm Coast, if I idled past every boat I saw I wouldn’t get anywhere and might as well have a Gheenoe. Like everyone else, if I can idle I will but if I can’t I can’t. I could be making a run and you happen to be in a section of the creek that I’m making said run in OR I could be jamming out of a creek that I simply cannot come off plane to get out of. I can think of several creeks that have 2’ of water at the mouth but have 20’ holes in the way back.

I fished out of a small boat for years and never once yelled at faster, bigger fishing boats flying past me - Snowbirds lugging their 60’ Carver yes, but a fellow fisherman no. It’s part of fishing, deal with it. Take Pine Island for example… at low tide you pretty much have to go around the south side. On any weekend there could be a dozen boats stacked up out there… some on anchor… some working the banks. You think I’m going to idle all the way around the island??? Nope, and neither would you.

Quit crying and deal with it! No one means any harm and we’re all out there to have fun and catch fish our own way.
    reed wrote: »
    Off topic but what do they do with all those mullet? Sell as bait fish? Sell for food?

By fall the mullet have a lot of fat on 'em...making them perfect to smoke. They're also full of roe, and since they can't gill net 'em anymore, they have to throw big cast nets for 'em.

Mullet roe is big business....and gets top dollar. A tough way to make a living if you ask me....but those boys travel all over the state chasing those critters.

steve
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,085 Admiral
    Underslot wrote: »
    My wife says I sound like an **** all the time… but I’m really not. You guys just need to understand that just because you like to go out, drop an anchor, soak a mullet head, and have a beer doesn’t mean that everyone else does. I paid good money for a boat that allows me to fish anywhere from Jacksonville to Palm Coast, if I idled past every boat I saw I wouldn’t get anywhere and might as well have a Gheenoe. Like everyone else, if I can idle I will but if I can’t I can’t. I could be making a run and you happen to be in a section of the creek that I’m making said run in OR I could be jamming out of a creek that I simply cannot come off plane to get out of. I can think of several creeks that have 2’ of water at the mouth but have 20’ holes in the way back.

I fished out of a small boat for years and never once yelled at faster, bigger fishing boats flying past me - Snowbirds lugging their 60’ Carver yes, but a fellow fisherman no. It’s part of fishing, deal with it. Take Pine Island for example… at low tide you pretty much have to go around the south side. On any weekend there could be a dozen boats stacked up out there… some on anchor… some working the banks. You think I’m going to idle all the way around the island??? Nope, and neither would you.

Quit crying and deal with it! No one means any harm and we’re all out there to have fun and catch fish our own way.

Dude. I know your good nature.... you let me, a stranger, borrow your fly rod for weeks. Even gave me a lesson!
    So I know you mean no harm. But, even though you are joking around, your posts bother me. I cant stand to see the seperation amongst anglers. I know you mean no harm, but this kind of talk is like a snow ball. Im a lure fisherman. Im a bait fisherman. Im a rec. Im a comm. Im an off, Im an in...... etc. This kind of talk has to be put behind us once and for all! We all want to catch a fish and we must unite as one, whether you have an Egret and a flyrod, or a john boat and a mullet head. We all must get along, and unite or our sport is done. Sorry, rant over.
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
  • JboatJboat Posts: 1,337 Officer
    Here is what I'll tell you. If I see you fishing in a creek I'll slow down(no wake) the first time. If you blow by me later in the day while I'm anchored, expect the same when I head out. If you are in a boat the gives me an indication that you wouldnt slow for me, ie nauticstar, or a 30 ft yacht don't expect me to slow down for you, cause I know you wouldn't return the favor. Also at some point we have to look at how me slowing will effect you. If you are in a 13 ft Jon then yes I'll slow. But if I come around a corner and you are in a boat the same size or bigger than mine it may be better for you if I don't slow down. I throw a bigger wake at 10 mph than I do at 20. Either way, I respect the fact that you are fishing and 9 times out of 10 will slow and ask if you have had any luck.
  • UnderslotUnderslot Posts: 370 Officer
    That not what I meant Tony. I don't care what You fish with but not everyone fishes sitting still, I'm always on the move, that's my point. Whereas someone that sits on the hook for an entire tide cycle in a creek mouth might get pissed about guys "running past them". It would be like having a picnic in the middle of 9a... If your gonna do it you're gonna get buzzed.
  • NaClH20NaClH20 Posts: 78 Deckhand
    Boy this really blew up. I guess to sum it all up from what I'm reading, it's OK to go at idle speed past someone working in a creek, if you can safely do that, just try and be respectful. I still think I'd have a really hard time idling past someone with a trolling motor and lines in the water. I just hope we can all get along and catch some fish. That's what it is all about anyway.
    Whereas someone that sits on the hook for an entire tide cycle in a creek mouth might get pissed about guys "running past them". It would be like having a picnic in the middle of 9a... If your gonna do it you're gonna get buzzed.

LMAO!! That is a funny analogy. LMAO...

Im not getting in the middle of this....but I do like that LOL.

The other day I was entering a creek and there where 2-3 boats beached at the mouth of the creek on a island....sorry, I had to go through there full on a plane becouse it was so shallow.....

I try to be polite (except for the idots from JU with there crew teams), but there are times I am not comming off a plane 4-6 times in one creek.
    Those idiots in the St JOhns in there little row boats, there all over the place. There in the main channels. I used to come off a plane and try to go past them at idle speed. They keep rowing.......we are going the same speed. Well, screw that, Back on a plane WOT. Im not going idle speed for miles in the river and watch them row.

Bottom line...use the correct craft for the water way or situation!!!! Drive safe and try to be polite.

I will not take my old boat or my new one to the Jetties..if I was stupid enough to go to the jetties and a big ship or boat came by with a huge wake, well, last time I heard the jetties is not a no wake zone. My dumba@@ should not be out there!!!

Flats boat or bass boat, I fish inshore, mainly creeks. Main channels and such, get a bigger boat!

People who are anchored. I will stop fishing within 100yds, go around you with my tm and start fishing 50+yds away... People using a TM, if your working a bank I will go else where. Or if it is a very long bank, I may go way down the opossite direction you are heading.

If its a tournament.....all bets are off!!!!! Im WOT, Im fishing anywhere I need to.

Use the proper boat for the area or be prepaired for trouble.....be safe not stupid
  • ElementElement Posts: 1,749 Officer
    NaClH20 wrote: »
    Boy this really blew up. I guess to sum it all up from what I'm reading, it's OK to go at idle speed past someone working in a creek, if you can safely do that, just try and be respectful. I still think I'd have a really hard time idling past someone with a trolling motor and lines in the water. I just hope we can all get along and catch some fish. That's what it is all about anyway.
    Ready to move back to Stuart yet?
  • ElementElement Posts: 1,749 Officer
    Dude. I know your good nature.... you let me, a stranger, borrow your fly rod for weeks. Even gave me a lesson!
    So I know you mean no harm. But, even though you are joking around, your posts bother me. I cant stand to see the seperation amongst anglers. I know you mean no harm, but this kind of talk is like a snow ball. Im a lure fisherman. Im a bait fisherman. Im a rec. Im a comm. Im an off, Im an in...... etc. This kind of talk has to be put behind us once and for all! We all want to catch a fish and we must unite as one, whether you have an Egret and a flyrod, or a john boat and a mullet head. We all must get along, and unite or our sport is done. Sorry, rant over.
    Tony check your PM
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,085 Admiral
    That not what I meant Tony. I don't care what You fish with but not everyone fishes sitting still, I'm always on the move, that's my point. Whereas someone that sits on the hook for an entire tide cycle in a creek mouth might get pissed about guys "running past them". It would be like having a picnic in the middle of 9a... If your gonna do it you're gonna get buzzed.

I know you meant no harm brotha... it was just a chance for me to exlimpify our egearness of seperation.

If you fish, you are my friend. If you are against any form of sustained fishery possibilities, you are not. Not trying to single anyone out!

P.M. returned Element
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
  • ShineShine Posts: 801 Officer
    I think the kayakers who get worked up are a lot of the folks who are just new to the water, in general. I know there was a big rant on Kayak fishing dot com, RE motor vessels going by them at speed. The irony is, I would never take my skiff down the class IV rapids in the Chattooga river – I would not run my boat through the breaking surf at the beach – most people would not. But, Kayaks do it all the time. I’ll never forget being out at 9 mile in my little boat a few years back – I could see a big pink blob on the horizon coming my way from further off shore. A few minutes later, here comes the guy with a GPS on the front of his pink plastic Kayak! Then it struck me, he can’t run out of gas, get a dead battery or have a breakdown. If he gets swamped, his vessel can be righted and go on as usual. So, how vulnerable is who?
  • HEADIESHEADIES Posts: 51 Deckhand
    Shine wrote: »
    I think the kayakers who get worked up are a lot of the folks who are just new to the water, in general. I know there was a big rant on Kayak fishing dot com, RE motor vessels going by them at speed. The irony is, I would never take my skiff down the class IV rapids in the Chattooga river – I would not run my boat through the breaking surf at the beach – most people would not. But, Kayaks do it all the time. I’ll never forget being out at 9 mile in my little boat a few years back – I could see a big pink blob on the horizon coming my way from further off shore. A few minutes later, here comes the guy with a GPS on the front of his pink plastic Kayak! Then it struck me, he can’t run out of gas, get a dead battery or have a breakdown. If he gets swamped, his vessel can be righted and go on as usual. So, how vulnerable is who?

Not really.......A big wave can tip even an experienced kayaker into the water if its the wrong angle. As far as taking them offshore, thats a HUGE paddle and not for me but Im not gonna stop you if you want to try it. Access in the creeks is better for Kayaks but there are still limited places to launch from. So saying he should stay out of a big river is pretty ridiculous since he has to start somewhere.

As for goin in the water, if he tips he is probably going to lose a good portion of his gear and if the current is rippin probably his paddle and then there is the whole hypothermia thing.

Not tryin to breakdown your whole post but if you spend any amount of time in a Kayak you might come to these realizations.......As for a pink Kayak, that sounds pretty gay.
  • CptMikeCptMike Posts: 286 Officer
    NE Fishing Etiquette.........oxymoron!
    The "redneck way".........just so long as something winds up dead.
    CptMike wrote: »
    NE Fishing Etiquette.........oxymoron!

Capt Mike.....moron !!!

Touche'....beeyach :grin
  • fishmounterfishmounter JaxPosts: 479 Deckhand
    dlagator wrote: »
    Not to steal the thread but I was fishing the south jetty this weekend and had several boats run within 50 ft of me while I was anchored up close to the rockpile...people just don't realize that they put off more of a wake doing 8-10 knots than they do idling by...I understand it's the inlet, but if I'm running at the inlet I'm betweeen the bouys...if I'm lookin for a spot to anchor, I'll put out as little wake as possible.

Back to your question...if by "motoring" you mean running past you and not idling by, then that's just not very considerate...I always slow to an idle when passing someone in a creek.

I'm with you. I have fished the jetties for years anchored close to the rocks only to have some nimrod (being nice) Blow by and wake me to where I have to crank up the big motor just to stay off rocks.
    Kinda like it quiet when fishing. Last week had morons blow by me at 10 plus knots only 100 feet away. Why don't people get it?
    Expecting people to idle around at the Jetties, Mayport or St Augustine because you are fishing is just crazy! It's like fishing in a Ski Zone and getting pizzed when someone goes past you! Look where you are! I know a lot of us like to think those rocks are there just for us to fish but that's not what they were put there for........ Container ships, Aircraft Carriers, trawlers, and 50ft sportfishing boats go through there. If you are in that area fishing you better be paying attention to your surroundings and be prepared to deal with whatever wake is coming at you. If you or your boat cant handle it safely you should not be there!

The Mayport Jetty serves one of the biggest ports on the eastern seaboard, and the US Navy! Not to mention the fishing industry (both sport and recreational). And recreational pleasure boaters that don't give a crap about fishermen. Do not expect any of them to slow down for you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aitkenkingfishaitkenkingfish Posts: 150 Officer
    I hate passing boats on plane but I use horse shoe creek boat ramp & it has some down right impassable spots if your not on plane & quite often boats anchor in the middle of an 8 foot wide channel which forces med to run my boat over shallow sections i'm at full tilt. That being said i'm running a cat & at full throttle I put out a much wake &I do at u idle
  • brad safreedbrad safreed Posts: 562 Officer
    NaClH20 wrote: »

You just have to get over the flats fishing mentality. If you are working a creek that has more water past the point where you are, then you should expect that someone will want to access it. Think of it as a necessary evil.
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file