Venison Chili

I killed a very non-typical 3 pointlast Friday. So I vacuum sealed all the meat except for one ham. (I was holding this out because of the cold front coming through.) Great call. Dried 3 different types of chilies and ground them. Added that to oregano, cumin and salt in a 3:2:1:1 ratio for a home made chili powder.

Then made a variation of Alton Brown's Chili:

For chili:
3 Lbs. Stew meat (1 beef, 1 pork, 1 lamb) I substituted venison for the beef and lamb
3T Chili powder
1 t Ground cumin
1 Small Can chipotles in adobo
1 Can, tomato paste
1 16 oz. can, salsa
1 Bottle beer (Ale)
Tortilla chips, broken, ground in processor, or masa flour
1 t salt
2 t Peanut oil

Put meat in big bowl. Add salt. Add oil to meat. Brown in 3 batches to sear. Remove to another bowl.
Add beer, over high heat, to first pot. Deglaze.
Add 1 T tomato paste, 1 T chili powder, 1 t ground cumin, 3big handfuls (approx 30) of broken tortilla chips, 16 oz jar of salsa, 2 chipotles and 1 T Adobo sauce and add meat.

Pressure cook at 15 lbs, when steam starts coming out back off heat until barely whistling for 25 minutes. Or dutch oven, bring to boil, and put in 350 oven for 6 to 24 hours.

Garnish with sour cream, cheese, onions and/or cilantro.

Simply fantastic. Maybe my favorite cold weather recipe ever!

Replies

• AbelmanAbelman Posts: 1,848 Officer
    Looks excellent by the sound of things, do you FedEx?
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,003 AG
    Love to do venison chili.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • WaVeCrAzEdWaVeCrAzEd Posts: 561 Officer
    I remember going to a large keg party in the woods east central florida 20 years ago venison chili was on the menu. Wow was it good..I would makesome without hesitation.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file