Meeeeeeshigan!

CalusaCalusa Posts: 11,881 Officer
Though I predicted the Wolverines would beat Va Tech, does anyone besides me think the Hokie receiver got a bum call on the OT touchdown? Looked to me like he had a fair catch, barely. Surprised me that the officials overturned the call on the field after watching the replay.
FS Forum member since January 4, 2003
Member #12478
Not a Jew

Replies

• runnoftrunnoft Posts: 331 Officer
    I thought the same thing. VT played really well and it's amazing they lost that game considering how well the defense played and even the offense wasn't too shabby.
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Officer
    VT got robbed.....
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
  • Larry MacLarry Mac Posts: 5,440 Admiral
    Raggedy Ann:rotflmao
  • SeminolekenSeminoleken Posts: 3,489 Officer
    Looking at the stats you'd never think Michigan won.....

5ey26o.jpg
    2012-09-01_19-51-23_295copy.jpgr8yvdx-1-1.jpg
    How do they overturn this?
    How do they overturn this?
    That's a TD!
    You are right--especially since it was called a TD on the field, how can they overturn that? What a play!
  • BucYouUp68BucYouUp68 Posts: 1,184 Officer
    Ball Hit the Ground
    I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

BucYouUp68................OUT

5831474064_7809a5b1b4_o.jpg
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,563 Admiral
    Close but no cigar.

ACC goes down!
    He had possession with both hands--ground did not help him catch the ball. Plus it was called a TD on the field. Not irrefutable evidence to overthrow call on the field.
    Ball Hit The Ground, No Touchdown.
    I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

• Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,563 Admiral
    The ruliing I've heard in recent years is that a receiver needs to have a hand between the ball and the ground for it to be a catch...which would nullify the catch last night.

But, the announcer last night was saying that "the question is whether the ground aided the catch", which last night it didn't.

What is the official rule???
  • 2fastlx2fastlx Posts: 400 Officer
    Coale is a hell of a player and that was a hell of a catch. I was shocked to see it overturned but we have seen much worse calls this year. On the other hand, VT dominated the game and deserved to lose by just allowing it to go into OT. College overtime play is a joke and turns into a run, run, run, kick half the time, I hope they look into changing it.
  • CalusaCalusa Posts: 11,881 Officer
    The receiver's elbow hit the turf before the hands/ball/whatever hit the turf. Touchdown.
    Member #12478
    Not a Jew
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,653 Captain
    i was going for VT all the way, even though i am a UM fan. Lots of respect for Beamer and Beamer Ball.

I think the Coale catch was indeed a catch. The ground did not assist him nor did the ball move when it impacted the ground.

However, what was Beamer thinking when he called the fake punt? That cost him 3 points and the game.
    But if you only have love for your own race
    Then you only leave space to discriminate
    And to discriminate only generates hate
    And when you hate then you're bound to get irate
  • TightlinesPETightlinesPE Posts: 208 Officer
    That is NOT a catch. Great call by the crew upstairs because they got it dead on. The ball was basketed and continued to move (no possession) until both the player and ball hit the ground (while the ball was still barely moving) and the ground helped to secure the catch. Great call.
    No it was a catch. Or it should have been. A great catch Ground did not help him catch the ball.
    The entire basis for replay is irrefutable evidence to overrule a play on the field. It wasn't there.
    I'd like to take one more look at the replay to make sure, but for now I'm sticking with touchdown.
    Member #12478
    Not a Jew
    Ball Hit the Ground, No Touchdown.

• peariverpeariver Posts: 855 Officer
    Calusa wrote: »
    The receiver's elbow hit the turf before the hands/ball/whatever hit the turf. Touchdown.

I agree with you and the announcers. Catch.
  • mrblugilmrblugil Posts: 801 Officer
    Meeechigan needs a QT bad,shoelace is exciting but he can't thor fpr chit
    I see no way there was INDISPUTABLE evidence there to overturn the call on the field.

No way.
  • RedBaronRedBaron Posts: 6,781 Officer
    It was such a close call as to whether the ground helped him catch it or not......either way they call it is ok. I did not care about either team so no interest in who won..... I do think the ground did help him .....I was hoping they called it a TD for the kid's sake since he made the 110% effort and would have been a lifetime positive memory for him.
    Come to Forced Sex University where you can **** women for free!!!
  • JesseJamesJesseJames Posts: 2,408 Officer
    Listen to the call after the review. "the receiver did not maintain control of the ball." he was bobbling/juggling it as he went out of bounds. He never had possession. Great effort though...but not a catch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    copoutfishing.com
  • bullgatorbullgator Posts: 1,940 Officer
    Looked like the nose of ball hit the ground before the receiver had it stowed away. However it was so close I'm surprised they overturned a TD call on the field.
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,697 Captain
    BucYouUp68 wrote: »
    Ball Hit the Ground, No Touchdown.

It's just that simple. Don't even understand the debate????
    RedBaron wrote: »
    It was such a close call as to whether the ground helped him catch it or not......either way they call it is ok. I did not care about either team so no interest in who won..... I do think the ground did help him .....I was hoping they called it a TD for the kid's sake since he made the 110% effort and would have been a lifetime positive memory for him.

That's the thing.....I think it was a catch but had they called it incomplete on the field I would have had no problem with it or with them not overturning that call.

It was just so close that there's no way you can call it indisputable. Call on the field (whichever way called) should have definitely stood.
  • peariverpeariver Posts: 855 Officer
    It's just that simple. Don't even understand the debate????

Ball hits the ground on almost every other play. If the catch is made before it does so, it is a catch. The ball was secure and the elbow hit first. Heck of a catch IMO.
    Just watched it again, and kill me if I'm wrong: The ball secured, and the elbow hits the turf before the ball. That's a touchdown. Va Tech got scrood.
    Member #12478
    Not a Jew
    Amazingly I agree --- you are dead right Calusa so I won't have to kill you.
    Thanks Ann ..... :)
    Member #12478
    Not a Jew

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file