Indian Pass boat ramp

Is it free to launch there?

Are there restrictions on time of use. Like, can I launch at 8pm do a little bird watching and leave at 2am?

Replies

• capt roncapt ron Posts: 137 Deckhand
    Yep, you can do that, but it sure is hard to see them at night!
  • CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,273 Officer
    Depends what "birds" you are watching. ;)
  • bbbbbb Posts: 951 Officer
    capt ron wrote: »
    Yep, you can do that, but it sure is hard to see them at night!

Free launch?

With a 10 knot south wind, does it get very rough in the pass heading over to St Vincent. We'll be in a 18' aluminum boat with shallow sides and shallow draft.
  • Old DogOld Dog Posts: 500 Deckhand
    LANDINGINDIANPASS1200703RSTXT.jpg

FREE LAUNCH.

IN A SMALL BOAT, WITH AN OUTGOING/INCOMING TIDE, YOU'D BETTER MIND YOUR P & Q'S LAUNCHING, CROSSING, AND RECOVERING.
    OD
  • ferris1248ferris1248 North GeorgiaPosts: 13,569 Moderator
    I believe OD has pics of every ramp twixt West Bay and St Marks. ;)
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • Old DogOld Dog Posts: 500 Deckhand
    :) That's a fact Ferris!
    OD
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,457 Captain
    Old Dog wrote: »
    LANDINGINDIANPASS1200703RSTXT.jpg

FREE LAUNCH.

IN A SMALL BOAT, WITH AN OUTGOING/INCOMING TIDE, YOU'D BETTER MIND YOUR P & Q'S LAUNCHING, CROSSING, AND RECOVERING.
    OD
    OD speaks the truth...that ramp has a CURRENT when the wind is right.
  • GrouperGuruGrouperGuru Posts: 233 Deckhand
    I always heard that Indian Pass was a tough place to launch, but that ramp looks great. I'm assuming it must be the pass itself that's bad? I can see where it could get nasty in such a narrow pass with so much shallow area.
  • max kirklandmax kirkland Posts: 2,127 Officer
    just man-up is all it takes
  • senmecsenmec Posts: 36 Deckhand
    It's free and as of 2 years ago it was open 24/7, I doubt the hours have changed. I have made that crossing quite a few times in a 12' john boat with around 700 lbs. in it, but the current can be VERY strong if the tide is rising or falling. BTW, there are a LOT of sharks in the pass.
  • Circle-HookCircle-Hook Posts: 448 Deckhand
    How long would it take by land-towing boat to get there from SGI? There is a section hard bottom out at 100' I been wantin to try and that is closest ramp. thanks
  • IndianLagoonIndianLagoon Posts: 1,825 Officer
    How long would it take by land-towing boat to get there from SGI? There is a section hard bottom out at 100' I been wantin to try and that is closest ramp. thanks

30 minutes or so. Definitely worth the drive by land vs. the Gulf.
  • ranamanranaman Posts: 319 Officer
    That wall is hard, no place really to load peeps, Beach to the left is doable if current is ok, ramp is good, turn around a little akward for BIG boat but BBB you'll be fine current is only tricky thing really crossing should be ok in your boat.
  • fishawkfishawk Posts: 225 Officer
    Have not used this ramp in years. There were submerged boulders in shallow water on the right side of the ramp. I pulled up there on the sand to beach my 21'WA and found out about that when I heard these strange fibreglass cracking noises. Could not see the boulders because the water is very murky from the sediment in the bay.
    A jerk on one end of the line waiting on a jerk on the other end of the line.
    226271_1672192769477_1377123517_31362467_4792836_n.jpg
  • bbbbbb Posts: 951 Officer
    Ramp was fine, a little silted in one side. Only problem was visibility. Is the water up in the bay always chocolate milk?
  • C.UlrichC.Ulrich Posts: 82 Deckhand
    Over in that area yes.
    Lanark Market
  • wishfishinwishfishin Posts: 4,080 Officer
    Had to pull into that ramp once when this was chasing and got on top of us. Knew we'd never make it back to Mexico Beach. Owners of the store were super and drove us back to MB to get the truck.

Stormyday.jpg
    1268964408215_zps1ab1a85e.gif
  • BakermanBakerman Posts: 1,222 Officer
    As I recall the ramp might be lighted but the pass is DARK at night. Then too there can be surf in the channel.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman.
    Bakerman wrote: »
    As I recall the ramp might be lighted but the pass is DARK at night. Then too there can be surf in the channel.

its night..I think it is dark???

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file