Yuri trip Dry Tortugas 12/15-12/18

Had a great trip with Capt Yuri to the Dry Tortugas last weekend. We limited out on grouper with 36 and we caught 59 muttons with most for 10 to 15 lbs. The largest mutton was 19lb and caught by big danny. The largest grouper was caught by me and it was a 44lb black. We also caught some nice mangroves, yellowtails, and yelloweye snapper. We caught some aj's and one schoolie mahi. It was agreat trip and Capt Yuri has a great boat. Thanks.

Replies

• Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,794 Officer
    Wow, wish I could have made it. Next time...
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Posts: 2,608 Officer
    Stellar Catching trip! :beer

Rob
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
  • swinsond1971swinsond1971 Posts: 183 Officer
    Great pic, Andre. I was happy to see you catch that monster. I had a great time out there man. Definitely one to remember. Looking forward to May.
  • superfishsuperfish Posts: 112 Officer
    Is this the same Andre from the yankee capts years ago?anyways you tore them up(congrats)on a great trip.Andre if that's you from the capt's PM me(If that's you,you've been practicing-are you ready yet Rob
  • drdredrdre Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    superfish wrote: »
    Is this the same Andre from the yankee capts years ago?anyways you tore them up(congrats)on a great trip.Andre if that's you from the capt's PM me(If that's you,you've been practicing-are you ready yet Rob

No I have never been on the Yankee Capts, but thanks.
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,743 Captain
    Very nicely done.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • IshIsh Posts: 797 Officer
    Very nice !!!
  • reeladventuresreeladventures Posts: 304 Officer
    Awesome grouper! Sounds like a great trip!
    2015 Hewes Redfisher18
  • globalwavetrackerglobalwavetracker Posts: 226 Deckhand
    Exceptional, and stellar catch, when does the next trip comes around? Did the groupers hit mostly live bait?
    We had 7 Blacks on the trip and none were taken on live bait. I caught a couple on squid/bally combo and one on a gog head. Dre caught that huge Black on one little squid. I had a bunch of fresh gogs and ballys. The muttons were all over the fresh bait. The big Red Groupers ate live grunts and yellowtails and the stinky old bait and squid. They weren't into the fresh gogs as much.
  • Deep DropDeep Drop Posts: 46 Deckhand
    Nice catch gentlemen....have a 4 day coming up and can hardly wait.

What depth were you getting the blacks / red grouper in? Did you try using kingfish for bait? Did anyone try any high speed jigging for the grouper / pinkies?

We are going down with around 12 dozen fresh gogs, 10 dozen fresh ballys, live pinnies, live crabs, and a livewell full of pilchards and threadfin.....5 guys over 4 days....do you think this would be enough? How much bait did you guys bring if you don't mind me asking?

Appreciate the feedback....will post up when we return. One of the crew just picked up the new GoPro underwater camera, so we plan on trying a few tricks like dropping it down 100 feet with the video on....and maybe trolling behind our wahoo lures at 12 knots....heard the wahoo and large mahi are tearing it up off Key West this winter, and there should be some blackfin around.

We are also going to put up the kite....should be interesting with all of the kings around. With our trip spanning over NYE, I am hoping to be the first U.S. citizen to kill a mutton snapper in 2012 ;)

Tight Lines,

Gilbert
  • chum4themchum4them Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    MERRY CHRISTMAS
  • King_MeKing_Me Posts: 5,129 Admiral
    Deep Drop wrote: »
    Did you try using kingfish for bait? Did anyone try any high speed jigging for the grouper / pinkies?

We are going down with around 12 dozen fresh gogs, 10 dozen fresh ballys, live pinnies, live crabs, and a livewell full of pilchards and threadfin.....5 guys over 4 days....do you think this would be enough? How much bait did you guys bring if you don't mind me asking?

Frank

I normally go on Yuri's boat a couple of times during the year. Next trip is scheduled in May. The bait and quantities that you listed is about what we take. We always manage to catch a couple dozen gogs while were out there when the moon is right. Bring some sabikis and give it a try at night.

Fresh king is great bait! Keep those bonita too if you catch any.

We never had luck with catching grouper or snappers on jigging. Just BIG AJ's and bonitas
    Cool pic, Chum. Almost all the groupers were caught in 70 to 100ft. The Reds were very thick on the reef. The two biggest Blacks we had we caught on deep ledges 240 and 260ft. The ARS and AJs were thick there too, so we decided to move away from them. We brought speed jigs, but we didn't use them much since the bite was so good on bait. We didn't get one king the whole trip. No one fished for them though. I only fish for them if I need them for bait. We did catch a lot of cero macks though that were used for bait. We caught a lot of grunts and runners which the Reds were loving. We limited out on groupers and snappers. Mutton bite was off the chain on Friday night. Looks to me like you should have enough bait.
  • Deep DropDeep Drop Posts: 46 Deckhand
    Thanks for the quick replies gentlemen....this will be a first for me in terms of not being with the girl on terra firma wearing some silly hat that says Happy NYE on it, and blowing into some stupid toy :shrug.....this year the hat will read "ALL FISH MUST DIE"...lol, and the toy will be replaced with a fine Cohiba.....

Look forward to reporting back....we should get the moderator to start a forum section that is strictly Dry Tortugas based....in order to join, one must have killed a BG > 30#s, a Mutton > 20#s, and...well you get the picture.

Will post up on the first of Jan.

Tight Lines and Happy New Year to All...toot toot

Gilbert
    Good luck
  • adedpoetadedpoet Posts: 167 Officer
    Sounds like you had a great trip. Going with Yuri 12/28-12/31...hope we do as well. I think there may still be a spot open if anyone is interested.
    I think you guys will do well. The water temp dropping seems to have the groupers fired up. I wish I could jump on an extra spot, but my wife would have my head on a plate.
  • duke6543duke6543 Posts: 334 Deckhand
    Thanks for the report drdre, that is a nice grouper. You all did very well.
  • PhishingPhanaticPhishingPhanatic Posts: 449 Officer
    Great report and stud grouper. Thanks.
  • cudamancudaman Posts: 402 Officer
    That's a nice groupa!

Awesome Santa Grupa Pic, LOL
    www.cudamanadventures.com
    I only keep what I eat or will use for bait.
    I release all sharks.
  • capciofficapcioffi Posts: 798 Officer
    Stud grouper, can we please see some more pictures? I love seeing Yuri pictures.:beer
  • snappersnatchersnappersnatcher Posts: 134 Officer
    Nice fish bud !!!!
  • yurifishmanyurifishman Posts: 54 Deckhand
    Thanks for taking the time to write up a report Andre. That same incredible bottom fishing action continued into this week too. We limited out on both snapper and grouper again! This time the average size of the muttons was smaller, but still plenty of hungry fish. We covered some ground, and the bite was good at almost every drop. The groupers were mostly big reds with a few blacks and scamps mixed in. The guys had cough plenty on fresh goggleyes and ballyhoo they had, but cut up kings worked just as well. The Gulf stream must beclose as the currents were easterly on the edge and slightly offshore. The deepest we fished was 160'.
  • crcattypccrcattypc Posts: 632 Officer
    Awesome!! Love Capt Yuri Reports almost as much as the trips themselves... We did a trip with him a year ago and we had to cancel our last summer trip due to a knee injury for my one friend and I got married... We will be back with you Yuri!!!
    :fishing:grin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file