Tips and Pointers Please share your winning tactics.

2»

Replies

• csanderscsanders Posts: 471 Officer
    troutman57 wrote: »
    I keep the bits and pieces of the gulps that have been obliterated by puffers and porgies in a separate container. I will use the pieces for grunts, pinfish and other bait fish on sabiki rigs or just a small hook..

Brilliant Kyle... I never considered that. I throw out 20 gulps a day when I'm fishing because they lost the tails. Then I cut up a fresh one for the sabiki when I'm going out deep. Simple but serious tip. :)
  • Landlocked_Landlocked_ Posts: 590 Officer
    Life has gotten in the way yet again and we're not going to get to go fishing tomorrow as planned. I did however, before life changed plans, reverse the braid on 8 of our rigs. I was actually confident that all that was needed to preform said task was an empty reel, then as I thought about it at the time to do so, that would only work if said reel/rig was ready to go fishing. The reels I had intended for such task were "wally rigs" that I have very little desire to "fish" with. Two piece $20 combos that I bought when I decided I wanted to get back into fishing after being out of the game for 10 years due to a broken hip.Spooled with mono. Then I went fishing with Mike (Redbonz) and Kyle (Troutman) ....and let me tell you how grossly embarrassed I was to "bring my own gear"..... It was funny, just ask them.....Either way, I came up with in my own opinion a pretty cool system for reversing braid. I used my drill with a phillips scewdriver with a suitable sized handle to fit inside a 6" piece of schedule 80 conduit,two pieces actually, one to strip, one to reverse. schedule 40 water pipe will work just as well, and may give you more options with whatever adaptions (screwdrivers) you may have available. This worked very well for me, hope this helps someone out there, and if I'm an idiot and theres a simpler way, please share with me and the rest of the bretheren.....Pics to follow57E3F769-FDFC-41D7-B32C-5CDF7D1DD335-353-000001DB54086E87.jpgFBEF0F07-B2BE-4C79-B0A1-5809E4306C73-353-000001DB5D2BDAA3.jpgC5F42BD3-3070-4337-A048-F642299FD664-353-000001DB63E05C18.jpg
  • WindsplitterWindsplitter Posts: 606 Officer
    Some thoughts on three of my favorite hard lures: First the gold rapala, I know, it's great for large mouth bass right? well I have caught trout, reds and snook on them. they are very light so I only use them when its not too windy. and the hooks are a little weak for big reds and snook, but you can upgrade them a bit without hurting the action.
    The skitter walk: You can cast it a long way. I tell newbies to "walking the dog" to cast out then tug half the slack out of the line at a time. Topwater is the BEST! (Big trout, Reds, and snook)
    Catch 2000: this is a lipless suspending lure. If you need to get under the waves, or catch some lady fish for cut bait. A quick stop and go action works best for me. (I have caught a lot of trout on these)
  • MathGeekMathGeek Posts: 345 Deckhand
    I'm not a great angler, but since my children aren't the most patient, I've learned a few things to get them on the fish reliably, including a fair share of bigger fish. Here are my tips:

1. Always bring a variety of baits. Live shrimp and cracked crab our our standards, but we'll take mullet or even pogies. If you're only offering one choice, you're in a tight spot if they're not biting on that. We've never done well on artificials in salt water.

2. Sharp hooks, good knots, inspected gear. It it bites, we want to land it.

3. Moving water. I plan our trips around the tide tables with additional consideration about how the wind tends to move the water around also. At times when there isn't much water movement, we'll target a channel or jetties where there is still some movement. At times when the flow in channels and drains is too strong, we'll target reefs and flats.

4. Sonar. You've got to be where there are fish. Fish combined with structure is a winning combination.

5. When we first hit a spot, everyone throws out a line on the bottom and a bait under a bobber. We put out a variety of baits at a variety of depths and then anglers start switching over more heavily to whatever is working. As soon as something slows, we switch things up a bit to try and find a combination that is working.

6. We're not species snobs that will run around and burn gallons of gas hunting trout or redfish. We're thankful for sheepshead, drum, gafftops and whatever mixed bag the day is handing us.

7. Other than catfish, any fish under 12" that is legal to use for bait goes on a hook and back in the water as bait. We keep a variety of hooks handy and a rod pre-rigged for this. At most of our locations, this trick will work and put a big fish in the boat over 50% of the time. This is the technique my children refer to as "Dad's special trick." l
    “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PowerhousePowerhouse Posts: 321 Deckhand
    Wow, this is a great thread.
    Joe

2002 Hurricane 196 Fundeck-2002 Yamaha 115

efb1e8b8-d16e-4a72-be83-5f5dcba5d540_zpsam1yfgmv.jpg
  • ~~Mutt~~~~Mutt~~ Posts: 478 Deckhand
    My tip is well known..but for those who don't..here ya go..

Old tired castnet.. Feeling stiff...

Just put that sucker in a bucket..Add 2 caps of Downy Ultra Fabric Softener..fill to the top with water.....Close it up... or don't close it..I close mine..... Let sit for a day or 2... Rinse well...

Hang up to dry.. Net will be renewed

On my gold spoons... I attach a Eagle Claw size 4 split ring and then a small silver swivel. Sorry..can't remember the size swivel off hand cause haven't bought any in some time ..Have several big boxes of them.. Same ones we use on a lightweight kingfish rig
  • chicochico Posts: 496 Deckhand
    Before you toss out that old gas BBQ grill with the side burner consider just converting it. Remove just the BBQ grilll box from the frame, top and bottom halves, then just set a suitable piece of starboard, plywood, corian, etc across the opening for a cutting board, You now have an outside food prep station with a propane burner on the one side and the old bbq side board on the other side of your cutting board, I found no need to even fasten the cutting board, just sits there and is easy to remove and wash. the whole thing is on the original wheels. No need to ever dirty up the kitchen when frying up your fish!!
  • redracerredracer Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    treble hooks ? do you guys do anything to make removing treble hooks easier when fishing with lures. seems like hooks do a lot of damage on smaller fish and since I mainly catch and release don"t mind losing a fish once in a while. has anyone replaced treble hooks with single hooks?
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Officer
    redracer wrote: »
    treble hooks ? do you guys do anything to make removing treble hooks easier when fishing with lures. seems like hooks do a lot of damage on smaller fish and since I mainly catch and release don"t mind losing a fish once in a while. has anyone replaced treble hooks with single hooks?

That gets done a lot with good success. Any spoon with a free swinging hooks gets replaced with a single J hook and in this case it seems to work better. Some folks repalce trebles with circle hooks and do well.experimentation seems to be key here.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • M4RealM4Real Posts: 121 Deckhand
    Thanks for the tips everyone. I need all the help I can get.:)
  • drewpyd85drewpyd85 Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    just read this whole thread...awesome info thanks guys.
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,061 Officer
    I like to use these
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,395 AG
    Well here is one for navigating shallow tidal creeks. The deeper water is "usually" in the wider bends of the creek where the current has "dredged" out deeper water naturally. It's a good rule of thumb but not 100%. I'm sure the old salts know this is creek fishing 101, but I learned it the hard way. :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,346 Officer
    Some people have forgotten more about fishing than I ever learned. This is a great thread and worth a reread.
    May and June the tarpon show up so don't be surprised if you lose a topwater. Besides its worth it.
  • MikeRMikeR Posts: 39 Greenhorn
    Here are my tips for grouper fishing:
    1) Know how to read you bottom machine to identify hard bottom
    2) Get a good marker buoy - I use the bandit buoy. http://www.americanbandit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5
    3) Set your GPS up so it will count down the distance to you spot. Look at you bottom machine as you are zeroing out the distance and drop you buoy when you mark the spot on your bottom machine. If you drop a few feet off of you spot and then miss your anchor a few more feet - that can be the difference. The buoy has a mark which will help with your initial anchor heading.
    4) Learn how to anchor your boat well (how far to go by the mark, when to back up, how to get your anchor to hold) I have 6' of chain on my anchor which is a pain to man handle all the time but it really helps set the anchor.
    5) Get an anchor retrieval ball to make your life easier (or take young strong kids with you to pull the anchor). This is the greatest invention for bottom fisherman ever made!
    6) Make a note of your heading on your compass once you are anchored... it will make your next attempt much more accurate!
    7)Always start fishing with "stinky bait" sardines, herring, etc. - don't waste live bait until the bite gets turned on
    8)Once you start catching grunts - save some for bait
    9)Once you start catching some shorts it is time for big bait - pin fish and big slab of grunts
    10) If you are not catching fish - grunts, shorts, etc. after 20 - 30 minutes it is time to move.
    11) On nice days where you can drift slowly that can be a good tactic but always drop a buoy to mark your spot and have a reference point
    12) My favorite set up is a 20-50lb Ugly stick with a 4/0 reel. Penn senators are a good choice but I find Shimano to be a better reel. 30lb main line (mono) with a 3-4 oz sinker and about a 2' fluorocarbon leader. Don't have a favorite hook...

Hope it helps.
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file