ETEC 150 vs. Yamaha 200?

DBRYANDBRYAN Posts: 4,359 Captain
http://www.boattest.com/engine-review/Evinrude/40500162_E-TEC-G2-150-H-O--vs--Yamaha-F200-4-Stroke_2018

I watched this video and I have to say I was impressed. The ETEC 150 actually outperformed the Yamaha 200. I had been considering going with Yamaha on a repower but now I'm not so sure. I guess the second question is reliabiity. Yamaha has a reputation for being reliable but when they break they are massively expensive for the parts.

What do y'all think? I need to decide soon.

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,168 Admiral
    Someone on here just repowered with an Etec 150 and got a 10 year warranty as well as free installation.   Seems like a tough deal to pass up. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • DBRYANDBRYAN Posts: 4,359 Captain
    I wonder what place that was at? Sounds like a good deal.
    edited July 11 #4
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • RiverRat22RiverRat22 Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    Those Etecs have some serious torque!  Yamaha also makes a V6 200 that would probably perform a whole lot better in their test.
    Have you shopped around for a new Yamaha yet?  I head they are pretty low in stock and can be hard to find.
    Strangely enough someone puts ads for them that show up on my FB thread.

Thanks
    So this is the boat I'm looking to power. Seems to be very solid from what I've seen looking in it. It came with a color Garmin GPS/fishfinder. I only spent $1,200 for it and all the pieces alone would sell for twice that. I also liked the hull design.

There should be a plate on it somewhere with max horsepower.   IDK the year but if it's older than say 2000 most of the motors were still 2 strokes and much lighter.  Look online for your boat model and see if you can find people on THT who have repowered it and with what motors.   

Have the transom and stringers checked.  No sense throwing a brand new motor on it to have the transom collapse 10 minutes in to your first ride.   Looks good from that picture but be absolutely certain what it can take going in. 
    I will. It has a transom bracket on it, but it's obviously the wrong one because it actually makes the motor mount 5" lower instead of 5" higher. I'm sure he wrecked the motor because of this. It must have put the power head under the water line on take off. I'm going to pull it this weekend and check for transom damage. I can't make it wiggle but I don't have enough leverage on it either to be sure. I've ordered one of those telescoping cameras you can use on your phone to get a good look inside.
    Sounds like a good place to start.   It may be the right transom bracket but if the transom is bad, it could conceivably bow down 5 inches but  I imagine you would notice something like that  Is it a closed transom with a bracket?   
    I'd have to look again but I think the transom was closed. He admitted to adding the transom bracket when he put two platforms on each side of it. If the transom is weak but the stringers are OK I might invest the $2K it would cost to have it redone. If the stringers are bad I'll just strip the parts and dump it.

I thinks it's a 97. I was thinking ETEC so...
    edited July 12 #14
    Yea sorry i had a mental lapse!   Actually now some of the newer 4 stokes are comparable in weight.    But that Etec is a demon.  Let me know what you do with it.  It looks like a solid boat.   And a pretty easy project if the transom/stringers are good.  Like you said if not, it might be worth it to fix it and hang a motor on regardless.   You'll never have as much in it as a new boat of comparable size would be.   
    True
  • BwarrenBwarren Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Love my etec it pulls our 24 footer out of the hole like my bass boat. I have the 250 and I usually run around 40 miles a trip and maybe burn 20 gallons depending on load and current. It’s super quiet and smooth running no smoke either. I also don’t have to do any maintenance until 300 hours. 
  • shamrock1188shamrock1188 Posts: 230 Deckhand
    If the FL numbers or correct the hull is in the 1980's. The last two letters or FW. What year does your title say? If it is not in the 80's something is not right.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file