Yamaha trim and tilt question

sigiiligansigiiligan Posts: 87 Greenhorn
Recently bought a boat with a mid 90's Yamaha 70 HP 2 stroke on the back. The trim and tilt motor runs, but doesn't engage to go up and and down unless I give it a little help by slightly lifting up on the engine. Acts like a hydraulic motor does when it's low on fluid. My question is is the trim and tilt something that fluid can be added to, or is it a self contained unit? I'd hate to have to pull an engine that's running well just to change the trim and tilt if I don't have to. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• StankBaitStankBait Posts: 325 Deckhand
    Check the fluid. It can be added but if it is low it probably leaked out.
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,642 Captain
    Fluid can be added to the unit, but the question comes to mind is where did it leak out.  The permanent fix is to determine what seal is leaking and replace it
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 1,479 Officer
    My late 90s suzuki 75hp had a similar problem.  I would add fluid to it every month or so.  I finally had a guy replace both of the piston seals.  I ordered the parts online, rather cheaply.  

There is also likely a zerk fitting towards the front of the motor, where the steering cable goes thru the motor.  (its actually the tilt tube)   You can try putting a little grease in there.  But, you can test that theory out by loosening the vent screw on the hyd reservoir, and manually trying to tilt the motor by hand to see how difficult it is.   
  • StankBaitStankBait Posts: 325 Deckhand
    You will find that Yamaha parts are not inexpensive (cheap).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file