Offshore Report St Petersburg ! Middle Grounds Overnight!

cramer8164cramer8164 Posts: 4 Greenhorn
Middlegrounds Bound! The guys and I celebrated our freedom this 4th of July by running to the Middlegrounds!
Departed the doc a little late, baited up and took off. We had a bit of a late arrival seeing as how work kept us all strapped late.
Showed up around midnight to the SW area of the grounds and found a drift. 
The action was immediate and steady untill about 3:30 am (that's when we diecided to try and sleep) on BIG Mango's (mangrove snapper). Tackle used was 40-50 flourocarbon leader and 4-5/0 hooks either on a knocker rig or hi-lo (chicken-rig). They were not picky to eat so anything dropped down was sufficient. My favorite bait of choice was squid, however pinfish, white bait and sardines worked as well.
Woke up to a pop up storm around 5:30 am and had to maneuver around it until sunrise, we saw a continued bite of mangos but the red snapper bite turned on as well, we were just shy of our limit by 2 fish. The ARS were smashing the whitebait and not much else. Same tackle set up for the ARS as the Mangrove snapper.  Remember to be prepared for anything out there and have a flat line out at all times , you never know what might hit it!

Replies

• WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 359 Deckhand
    Fabulous report 
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,078 Captain
    Nice fish, but you definitely have some bad hotspots on them. Need more ice. Thanks for the report 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • cramer8164cramer8164 Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    I agree saltygatorvet, we undershot the ice big time. Next time we will be more prepared, I always tell my guys " if we are not over engineering we are under engineering" when out on the water.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,078 Captain
    Outstanding trip, looks really nice out there.. Congrats 
    You should have been here yesterday

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file