Any suggestions for 2 piece or travel type inshore spinning rods

mklingmkling Posts: 45 Greenhorn
can anyone suggest decent inshore spinning 2 piece rods or travel rods that are reasonably priced? 10-17 or 12-20 line class snook fishing mostly throwing plugs and some live baiting.<br>i have all one piece rods that I normally travel with in a 91” long tube on Southwest Airlines. SunCountry started up here and I want to start using them for cheap flights but it looks like I need to downsize my rod tube to do it.<br><br>
Thinking of trying a Bass pro inshore extreme 2 piece. Maybe st croix travel rod but kinda pricey for me. 
Need 4 rods as my son and I each like to have 2.
just looking for suggestions or first hand experience to help me choose. Thanks

Replies

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 1,393 Officer
    St Croix travel rods are really good.  I have two of them, a medium and a medium heavy.  I have caught tons of fish with no issues.  They are pricey but work great on airplanes.  I carry them onto the plane, I don't even check them.  
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 341 Deckhand
    Your tube is 91" long. That's 7 and A half feet.

https://www.lamiglas.com/collections/gsb-series

This rod is A CTS S8 8-12 OUNCE. It's 13 1/2 feet long.

A 2 piece rod, 50-50 split. That's 6'9" when broken down. It fits in your tube with out A problem.
    You can travel anywhere around the world with it.

If I start seeing more questions like this you're going to get reported to the moderator.
    We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
  • mklingmkling Posts: 45 Greenhorn
    I don’t think you read all of my post... I normally travel with a 91” tube but can no longer do so on suncountry airline. I’m at 6’ max length tube with this new airline from what they are telling me.
  • VikingViking Posts: 100 Greenhorn
    I have used the LL Bean travel rods for many years.  They are 7 ft long and come in 4 pieces.  I've used both the med and light action rods.  For your application I would recommend the rod that is rated at 8-17 lb line.  https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/77033?feat=sr&term=travel+series+rod&csp=a
    edited July 4 #6

It got there before I did. When I checked in. They had it for me at the front desk.

It's A key fit only reel seat.

• mklingmkling Posts: 45 Greenhorn
    Viking said:
    I have used the LL Bean travel rods for many years.  They are 7 ft long and come in 4 pieces.  I've used both the med and light action rods.  For your application I would recommend the rod that is rated at 8-17 lb line.  https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/77033?feat=sr&term=travel+series+rod&csp=a
    Nice. I haven’t seen the LL Bean rods before. Looks pretty decent for $99.
    thanks for the suggestion.
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 348 Deckhand
    St croix makes a couple of models in 2 piece.   The triumph is nice and costs about $90

I'm going to visit my girlfriend.

How did you make the decision for it to be dual purpose?
    You’re casting south and the wind is gusting east.
    You kinked the gatherer at a 45 degree angle, the same
    direction the wind was blowing. What did you benefit from that?

Bite detection
    Fish fighting ability
    Sensitivity
    Casting ability

• scallopscallop Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    St Croix Tidemaster travel rod is the answer to the question you ask.
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 961 Officer
    edited July 6 #11
    Who let this hammer guy on here?  Totally missed the question.

Ugly Stik GX2 rods are nice - you can get a 2 piece 6-7 ft rods in you weight classes for $40.  You can also get a 3 piece travel rod for $40.  That way you can get the 4 rods without breaking the bank.  They really are great rods for the money.

You wouldn't catch me dead with an ugly stick!
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,078 Captain
    edited July 6 #13
    I got a 3 piece tfo travel spinning rod for $100 at my local tackle shop ( retails for $170) med power fast action. I was very impressed with the the action and casting. I normally fish with loomis pro greens. I would definitely buy another.  
    You should have been here yesterday
  • BTVengeanceBTVengeance SCPosts: 23 Greenhorn
    I prefer 3 piece rods for travel, just easier to deal with regardless of travel mode.  For my local inshore fishing every rod in the boat is a St Croix.

If I was a frequent fishing traveler I would go with the St Croix Travel Tidemasters but I am an infrequent fishing traveler.  I bought 2 of these for bonefish and small tarpon (under 10 pounds) trips and they have performed quite well.  They can be bought online around the $125 range.

Okuma Nomad Inshore Saltwater Multi Action Travel

• AnyhooAnyhoo Posts: 134 Deckhand
    I have an Okuma Nomad inshore rod as well.  Has been great.  3 piece rod-stores really well in the case you get with it.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,150 Moderator
    Okuma Nomads are good rods.  I also suggest you look at the Fenwick Methods Travel rod.  It's 1 butt, 2 mid sections and two tips, that you can mix and match, giving you 4 different actions.

• BTVengeanceBTVengeance SCPosts: 23 Greenhorn
    I prefer 3 piece rods for travel, just easier to deal with regardless of travel mode.  For my local inshore fishing every rod in the boat is a St Croix.

If I was a frequent fishing traveler I would go with the St Croix Travel Tidemasters but I am an infrequent fishing traveler.  I bought 2 of these for bonefish and small tarpon (under 10 pounds) trips and they have performed quite well.  They can be bought online around the $125 range.

Okuma Nomad Inshore Saltwater Multi Action Travel

Sorry about the obnoxious giant font, did not look that big before it was actually posted.
    edited July 8 #18
    EAST COAST!

• Kill_It_N_Grill_ItKill_It_N_Grill_It fort lauderdalePosts: 31 Greenhorn
    the 7 ft 2 piece by i13 fishing are really nice, not to soft tip and flimsy and do not break the bank at being able to purchase it as a come with a reel for 69.99.  they have a split grip butt to it and rubber grip to allow you to have a good hold and durability. also the st. Croix travel rods are pretty hard to beat.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file