Dog Problem

Replies

• 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 814 Officer
    Sorry you are having to deal with this, sounds like you got a lot going on and are trying to do the best thing.
    Best wishes for you and the pup.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 6,939 Admiral
    4WARD said:
    Sorry you are having to deal with this, sounds like you got a lot going on and are trying to do the best thing.
    Best wishes for you and the pup.
    Agreed. 
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 3,746 Captain
    There is nothing wrong with a dog living outside in a large shaded area . Give Fish a break. My dogs were crated and let out in the fenced yard when home. Never allowed in the house. Slobber, shedding, chewing, barking, hard on the furniture. No thank you. Now a toy breed ok. 

My dads generation living in TN. Never had a dog in the house.pet or hunting dog.

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,188 Admiral
    My Hunting Camp Neighbor has 15 or 20 dogs...one in the house.
    The rest are Hunting dogs . They get their Shots from him and either live in a long Kennel or chained up in the 5 acres.
    Their Not Pets..Working Dogs. They live hard , Hunt Hard ,and you don't pet them..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 6,240 Admiral
    My comment about passing the problem dog onto someone else may have been in haste.  Like you said it is only during certain conditions.  Too bad you can't hire a dog trainer/behaviorist or keep him separate.  

I bet you having a broken leg only makes it worse because she probably is being protective at times like when you come home.e and they greet you.

We have 2 dogs that get along great, but when I leave the one goes app **** and the other tries ccorrecting him, but she is a lot more aggressive than she needs to be.  There are things I should work on with them too, but I haven't.  I am in no position to cast stones.

Captain Todd Approves

• ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 1,751 Captain
    "Proper care".....a subjective term

I've seen hundreds of dogs that were kept alive for 9 months just so they would hunt the next three. Kept in 4x5 cages or pens, sitting for days next to or on top of their own waste. They get the cheapest Chinese dog food and never get a bath...ever.
    Come toughening season in September, they are let out to do what they were bred to do. If they didn't hunt they were quickly dispatched.
     Skinny, stinky, nasty, infested dogs, left to run or get shot. I've seen them sit in a dog box for days with no food, I've seen them starve to death because their owners (name and phone number on the collar) would not come and get them.
    Used to bother me...doesn't any more. I think things like that get worked out and I don't have to worry about it. I take real good care of my dogs (by anybody's standards) and that's what makes me happy.
    I feel a dogs ability, health, attitude and demeanor are a reflection on and of myself.
    When I lose a dog, it really hurts.... always has.
    Not everyone is like that. Some may keep a dog alive because if they didn't the dog would die... and alive is better then dead....right? Is it?
    1.2 million dogs are euthanized every year in this country...give or take a few hundred thousand.
    Think about it..

Good, well intended message.
    However.
    You don't describe the hound hunters that I've known for most of my life.
    Most, if not all, serious owners of hounds take excellent care of the dogs and belong to hound clubs that exercise their dogs regularly.
    These Beagle clubs lease or own fenced property and only run their dogs for fun.
    The hound and the owner.
    If the hounds' performance is not up to the owners standard, they're given away to folks who want a pet.
    Now.  I know that your post is directed to me.
    I've owned many hounds.
    All received Vet care and were kept in hutches filled with cedar chips.  No vermin.
    They were all attached to 50 foot cables.
    Their feces, always at the end of their run, were picked up daily.
    So, there are dog owners who really care for their dogs.
    Jim 

My comment about passing the problem dog onto someone else may have been in haste.  Like you said it is only during certain conditions.  Too bad you can't hire a dog trainer/behaviorist or keep him separate.  

I bet you having a broken leg only makes it worse because she probably is being protective at times like when you come home.e and they greet you.

We have 2 dogs that get along great, but when I leave the one goes app **** and the other tries ccorrecting him, but she is a lot more aggressive than she needs to be.  

Captain Todd Approves

• Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 7,924 Admiral
    edited July 5 #40
    AC Man said:
    Why don't you pet them? 

23895.gif
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 718 Officer
    I had a American bull show up here at the house. He was scared of everything. After about a month he settled in and became overprotective of everything. He never was aggressive with me as he took to me, I would talk to him and feed him, made a bed for him. Tried to find him a real home but he was too aggressive. He would not let anyone come around. He would even growl at my wife when she came into the shop. 
     The day he chased the fedex guy back into the truck was the end. I caught the dog by his hind legs going into the truck after the guy, dragged him out and slammed door. Realized dog ran around back side of truck so I went front side and beat him to door.
     Called the pound and had them come and get him. My property is not fenced and there were small kids on both sides of me. I am sure he could have been neutered and with training things could have been worked out. I don't have the patience or the money to do this. I feel for the dog, but that is as far as it goes. I have never regretted my decision.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 3,651 Captain
    Scoutboat said:
    "Proper care".....a subjective term

I've seen hundreds of dogs that were kept alive for 9 months just so they would hunt the next three. Kept in 4x5 cages or pens, sitting for days next to or on top of their own waste. They get the cheapest Chinese dog food and never get a bath...ever.
    Come toughening season in September, they are let out to do what they were bred to do. If they didn't hunt they were quickly dispatched.
     Skinny, stinky, nasty, infested dogs, left to run or get shot. I've seen them sit in a dog box for days with no food, I've seen them starve to death because their owners (name and phone number on the collar) would not come and get them.
    Used to bother me...doesn't any more. I think things like that get worked out and I don't have to worry about it. I take real good care of my dogs (by anybody's standards) and that's what makes me happy.
    I feel a dogs ability, health, attitude and demeanor are a reflection on and of myself.
    When I lose a dog, it really hurts.... always has.
    Not everyone is like that. Some may keep a dog alive because if they didn't the dog would die... and alive is better then dead....right? Is it?
    1.2 million dogs are euthanized every year in this country...give or take a few hundred thousand.
    Think about it..

Good, well intended message.
    However.
    You don't describe the hound hunters that I've known for most of my life.
    Most, if not all, serious owners of hounds take excellent care of the dogs and belong to hound clubs that exercise their dogs regularly.
    These Beagle clubs lease or own fenced property and only run their dogs for fun.
    The hound and the owner.
    If the hounds' performance is not up to the owners standard, they're given away to folks who want a pet.
    Now.  I know that your post is directed to me.
    I've owned many hounds.
    All received Vet care and were kept in hutches filled with cedar chips.  No vermin.
    They were all attached to 50 foot cables.
    Their feces, always at the end of their run, were picked up daily.
    So, there are dog owners who really care for their dogs.
    Jim 

My post was not directed towards you. My post has been my experience. 
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway. nj
    edited July 8 #43
    Well, after a brief intermission, the young one viciously attacked the middle dog again.  Young one actually got the worst of it.  This had nothing to do with food, and I wasn't really near the, when it started - just out of the blue.  It seemed to me that the young one got mad because the middle one did not feel like playing.

Anyhow, I found a sympathetic vet, and the problem is now solved.  In just a couple days, I have noticed a difference in behavior of the remaining two dogs.  They act like they used to.  More relaxed and happy.  I never noticed the slow build-up of tension and behavior changes over the last couple months - until it stopped.  I feel good about this decision.

Thanks for all the comments and advice.
    23895.gif
    That's too bad, but you really didn't have much of a choice.

Captain Todd Approves

• mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 3,651 Captain
    How did the Doctor help you?
    It's sounds like the dog was euthanized but, it's not clear.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway. nj
  • JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 8,284 Admiral
    Dog was euthanized.... Pretty clear.
    How come the Dog Whisperer can get 20 crazed pitbulls trained to get along in a pack  and my son and his girlfriend can't get their two dogs to get along if it killed them. 

Another person has a 10 year old dog that has started biting family and friends. Vet said not much you can do about it and last I heard they were getting rid of him for good!
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 23,817 AG
    edited July 9 #48
    AC Man said:
    How come the Dog Whisperer can get 20 crazed pitbulls trained to get along in a pack  and my son and his girlfriend can't get their two dogs to get along if it killed them. 

Another person has a 10 year old dog that has started biting family and friends. Vet said not much you can do about it and last I heard they were getting rid of him for good!
    It is because your son breaks the pack rules without even knowing it. I worked with a great trainer who did police dogs when I trained my Golden. As he pointed out to me several times, it was not the dog who needed training, it was me. I still broke many rules due to how I wanted to interact with my dog. But my Golden was the best trained dog I ever had thanks to his help. But to train a dog right is a 100% commitment 100% of the time, not just the one hour a day working him. Every interaction develops the pack mentality and who is in charge. 

Owning a dog responsibly is a lot more work than most people realize, even many who own dogs. 

A great dog trainer is worth the money and they aren't cheap. 

If your son is near Gainesville have him give this guy a call

http://www.jkk9.com/

Mini Mart Magnate

AC Man said:

Because it is TV and edited.... He has had some severe fights.
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,515 Admiral
    Dog was euthanized.... Pretty clear.

No it would have been clear if the op actually said he euthanized his dog.
    "Euthanized", by definition, implies that the dog is terminally ill.  I prefer to say "sent to live on a farm".
    23895.gif
  • frankfrank Posts: 12,620 AG
    how about "killed because I couldn't be bothered to train it better or find it a better home"

No political signature
    Some dogs aren't trainable and are dangerous.  Not sure about passing a problem dog along.  I'm glad he didn't end the post with I came home to two dead dogs today. I'm happy for those two.

Captain Todd Approves

Fish Haid said:
    "Euthanized", by definition, implies that the dog is terminally ill.  I prefer to say "sent to live on a farm".
    No not really.... Lots of physically healthy dogs are put to sleep daily.

Euthanize means to humanely end a living being's life

edited July 10 #55
    My friend has had a pit mix for several years. Quiet family with children. First it killed their cat, then it bit the youngest son, then bit the oldest daughters girlfriend. Has also become food aggressive. 

He ain't long for this world. Any day now. I say the sooner the better. 

Couldn't pick a nicer family. Some dogs are just mean.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,188 Admiral
    YUP , Some Dogs..just like some Folks..Need Killin.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 718 Officer
    AC Man said:
    My friend has had a pit mix for several years. Quiet family with children. First it killed their cat, then it bit the youngest son, then bit the oldest daughters girlfriend. Has also become food aggressive. 

He ain't long for this world. Any day now. I say the sooner the better. 

Couldn't pick a nicer family. Some dogs are just mean.
    He would have been gone after the cat. The daughter for sure.
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 8,929 Admiral
    Couple of my buddies from Alachua shoot dogs without collars roaming their property.

No questions asked. 
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 1,987 Captain
    Next time contac savemyriver.  From what I heard He is supposedly a great trainer.
    A couple of things...
    Aggression towards other dogs or animals does not translate to aggression toward humans......
    A dog can be aggressive or reactive towards both other dogs and humans. Or not... They are two different drives and shown aggression against one is not a predictor that the dog will be aggressive towards the other.....

And fact is.... Some dogs will not get along... No matter what you do..... Pyro and Merlin don't get along... They never will and will never be trusted to get along... Both get along with other dogs.
  • jhedgjhedg Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    Fish Haid said:
    And what would be the correct way to keep one dog from killing the other?  Yelling had no effect.  Just let them fight it out?  I learned years ago what happens when you try to do sperate them by hand.
    I always used a hose direct shot to the face/w some water, ya dont do the separate by hand thing, had a hole bit through my hand when I was younger trying that

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file