What are your go to reels??

ragincajun92ragincajun92 Posts: 407 Deckhand
I have been slowly but surely buying better reels and rods for my inshore fishing. I am really loving The diawa BG with spinning reels and I’m going to stick with them for my spinning set up. What I am looking for are the casting reels that will hold up to saltwater use. Looking for some reels to look at and try..
Reelintension Go Pro Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/85stangbanger (plz like and subscribe)

Replies

• ChonggChongg Posts: 343 Deckhand
    I screwed around with some low to mid-priced shimanos for a few years, like the symetre and sienna. Sienna was great but I kept breaking the handle stem. Symetre held up for a few years but it quickly lost its smoothness, and I have had problems with the bails. Got a Daiwa BG a month ago and absolutely love it. Out of the box it feels like a better reel than the shimanos I use. We'll see how it holds up this season. 
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 1,393 Officer
    I have a 10 year old sustain, still ridiculously amazing.  It is still my go to, despite its age.  I also have a stradic that I love.  I picked up a Nasci last year, so far so good.
  • TugasTugas Posts: 99 Greenhorn
    Daiwa saltist shimano torium if budget 

trinidad/ocea and saltiga if not 
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,137 AG
    Shimano Calcutta is by far my favorite saltwater baitcaster.
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 2,660 Captain
    I have a stradic FI I've had for 10+ years now that even after getting It dunked in the kayak still performs very well. The saragosa is a nice reel Iike for my cobia/big snook rod.

The daiwas bg felt great the last time I held it and I will probably add it my collection with my stradic soon.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,150 Moderator
    I guess people cannot read.  OP is asking about baitcaster reels, not spinners and every response is referring to a spinning reel.

Good baaitcasters for salt are the Shimno Curado, Daiwa Coastal, and Lews Custom Inshore.  Several other in each brand mentioned above
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 2,660 Captain
    Nope I cant lol I've had an Abu Garcia revo inshore for about 9 years now I use for topwaters and larger plugs. It's been the best baitcaster I've owned fresh or salt. The daiwa coastal I have used from a friend was a smooth reel too.
  • XafXaf Posts: 953 Officer
    My go to bait caster for salt water is the Daiwa Saltiga.  I have tried others in the same price range made by Penn, Shimano, Okuma, etc.  But the Saltigas are by far my favorites.
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 341 Deckhand
    You get what you pay for.
    Is that what you want?

We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 3,740 Captain
    Shimano Calcutta is by far my favorite saltwater baitcaster.
    I bought one of those years ago because of all the great reviews, but I just couldn't get it to cast like it should have. Took it back to the tackle shop and he had his reel guy go thru it and set it up. Did not improve. Felt like too much grease or braking . Casting any light lure was impossible. I put it away and haven't used it since.

Any tips?
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,137 AG
    edited July 2 #12
    Yeah, it's not a light lure reel.  lol 

What really holds back the Calcutta from being a light lure reel is it relies on centrifugal brakes to slow down the spool.  To really cast light weight lures well, magnets rather than the centrifugal breaks do a much better job, IMO.  Controlling a Calcutta with zero brakes engaged takes a very educated thumb.

But if I'm looking to cast light lures far (particularly into the wind!), I pick up a long spinning rod with light line, not a baitcaster.

That said, if you want to improve the performance of a Calcutta clean and/or replace all the bearings with good ones from Boca Bearing, including replacing the plastic bushing on the spool shaft with a bearing (a very neat trick!), and only using light oil in the bearings.  Make sure the raceway that the centrifugal brakes rub against is completely clean and free of oil and so are the brakes themselves and the posts they ride on.

Do you have the 100 or 200?  When you say "light", how light do you mean?

• scrubtechRickscrubtechRick Posts: 264 Deckhand
    I use a Quantum Cabo CBC20 that I've had for 10+ years.  Just replaced my Pfluger Supreme with a Quantum Smoke inshore about 6 months ago.  Highly recommended.
  • RareRare Posts: 220 Deckhand
    Look at the revo toro beast. Some use it for snook here and in the west coast for their yellow tail. (AJ)
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 3,740 Captain
    Tarponator

Been so long, not sure of the exact model. It was also spooled with mono. I'll check it out. It is at my office. What you say rings true.

I could cast my freshwater Shimano baitcasters a country mile with no back lash and drop the lure in a 5 gal. Bucket 60 ft away. The Calcutta I was a ****. Lol. 

It has been too many years for details. I think i will get it serviced and give it another go. A shame to sit a good rod and reel. Thanks!
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,078 Captain
    Whatever you get, don’t lay it in the sand
    You should have been here yesterday
  • tailwaterstailwaters Posts: 122 Deckhand
    I really like the Calcutta 400. Have had the same one going on 15 years. My only complaint ( more just a personal preference) was it didn't come in a left handed retrieve and it didn't pick up as much line as I wanted. Earlier this year I got a Diawa Lexa 300 wn that has a 7.1 gear ratio. Hold 280 yards of 30lb power pro and is incredible smooth. I mainly got it for tarpon but have taken it offshore a couple times to test out. Landed some nice gags, ARS and a 45lb king with it. So far very happy with the performance.  
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,262 Captain
    Shimano Tranx. 
    Baitcasters generally aren't meant for very light lures. Even bass guys using spinners for finesse lures/worms. 
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 341 Deckhand
    In my personal opinion. Calcutta's are one of the best bait casters on the market.
    Superior to the other competitors. Shimano has an amazing product. POWER ASSIST!

The reel holds 300 yards of 80 pound braid. Dusky pup.

If you like. I can show you how to brake it. ;)

We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
  • capt_steve93capt_steve93 StuartPosts: 3 Greenhorn
     I’m loving the new diawa bg  seares  real’s best bang for your buck and  they are built like tanks. 
    Nativefishingcharters.com - Stuart Florida inshore offshore fishing guide service 
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,678 Captain
    I'm with the Diawa BG crowd as well
  • SwimbaiterSwimbaiter Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Nice to hear someone interested in baitcasters for the Salt! Helps be a more well rounded fisherman in my opinion. 

I love my Avets for the hardest baitcaster use mid-offshore and surfcasting. They are excellent values and high performance reels. Not a dud in the line up in my opinion. My favorites are the Daiwa Ryogas which are absolutely superb reels. Look for the Shrapnel for better utility (is more like Tranx 300-400 in size, line capacity and feel). Built like a tank, literally, lol. Others I depend on are the Abu Garcia Toro Beasts. An absolutely incredible reels for the money and also built for hard use. Since Shimano dropped the earlier TE Calcuttas, I've been using the Daiwa TD Luna 100 and 300's. Fantastic reels. Will handle anything you throw at it and then some. Sleeper inshore reels I've depended on have been the Pflueger and Lews reels. Inshore reels are nice but not required if you care for them properly; rinse well after use, keep well lubricated, tear down frequently for full maintenance and corrosion prevention. The true salt water intended reels, despite what some may think still require the same level of care and maintenance. Hope this has helped!
    "... but for every predator there exists a bait which he cannot resist swallowing."
  • DfreedomDfreedom Posts: 85 Greenhorn
    I have  a combination of reels but my favorite is an old Shimano Symetre that just won't die.  That being said, I have an Okuma Trio I really like and recently was given a Fin Nor Lethal LT-40 that so far, I am very impressed with.  I like my Penns but, I just don't think they hold up cosmetically as well as the others do.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,165 Officer
    I use Shimano Bantam BMP 250s for inshore baitcasting.  They're old and have 5:1 gear ratios but they're smooth and last forever.  With a drag washer change they can handle pretty heavy fish.  I used to use one for albacore, with 12 lb line, on the west coast when I lived there.
  • jensenjeff1955jensenjeff1955 Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    First generation Quantum Cabo's
  • Widespread PanicWidespread Panic Posts: 191 Deckhand
    Light inshore Curado. Medium inshore Calcutta. Heavy inshore Avet. 
    I have coworkers from Texas that are Lews fans but are slowly switching to Concept 13. 
  • Kill_It_N_Grill_ItKill_It_N_Grill_It fort lauderdalePosts: 31 Greenhorn
    shimano curado are very good for saltwater,  havn't had much luck with the abu garcias.
  • Kill_It_N_Grill_ItKill_It_N_Grill_It fort lauderdalePosts: 31 Greenhorn
    however for inshore spinning reels the Shimano stradic **** has been a dominating forse.  light, good drag, smooth, and really there are NO faults
  • FroglizaFrogliza Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    I love my Shimano Curado K for inshore

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file