Red Tide In Captiva Pass?

SerotoninSerotonin Cape CoralPosts: 134 Deckhand
I've been out of town but was hearing about problems with red tide around Boca Grande. Is captiva pass being affected or anywhere else in pine island sound?

Replies

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,688 Captain
    There are small pockets of red tide around Pine Island Sound and conditions are right for it to become much larger. The algae has also made its way into the sound in certain areas 
  • cracker4112cracker4112 Posts: 617 Officer
    It is patchy and from what I've seen you could encounter it almost anywhere from Englewood to Sanibel.  We caught bait on Saturday morning near Jug Creek and had bait start to die in the well about 1/4 mile away from where we caught it. Got out of there and had no problems the rest of the day running all around.  Definitely can get away from it in the sound.
    As of tonight the northern sound had red tide from Boca to Pelican Bay to Patricio
    Bokeelia had some dead fish as well, but didn't smell the red tide
  • stallan54stallan54 Posts: 88 Greenhorn
    What does everyone think of eating redfish caught near Punta Rassa?  Any caution about eating fish in red tide areas?
  • DfreedomDfreedom Posts: 85 Greenhorn
    I was just down in Bokeelia for 10 days.  Didn't see too much in the way of red tide or fish kill in that area but, out in the sound and up towards Boca Pass, lots of floaters.  We saw some huge grouper and lots of smaller fish, puffers for some reason.  Had no problems with bait and fished mainly in the southeast part of the harbor and in Jug Creek.
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,510 Moderator
    stallan54 said:
    What does everyone think of eating redfish caught near Punta Rassa?  Any caution about eating fish in red tide areas?
    Boy that question comes up every red tide out break. When turtles are getting sick ,fish are floating dead. For me it would be catch and release. I assure you I am no expert.
    larrywitt 
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 498 Deckhand
    Thick lines of dead fish off redfish pass today. Mostly pinfish, mullet and catfish but lots of eels and some grouper.
    Yeah Blind Pass area has it bad today

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file