Pro Angler Questions!

fishingkid315fishingkid315 Posts: 1,941 Captain
Hello All!! Here in the next couple months i will be upgrading to a new f-150. Most likely going to be getting the shorter bed because of wanting a full four doors. Now, with that said. I got rid of my 14ft paddle kayak before taking off for college but I am back. I have been wanting to get out there once i get my truck and the Pro Angler has caught my eyes... I have been working a lot so the price seems worth it to me, I dont know what other models would compete.

Questions- How does it do in the beds of trucks?
Is it worth the 2000$ 
Opinions on the kayak itself!

Thanks Everyone
Sarasota,Fl 
Fishing, Photography, Life

Replies

• fishingkid315fishingkid315 Posts: 1,941 Captain
    Also opinions on the Hobie Compass seems a bit more reasonable. 
    Sarasota,Fl 
  • towersurftowersurf Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    You would need a bed extender to carry a PA14 in a short bed truck, not a big deal. The PA 14 is heavy so I support the weight of mine in the bed with a couple of 4" PVC pipes. This prevents the weight from deforming the bottom. 
    Everyone will have their own opinion on whether its worth it or not. In my opinion if you want to keep kayaking simple then the PA 14 is not for you. If you will be on the water all day with several fishing poles, bait well, fish finder, throw net, fish bags, ect... then its hard to beat the PA 14. 
    I have not had any problems or issues with my PA14. Its very stable and standing up, even throwing a cast net is not an issue at all for me. Load capacity is very good and it has tons of space. Draft can be a bit of an issue on the flats. Turning radius is terrible if you dont have a lots of speed and are in current. I have to use the half oar to help me manuvuer when fishing under bridges. 
    Only you can answer the question of is it worth $2,000. I bought mine for retail cost about 4 years ago and have absolutely no regrets, its an incredible fishing platform. 
  • WhelanWhelan Posts: 193 Deckhand
    I have short bed pickup truck and use the T-Bone bed extender.  I also paid retail cost 3-4 years ago and its worth every penny to me.  Nothing else compares to the PA.  You can stand, it holds the XL live well, room for fish, etc.  If the $2,000 PA is in well maintained condition - you wont go wrong.    
    2014 Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7 Urban Camo
  • mjrudd1mjrudd1 Posts: 266 Deckhand
    I love my PA 12. Sold my other (paddle) kayaks because I never used them anymore. Also sold my old PA12 to get the new one with reverse - it is fantastic. With a short bed truck, I get 92" of bed+tailgate to support the yak. That is enough with the bow facing back. I use straps on each side of the bow to the top rear corners of the bed, which gives a little upward support as well as keeps it in the bed. And straps from the side bars to the front corners of the bed to keep it from moving around and extra security. Easy in and out of truck, held snug, no bouncing or deformations - nothing but 4 straps. Passed on buying the PA14 because it would be harder to haul with a short bed truck.

• fishingkid315fishingkid315 Posts: 1,941 Captain
    thanks eveyrone
    Sarasota,Fl 
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,497 Officer
    2x for using the bed extender for the kayak.,  and PA14 = comfortable fishing kayak.
  • MBC223MBC223 Palm Harbor, FLPosts: 13 Greenhorn
    I have both a 12 and a 14.  I prefer the 14 but the 12 is easier to manage.  You can carry them on their sides and fit both inside a short bed tundra tailgate down, no bed extender.  I run the extenDer when carrying the 14 solo.

I know they are big and heavy, but it's a fishing kayak.  It's not some white water dinglehopper.  I wouldn't have anything else.

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,253 Moderator
    I'll throw in some respect for the pro-angler. I don't own one because I don't have the space or a pickup truck, that kayak is a freakin' barge when hauling it on the beach. Once its on the water though, its remarkably stable and roomy, great fishing platform.

If you're interested in the compass, I have one and can tell you its as stable as an outback but as light (and almost as fast) as a revo. I can stand in my Compass, but i'm not that comfortable doing so offshore (you wouldn't have that problem in a pro-angler). I plan on doing a lot more fishing in my compass than my revo in the months to come.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,619 Admiral
    I will say this. Let no one tell you they are un tippable. One of the buddies I fish with was told that and believe it or not he is the only one of us out of three that has been in the water. He has the PA 14, my other buddy has the Slayer Propel 13, and I have the Old Town Predator PDL 13. They are all pedal craft . The bad part about it was it was 38 degrees out, and 48 degree water when he went in. He dropped all 4 rods an iPhone and all of his tackle in waist deep water. He fished it all out but was numb by then.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!
    II Chronicles 7:14

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file