Thank You Karl Wickstrom for 82 years

Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,745 Admin
edited June 27 in General Fishing #1
I am numb reading this and the only words that I can think of is 

"Thank You Karl.  Your lifes work will benefit all of us for many years to come".  

https://www.tcpalm.com/videos/news/local/martin-county/2018/06/26/karl-wickstrom-founder-florida-sportsman-magazine-dies-june-25/36385013/

Karl Wickstrom, 82, founder of Florida Sportsman magazine, tireless champion of clean water, marine conservation and recreational angler access, passed away Monday night in Stuart. The cause of death has not been determined, but Wickstrom had been previously diagnosed with congestive heart failure.

He is survived by his wife, Sheila, four children and three grandchildren.

Ink in his blood

Wickstrom was born in 1935 in Rock Island, Illinois. Throughout his life, he championed anglers’ rights and marine conservation causes in Florida. 

Wickstrom earned a journalism degree from the University of Florida and soon after began his career as a sports reporter. In 1960, he moved to Miami to work for the Miami Herald as an investigative journalist, winning state and national awards for reporting on corruption in public affairs.

In 1969, he founded Florida Sportsman (first titled Florida and Tropic Sportsman), engaging Vic Dunaway, at the time a well-known outdoors writer at the Herald, to lead editorial efforts at the new magazine.

Mark Wilson
AF1.124213220_sq_thumb_s.jpg

Replies

• Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,000 Officer
    Blair, my condolences to you and your family. God Bless... Pete Silot
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,678 Captain
    May he rest in peace. Thank you Karl for your tireless efforts to help our resource.
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,209 Officer
    His efforts will help generations of recreational anglers to come. RIP
  • MGDMGD Posts: 986 Officer
    Great guy that did great stuff!.

• INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,719 Captain
    Really sad.  Condolences to Eric, Blair and the rest of the family.  Your dad was looking out for us before most anyone else was.  I'll always be grateful for that.
  • pjepje Orlando , FlPosts: 515 Officer
    edited June 26 #7
    My condolences to the Wickstrom family . He did great things for all of us , please keep up his great work .
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,859 Captain
    I got out of the service and high tailed it down to Miami two days later more than 45 years ago... I'd never been here before and I was enrolled in school, declared a resident by affidavit .. all of this  was in the late summer of 1971.... and I knew next to nothing about saltwater fishing (and darned little about freshwater fishing, since there were only three outdoor magazines of any consequence way back then... no internet or any of the vids and other stuff we all take for granted now..).  Someone introduced me to Florida Sportsman way back then - and it was the foundation of all that followed for me...

I never met Karl - but did meet Blair - both are part of the world I've come to know... These days as magazines fade away I can't over state how important they were over the years.  I joined a fishing club in 1976 and began to learn a bit about basic conservation issues down here (and across the nation as I learned a bit..). Florida Sportsman led the fights we all lost back then along with the Miami Herald but we kept at it until we actually began to win a few of those fights.
    Karl Wickstrom will always stand out as a leader in all that followed.  

I hope there will continue to be others like him to take up the fight.  We're a long way from "winning" what will be a lifetime's struggle to restore, and protect the woods and waters of our state.  

Once again, wish I'd had the privilege of meeting Karl.  His family can certainly be proud of all he accomplished.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • gruntkinggruntking Posts: 792 Officer
    Really sad.  Condolences to Eric, Blair and the rest of the family.  Your dad was looking out for us before most anyone else was.  I'll always be grateful for that.
    x2. RIP Karl. 
  • BonesBones Posts: 178 Deckhand
    Well said Bob. A shame you two never met because you have a lot in common.  

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file