Targeting Grouper And Snapper

Captain Wilson Hubbard was a true visionary who, in 1956, began a marathon 18 hour fishing trip for hard-core anglers. He named his first head boat the Miss Pass-A-Grille:

In 1971 Captain Wilson established overnight weekend trips to the far off fishing grounds. His boat was the   Florida Fisherman l:

Today these 'hard-core' trips are bigger and better than ever. On June 17, 2018, the Florida Fisherman ll returned to John's Pass with a limited out boat load, two day limit, of over 175 American red snapper:

On that trip young Chelsey taught us a lesson. This nine year old anglerette was on fire.
June 22, 2018, the Florida Fisherman ll, following in the footsteps of Captain Wilson Hubbard,  again leaves for the  'overnight weekend trips to the far off fishing grounds'. Following in the footsteps of Chelsey is young Olivier. For this 39 hour trip we will be targeting grouper, not red snapper. Olivier is determined and so are we. Come Sunday morning will this young man join Chelsey in towering over a 'mountain' of fish? Will the Florida once again dock with a two day boat limit of American red snapper? Only one way to find out. Join us on the deck of the Florida Fisherman ll as we find out together. Tammy is ready and so are we:

Friday night is looking good, really good:

Early Saturday morning. All that 'catching' has made us hungry, very hungry. Chef 'Jersey Girl' Tammy to the rescue. A box full of fish and hot off the grill pancakes, bacon, & eggs... Captain Wilson, thank you so much for establishing a legacy that has withstood the test of time:

Replies

• harbisonharbison Posts: 2,564 Captain
    As the sun comes up we can still feel the watchful eye of Captain Wilson Hubbard watching over what he started so many years ago:

Today Captain Bryon Holland, one of the best of the best, leads the way. Captain Bryon, like Captain Wilson Hubbard, is a hands-on, very involved, Captain:

This is turning into another major catch:

Olivier, your dad, Mark, and even Chelsey, can be proud of the man you have become.

Lunch time... We in the deep south take both our fishing and our eating seriously. This is not just a burger, this is a 'Tammy burger'!

The grouper/snapper battles are ongoing:

edited June 25 #5
    Nice Trigger:

The 'targeted' grouper catch was good, very good. And the best part, all grouper are open for the remainder of the year. In addition, once again the entire boat completely limited-out on American red snapper, that's over 175 American reds. Can't help but wonder what the catch would be like if ARS were not 'endangered'!

Before hitting our comfortable air conditioned bunks, it's that time again:

6 A.M. Sunday morning... Already?

Another 'mountain' of fish. Atlanta, Georgia, can be very proud of Olivier and his dad, Mark:

Nothing like coming home Sunday morning in the money:

The very best of times... Plenty of fish, fine food, and the best of friends... This is our paradise on earth, this is our Florida:

'Catch' all the action in this short, action packed, video:
              https://youtu.be/0SiKgTNz_KU

Bob Harbison
    Florida Outdoor Writers Association
  • SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 119 Deckhand
    Wait a minute....now, I've been telling my son that he can't go on these trips until he's 12 because that is what their website says.

You're telling me there was a nine year old out there?

That's a bit irritating. 
    Looks like exceptions are possible. Will check into it.  Bob
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Posts: 524 Officer
    Awesome report! Really looking forward to getting my own gag on the August trip  B)
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
    Gag fishing has been outstanding.  Hope U go on a Friday where I can photograph your huge catch.  
    Regarding children under 12 on Hubbard's overnight trips. 
      Directly from Captain Dylan Hubbard:

Unfortunately, we do recommend kids be 13 years and up for our specialty trips. It’s actually a rule on our website and on our brochure, but we are somewhat flexible especially when we have some serious angler kids, like James Russo from NY is a professional angler who fishes for a living and his kid has been doing 7-10 commercial fishing trips with him since he was three years old. That kid was able to do our 39 hour very young and outfished most guys on the boat. If someone wants to bring a child under 13, we can make exceptions but we strongly discourage and the rule is there to do just that. For example, some children can’t be without electronics for 20 minutes let alone 39 hours and it’s a very long trip to find out your child doesn’t do well offshore fishing. However, if they have done some 10 and 12 hour trips with us or someone else or have done long range trips elsewhere there’s no reason they can’t join us for a 39 hour trip.

The nine year old kid in this report was not brought up to us, we didn’t know he had a child with him till he arrive there’s no child’s rate on the 39 hour so his booking was for two adults and when he showed up we found out he had a kid with him. At this point it was a little late to tell him to fly back home and not go, after this trip finding out his child did just fine he returns each year with his kid and they both have a great time and the young man doesn’t cause issues or trouble on the boat.

So if you want to bring your kind on the boat… just shoot us a call or Facebook message and we’d be happy to see what we can do to accommodate you both! For example, we say ‘no braided line’ on the boat and ‘no flip flops’ but we don’t kick people off for wearing flip flops or bringing braided line as long as they are happy using a top shot.

We are a family owned and operated family orientated company and we’d love to let everyone bring their kids on every trip but long range specialty trips aren’t always the place for every kid, ya know?

Thank you for your interest, hope this helps explain our policies and circumstances in the recent report by Bob Harbison!

Hope to see you again soon,

Capt. Dylan Hubbard

Hubbard’s Marina VP & Co-Owner

[email protected] (727)393-1947 ext 306

• ECGEOECGEO Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Bob. Hope you are on the 39 hr July 6. Cant wait to fish with you guys again and the bite looks as hot as the Florida sun.  George
    George, it will be an honor. I am scheduled to be there with both cameras rolling. Hope you are not camera shy.

This was from July 7, 2017:

• BfiBfi Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    SuperMutu said:
    Wait a minute....now, I've been telling my son that he can't go on these trips until he's 12 because that is what their website says.

You're telling me there was a nine year old out there?

That's a bit irritating. 
    i was wondering that as well
    Once again...  see Dylan's reply.
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 406 Deckhand
    harbison said:

Unfortunately, we do recommend kids be 13 years and up for our specialty trips. It’s actually a rule on our website and on our brochure, but we are somewhat flexible especially when we have some serious angler kids, like James Russo from NY is a professional angler who fishes for a living and his kid has been doing 7-10 commercial fishing trips with him since he was three years old. That kid was able to do our 39 hour very young and outfished most guys on the boat. If someone wants to bring a child under 13, we can make exceptions but we strongly discourage and the rule is there to do just that. For example, some children can’t be without electronics for 20 minutes let alone 39 hours and it’s a very long trip to find out your child doesn’t do well offshore fishing. However, if they have done some 10 and 12 hour trips with us or someone else or have done long range trips elsewhere there’s no reason they can’t join us for a 39 hour trip.

The nine year old kid in this report was not brought up to us, we didn’t know he had a child with him till he arrive there’s no child’s rate on the 39 hour so his booking was for two adults and when he showed up we found out he had a kid with him. At this point it was a little late to tell him to fly back home and not go, after this trip finding out his child did just fine he returns each year with his kid and they both have a great time and the young man doesn’t cause issues or trouble on the boat.

So if you want to bring your kind on the boat… just shoot us a call or Facebook message and we’d be happy to see what we can do to accommodate you both! For example, we say ‘no braided line’ on the boat and ‘no flip flops’ but we don’t kick people off for wearing flip flops or bringing braided line as long as they are happy using a top shot.

We are a family owned and operated family orientated company and we’d love to let everyone bring their kids on every trip but long range specialty trips aren’t always the place for every kid, ya know?

Thank you for your interest, hope this helps explain our policies and circumstances in the recent report by Bob Harbison!

Capt. Dylan Hubbard

I wish they DID kick people of the boat for fishing braided line...
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 406 Deckhand
    harbison said:

Capt. Dylan Hubbard

I wish they DID kick people of the boat for fishing braided line...
    edited July 2 #17
    Me too.  Looks like they are getting stricter & stricter on it. 
    I am glad they are being a little flexible on the under 12 situations. The 2 kids involved were as serious about fishing as anyone could be. In fact, they added a lot to our trip. 

Leaving for a 39 hour trip to the Grounds as we speak. Will share the first of next week. 
  • SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 119 Deckhand
    I fish braid on their boats.  I use appropriate weight to stay vertical and not drift all over like most guys.
    I also choose the spot on the front of the boat, I think spot 36.

It isn't the braid, it is the user.
    Braid is not that much of a problem, up front, unless the boat is really crowded and, as you say, the user knows how to use it correctly. During Red snapper season the Florida is sold out most of the time. Braid is discouraged because It's very difficult to untangle & cuts mono badly. 
    Just returned from the 39 hour 6/29/18 trip. The current was terrible, the boat was sold out. Under these conditions braid would have resulted in having not too many friends 
    We wanted to fish 200+ feet. The current was so bad we never passed the 170' mark. Regardless, the Florida docked Sunday morning with a two day boat limit of American red snapper. 

• JohnABJohnAB Posts: 156 Deckhand
    All of Dylan's seminars that I've watched he has said braid is o.k. as long as a top shot is used.  If they don't want braid, just say " NO BRAID" !
    Regardless of top shot or not it still tangles easily & cuts mono used by others. 
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 961 Officer
    Nothing wrong with kids - if they are gonna fish.

or braid - kinda hard to get some folks to fish properly tho - one novice can cause a whole lot of havoc with everyone down-current - mono or braid.
    Rich, no one could have said it any better! 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file