Scattered weed problem

CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 300 Deckhand
What is your solution if trolling is impractical?
I don't want to run 1/2 way to Bimini to find clean water!
Is there any lure that is truly weedless?

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

Replies

• MGDMGD Posts: 988 Officer
    Keep going till I find better water
  • rivamunstasteverivamunstasteve Posts: 574 Officer
    It all depends. I try it out and clean lines, and may bump into some fish. Otherwise I do move on to better water. 
  • The ParkerThe Parker Posts: 59 Greenhorn
    Sometimes got to deal with it but def dont run chuggers more bullet heads. Anything with a cup or flat head with catch everything i run more illanders and billy baits turbo slammer
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 956 Officer
    Keep your baits high and closer to the boat. Also bump your speed up a little.
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,399 Captain
    edited June 24 #6
    Was out last Monday off BBI. Had the same problem, no matter where you went the weeds were abundant.
    In 660' we found a defined line of broken weeds on a rip and got right in the middle of it - shutting down the engine to drift bait. We had some dead Pilchards and a package of unrigged Ballyhoo. We deployed 3 flat lines. Saw several Phins follow the bait when reeling to the boat, but they wouldn't bite. Wasn't too long and finally got a small Dolphin to chew. They really didn't seem interested in the Pilchards, so I re-rigged with the Bally's and tossed them out.  That made a big difference. We ended up boating 4 out of 6 hookups after that. If I had live bait, I'm sure we would have been much busier.
    So, the point of this is this.  The fish ARE THERE.  When the weeds are so thick you can't even troll, it doesn't seem to make sense to continue trolling and cleaning weed off your lines every 2 minutes. 
    Drifting in fishy water was the answer. We knew the fish were there, we could see them. Just had to regroup and figure out what would make them bite.

Pura Vida!
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 300 Deckhand
    Here's what worked for me once...some say it was luck,...I think it was was God's kindness! 
    I searched around small weed patches in blue water until my sounder lights up with fish then I stop and chum 1" chunks of frozen ballyhoo till they come up under the boat then I pitch a chunk on a 4/0 circle...that's it! There were several under the boat but my new friend and I only needed one each for our wives so we shot back at the ramp by 8 am.

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file