Boat Rod to pair with for Penn 7500

phinfanfrommdphinfanfrommd MarylandPosts: 18 Greenhorn
I want to re-purpose my Penn Spinfisher 7500 that I currently have on my surf rod set up. I am looking for a bigger species (shark specific) that I will fish off my father-in-laws small center console boat. Any recomendations on rod length, power, action, etc?

Thanks in advance for the replies. 

Replies

• DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 341 Deckhand
    There are quite A few.

http://composite-resources.com/stock-rods

Give them A call and ask the manufacturer the same question.
    They're the best person to give you that answer.

http://www.unitedcompositesusa.com/
    We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
  • BTVengeanceBTVengeance SCPosts: 23 Greenhorn
    There are quite A few.

http://composite-resources.com/stock-rods

Give them A call and ask the manufacturer the same question.
    They're the best person to give you that answer.

http://www.unitedcompositesusa.com/
    That is a very interesting and informative site, good post!
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 325 Deckhand
      Start with Star rods.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,859 Captain
    Howdy Phin, 
    I build every rod I hand my anglers (and have for many years now...).  The heaviest rod on my skiff most days does have a Penn 7500 on it, either spooled  with 20lb mono or 30lb braid (handy to have more than one spool of line for each spinner you use...).  We're fishing inshore along the coast of the Everglades most days where sharks are so thick we occasionally get triple hook-ups on critters in the 50 to 300lb range... We're never offshore so the 7500 is do-able as long as we're able chase after one that we can't turn... Out in the ocean that 7500 is only in the light range as far as gear goes and as long as you know that going in you're in for some adventures (and some of them will certainly be in the "un-stoppable" category).  Remember that with big fish it's not how strong your line is -it's much more about how much of it your reel holds...

For off the shelf rods here's what I'd be looking for... a rod length of 6'6" or 7' long (hooking big fish - the shorter rod is a bit easier on the angler -a rod is just a lever and you're on the wrong end...) that's rated for 20-40lb line. Already mentioned Star rods are worth a look - so are the cheaper Ugly Stik rods - both are very durable and will give good service... Avoid any rods with trick guides or flimsy reel seats (that reel seat is your contact point between reel and rod so it has to be heavy and durable if you're planning on getting down and dirty with something your size -or bigger....).  Locally a shop like Captain Harry's (or some place similar) not only has a good stock of locally built rods - but also has a catalog you can scan to see exactly what price range they offer as you go up the scale from cheap and sturdy to higher end rods.  I've been one of their customers since the early seventies (and at one time tied flies for them - they're simply first rate -captharry.com I believe..).

If you decide to build your own rod the first place to look is Mudhole (mudhole.com) since they carry every last bit of rod crafting parts you'll need as well as tutorials in their catalog to get you started.  I believe they also do rodbuilding seminars.   Be careful about rod crafting since it's addictive - and you're always wanting to build something for a specific purpose - or a new reel you simply had to have.... 

By the way, those old 7500's are very durable and still have parts available to keep them running.  On my skiff,  anglers have taken many, many tarpon (up to 150), lots of sharks up to 300lbs  (bigger ones need heavier gear than 20lb line and a 7500)... -along with many, many other big fish when we're not tossing lures or using fly gear, like we were yesterday...

Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file