Steinhatchee Short Reef

wingbreakerwingbreaker Posts: 150 Deckhand
Hi All, thinking about gong scalloping over there this year. I notice there is a reef (artificial?) just a few miles off from the river mouth. Will this spot be worth dropping a line at for some summer fishing or stick nearshore? TIA Wing

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,981 Admiral
    You don't really go scalloping on the reefs, you look for grassflats where the scallops hang out in 4-8' of water best is usually where there are freshwater outflows into the gulf.  

Scalloping is pretty easy really, just head out early, and around 9am look for the swarm of boats and start doing what everyone else is doing. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • wingbreakerwingbreaker Posts: 150 Deckhand
    Ehh, talking about fishing.
    Igo scalloping every year, just never messed with the fish. 
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 818 Officer
    edited June 13 #5
    hello all those public reefs are fished out, at sea **** they’ll give u good info where to fish for trout and red fish, they’re good people, the water in the flats where the scallops usually are looks like chocolate milk hopefully they’ll be some
    Every year I've gone the water has been clear there, and fill up. Hmmm maybe I'm lucky. Just never fished there.
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 818 Officer
    just reread ur post, soda is right those teefs are. for fishing the scallops are in the grassflats
    edited June 13 #8
    Aye aye aye SMH Does the short reef have fish in the summer? Please only post if you have first hand knowledge thanks. I more than understand scallops are in the grass flats near shore, been doing it for many many years now.
  • LakotaRainLakotaRain JaxPosts: 9 Greenhorn
    edited June 13 #9
    A couple of years ago we hit some spots northwest of the river mouth in about 20' of water.  First spot nothing but grunt and a juvenile Gag.  Second spot had grunt and some nice Red Porgy.  Third spot was barren but we lucked out when a school of chicken dolphin swam by..  Held them by the boat while the boys plucked a dozen out of the blue... All numbers were public provided by the folks at Sea ****.  Hope that helps.
    25 Sea Fox Voyager...

A couple of years ago we hit some spots northwest of the river mouth in about 20' of water.  First spot nothing but grunt and a juvenile Gag.  Second spot had grunt and some nice Red Porgy.  Third spot was barren but we lucked out when a school of chicken dolphin swam by..  Held them by the boat while the boys plucked a dozen out of the blue... All numbers were public provided by the folks at Sea ****.  Hope that helps.
    That's what I'm talking about, thanks. Yes, the numbers I am getting are from Sea ****. There is one in particular really close, SW of the river mouth. The ones you are talking about are not too much further. Just looking for options before high sun when we will be in the water getting sclaps.
  • PicmanPicman Posts: 43 Greenhorn
    Go forth and be a trailblazer.. You'll never catch anything on a guarantee from someone that they caught something one time in the past...SHEEZUS...
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,294 Moderator
    The trout are on the deeper flats and to an extent near the river mouth but boat traffic is heavy there. 9 - 14' should get you some trout and macs out away from the crowds. Good luck.

On another note.. I once caught a 26" trout on cut pinfish in mid July in the channel just down from Roy's ..
    "You'll get your weather"
    The trout are on the deeper flats and to an extent near the river mouth but boat traffic is heavy there. 9 - 14' should get you some trout and macs out away from the crowds. Good luck.

On another note.. I once caught a 26" trout on cut pinfish in mid July in the channel just down from Roy's ..
    Great info, thanks a bunch. You guys use bobbers over there? I'm used to flat lining and or using basic fishfinder/weight set up.
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 314 Deckhand
    edited June 14 #14
    Never fished the reef but we fished the flats in the morning and evening last year and had a blast on the trout and lady fish. Ran a few miles south and fished in about 7-8 feet of water, per instructions of people at Sea ****. They said the depth where the fish are changes, so make sure you get current intel. We fished gulps under a cork. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file