Tips? Running out of Boca inlet,trying to stay within 3-4 miles and leverage artificials/strip bait

Boat's a Boston Whaler Montauk 170, and I run out of the Boca inlet. There's no livewell and I try not to go more than 3-4 miles out weather permitting.

Right now my equipment is a pair of Penn Battle II 4000 combos loaded 30 lb power pro braid. My goal is to target something my family and I can eat for dinner. Lately I've been trolling a blue/silver Rapala rapx in about 75' and have caught bonito haha, good bait at least.

Any tips on how I can most effectively fish that water column inline of 3-4 miles? Ideally with artificials, or I can use bonito strips.  I appreciate any insight you can provide! 

For electronics I have a Lowrance Elite9TI, Totalscan transducer, Nav Plat+ maps for the local area. Have a T-Top which has 4 rod holders, and then have 2 rail mounted rod holders, one on each side. 

Thank you! 

Cheers

Replies

• CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Posts: 238 Deckhand
    edited June 13 #2
    Mann's stretch 30 redhead - catches everything...kings, bonito, skipjack, mahi, grouper, Jack Crevalle, etc.

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• brianbbrianb Posts: 2,259 Captain
    I recommend you bottom fish for snapper if you want edible fish this time of year, unless you like to eat kingfish. 
  • jheiiijheiii Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    edited June 13 #4
    Cool, I'll try that mann stretch 30 redhead out... how do you suggest rigging it? How fast would you suggest running it?

Caught a couple kingfish and spanish mackerel 2 days ago and they cooked up great! They weren't huge, have noticed on the larger kingfish the meat tends to get grayer. Cut the bloodline out, oven at 400*, seasoned up and the family ate good. 

Any tips on bottom fishing snapper? I figure find structure, put some cut up frozen sardines or chunks of bonita on a Mustad 1 hook, free line it out on a 1/2 oz or 1oz egg sinker, on a 10 or 15lb maybe 6 feet of flouro or mono leader presentation?
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Posts: 238 Deckhand
    edited June 17 #5
    For your Mann's stretch 30 add 6-8 feet of 60 lb. fluro to your braid without swivel...tie direct to lure. Troll over the tops of reefs 25-40' and you'll catch grouper @ 4-6 mph.
    A grouper expert said, "If your lure is not hitting the bottom you are not deep enough."
    I even picked up a legal mutton once in 40'  just outside the Hillsboro Inlet doing 5 mph!  :open_mouth:

Troll outside the reef 6-8 mph about 100-150 feet back...make sure your knots are perfect! 

I'm incompetent with snapper.*..but there are experts here that may want to assist you...but FIRST read thru some recent threads...there's GOLD there!!!
    Also check out South General Fishing & Outdoors. 

* Slab out your bonito to 1/2" thick and coat flesh side liberally with rocksalt and also a dusting of baking soda that preserves color making it tough to get off the hook...you can pre-cut your bait chunks before you throw it in the freezer, or just take a frozen slab next time you go and cut them on the boat. There are youtubers who can show you how to make strip baits for trolling with sea witches with or without planers.

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• bmoodybmoody Posts: 893 Officer
    Don't overlook frozen sardines fished flat on a circle hook -- sails, kings, dolphin, runners (blue and rainbow), bonita, etc., etc....  It is super simple fishing!  You can also drop chunks, slabs, or whole sardines down to the bottom at the same time.

200' should be in your range that far south.  Some really nice blackfin are taken on live bait down that way.  Consider a simple winnow bucket in a 5 gallon bucket to get a few white bait out to depth with you.  (So says the guy that almost never bothers with live bait...)
  • Boca KrisBoca Kris Posts: 128 Deckhand
    For kingfish, try this: soak the steaks in regular milk overnight in the fridge. Make sure the steaks are covered. The milk draws out the oil and will turn the milk gray. My Italian buddy taught me that trick and I've never eaten king (aside from what I smoke) without that trick, it makes a big difference. Then, you can clean up the bones and do it with white wine, capers and butter. I've fed a lot of people king who had no idea!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file