Nearshore/Jetty Trip 6-12-18 (Tested New Rhodan)

We only had a few hrs to fish, but wanted to try out our new Rhodan. I've been working overtime shifts for 6mths to put enough cash in my pocket for this purchase. These trolling motors aren't cheap, especially when you add in all of the other stuff needed. I went w/ the 24v 60" shaft after hearing from a few sources that it would hold my boat. It did really well offshore, and held us tight. It was pretty bumpy w/ the stiff offshore wind chop, and a tight 2'-3' swell coming from the South. We also tested it at the Mayport jetties during a falling tide. It did well there too, but we didn't fish very long in the current, so I'm not sure how it will perform over an extended time. Anyway, we caught some fish, and brought a few home for dinner too.

Here's Eli w/ his big flounder...

and here's our short YT video of the trip.

- Joey

Replies

• Knotty DreadKnotty Dread Posts: 131 Deckhand
    Awesome day! What kind of boat do you have? Trying to determine which brand/size of trolling motor I should go with on my boat....
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,112 Admiral
    AWESOME JOB JOEY !!

LOVE THE RHODANS......that one will do fine for you in all conditions ......
  • sandy1147sandy1147 Posts: 113 Deckhand
    Nice work!
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 1,405 Officer
    Awesome day! What kind of boat do you have? Trying to determine which brand/size of trolling motor I should go with on my boat....
    We have a Dusky 217, also known as a Dusky 19. It's a pretty heavy 19' boat.

Cast_N_Blast said:
    Nice flattie!
    Thanks, it's easily our biggest.

Sea Snake said:
    AWESOME JOB JOEY !!

LOVE THE RHODANS......that one will do fine for you in all conditions ......
    Thanks. I hope so, because I'm going to test it real hard this fall on the flounder.

sandy1147 said:
    Nice work!
    Thanks. We had a lot of fun on the short trip. Especially Eli!
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 521 Officer
    sweet! never been on one but always loved the look and concept behind the duskys!!
    we need more internet money
  • Knotty DreadKnotty Dread Posts: 131 Deckhand
    Thanks Joey.  My boat is similar to that, so it's good to know a setup like yours would work for me....
  • GuanagatorGuanagator MayportPosts: 250 Deckhand
    edited June 13 #9
    Nice flounder!!! I’ve got a 24v motorguide on my 19 Panga which is a lighter boat, it holds well on the rocks and offshore. For the main river it won’t hold on a strong tide in the channel, slow your drift to a crawl but won’t hold. I don’t want the extra weight of a 36 since I fish the flats/ creeks at low tide and use oak harbor ramp at all tides. 
  • TenacvolsTenacvols St JohnsPosts: 1 Greenhorn
    Nice to know about the Rhodan.  I have a 36V 84 Inch shaft ordered and expecting it any day now.  I’m pretty stoked to get it on the boat and try it out!!
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 1,405 Officer
    Nice flounder!!! I’ve got a 24v motorguide on my 19 Panga which is a lighter boat, it holds well on the rocks and offshore. For the main river it won’t hold on a strong tide in the channel, slow your drift to a crawl but won’t hold. I don’t want the extra weight of a 36 since I fish the flats/ creeks at low tide and use oak harbor ramp at all tides. 
    I'm probably pushing the weight limit for my Rhodan, so I won't be surprised if it has trouble in the main river. Time will tell...

Tenacvols said:
    Nice to know about the Rhodan.  I have a 36V 84 Inch shaft ordered and expecting it any day now.  I’m pretty stoked to get it on the boat and try it out!!
    Dang, that's a big one! 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file