Dolphin Reports

I believe that sk018 may have started this same thread last year, and I feel like it's appropriate right about this time to bring it back to life. I'm making it so that anyone can post their dolphin reports if they want to, and the newcomers and everyone in general can find some solid information all in one thread. I've heard that there's been quite a few decent fish around... so ENJOY!

Replies

• ashley24ashley24 Posts: 137 Deckhand
    for the weekend of 06/8. they were there but not schooling, you have to work to get some mahi. Too much bait around but they are there. Lots of weeds.
    Hopefully this continues during this week.
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,777 Captain
    I posted a report from 6/1-6/10...what Ashley said is pretty accurate from what I saw.  All weed patches were loaded with bait..Larger fish spraying fliers moving quick
  • AOKRVsAOKRVs Posts: 1,671 Captain
    all over in 650
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Fishing/Snorkeling/Sunset Cruise

. www.AOKCharters.com

. www.AOKRVs.com   -- The best prices on the best best brands everyday.

• msk99msk99 Posts: 281 Deckhand
    I had success last week in shallow.  Like reef shallow...caught 7 anchored on the reef.  Triple header a few hundred yards from the Thunderbolt.  Aside from that had our best luck on rips, weeds and debris in less than 300 feet.  Only a couple schoolies, rest were lifters and a few gaffers.  We caught more than enough shallow we didn't feel the need to head way out.  Strange but I wasn't complaining!
  • dutchbrosdutchbros Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Tuesday out of  kcb .... trolling weed line at 650 caught around 20 fish, half undersized but did get a couple gaffers in the 10 to 15lb range and 4 lifters in the 25 inch range. Not many schooling and the few followers weren’t interested in pitch baits except for one school. Very skittish. If we had some live bait at the time probably a different story.
  • SaltologySaltology Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    Glad to hear some different reports, heading down around mid july, hope to see them still around
  • fishfriedfishfried NE FloridaPosts: 1 Greenhorn
    Fished Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday from 300’ out to 600’.  Scattered weeds all over the whole week.  Sunday we picked up one undersized dolphin.  Tuesday we had one knock down and landed a 28”.  Today (Thursday) we had one knock down, no other bites.  Slow week offshore for us.
  • canyonrunnercanyonrunner Posts: 43 Greenhorn
    Marathon. Left dock 6;30 am back 11 am
    Scatteted weeds to 650 today.  Stopped once along a weed bed . Jigged a bit . Hooked  a short fin. Had 30 or so below me all  babys threw  some chunks nothing bigger I could see.  No full size ballyhoo with me. Trolling picked up one bull big enough for the gaff and a couple legal swing aboards. Weeds so broke up Only ran 2 rods. One of those days when 2 minutes after after you get them out. Your forced thru weeds. Better than work tho !

• guifriguifri Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    was on the water from KCB from June1st to 8th. 2nd half was netter. From 350-650 best results in scattered weed. From schoolies to 8-10lbs phins with max trolling 2 rods. 
    Last day solo 10 in the morning. Bite always slowed down after 11 am.
  • seapro15seapro15 Posts: 58 Greenhorn
    Fished the last couple days out of marathon out to 650'. Tons of scattered weeds. Picked up some short phins in 300' and a few bailers randomly out deeper. Could only manage trolling 2 rods because of the weeds.
  • dutchbrosdutchbros Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Today and yesterday June 14th and 15th. Trolled mainly between 550 and 650, caught a lot of shorts, but managed 7 keepers yesterday and 6 today. Bailers with a couple 8-10 lbers thrown in. Tough sledding with all of the weeds....most coming off the largest floating masses of weeds. Nice conditions seas 1-2. Just not a lot of schooling fish.
  • HallTHallT Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Picked up 3 keepers (21-23") and over 20 shorts over the past 2 mornings throwing chuggers and bucktails on the weedlines. 150-300'.
  • 5early5early Posts: 41 Greenhorn
    This is great. I’m trying to get my 8 year old his first dolphin this trip. I’ll try to share my info daily on this thread as thanks to those who’ve posted already. We’ll be “On Plane” on channel 68(?) today through the 24th. 
  • MymartyMymarty Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Went out of Marathon 6/10 to 6/15. Found weeds in 200-250ft range and picked up 6 keepers on Sunday, one trolling and the rest throwing squid chunks. The rest of the week we only managed 1 keeper on a cedar plug way back and about 20 shorts mostly on the cedar and a few on a pink squid teaser. We tried stopping and throwing squid, ballyhoo and lures at larger patches but the fish would only look at the baits and not take. Went out to 500ft and had only one knock down going by a floating bucket. Tough week but we did well on snapper and Cero's on the Gulf side.
  • MGDMGD Posts: 966 Officer
    Mymarty said:
    Went out of Marathon 6/10 to 6/15. Found weeds in 200-250ft range and picked up 6 keepers on Sunday, one trolling and the rest throwing squid chunks. The rest of the week we only managed 1 keeper on a cedar plug way back and about 20 shorts mostly on the cedar and a few on a pink squid teaser. We tried stopping and throwing squid, ballyhoo and lures at larger patches but the fish would only look at the baits and not take. Went out to 500ft and had only one knock down going by a floating bucket. Tough week but we did well on snapper and Cero's on the Gulf side.
    Well you found some.
    :-)
    Did u have a smaller boat that you didn't venture offshore further? Getting to that time of year when u have to put on some miles.

• ashley24ashley24 Posts: 137 Deckhand
    We caught 19, but had to work to get them. Lots of peanuts, nice weed line in 650 had better size fish. 
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 2,928 Captain
    weedlines +birds 650' 2day no measuring req'd
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Well the past two days we’ve had fish in 600’ ish. Birds one day which got my son his first dolphin. Yesterday it was trolling along the weed line. 
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 2,928 Captain
    all over ib 730' birds
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gnr33gnr33 Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Went out Key Largo to 750' on saturday. Weeds were a pain in the **** managed 2  legal and as many jacks as you could want. Problem is I didn't want any.
    Yesterday off big pine scattered weeds and isolated legal fish in 650’. schools under birds were easy but mostly 19.5”. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file