6/11 Venice Bottom Fishing

bigfinn35bigfinn35 Posts: 520 Officer
Day started with a run out of Venice Inlet around 7:45 am. Seas were about as flat as I've ever seen them, made the 32-mile run to D9 in about 50 min. I usually fish out of a 22' center console so that's about as far out as I'd ever gone before. Played around with some goliaths and lost a real nice grouper (some guys spearfishing down there said they saw some huge gags, so guessing it was one of them). The goliaths were a constant threat, my cousin's buddy hooked 3 and had one completely straighten a 10/0 circle hook in about 30 seconds! Picked up a ton of vermillions, kept 10 or so of the biggest. Also saw about a 6-foot wahoo cruising by, but couldn't get him to eat :( 

Recently got some numbers for a few spots further offshore from a friend's guide buddy who moved to Arizona, so we figured that if we were ever gonna explore them then today was the day to do it! Moved to a spot a couple miles further in 115', and picked up the first ever legal red snapper caught from my boat! Super cool for me as I've never been able to fish deep enough for them from my own boat. Put him on ice, but didn't get much else there so we moved another few miles out to some rocks in 125' for the last hour or so of fishing. This was the money spot, put 3 legal RG in the boat on the first drift (including my new PB!). Got a few more vermillions and lanes (plus a couple sharpnose sharks) and made the run back in. Awesome day out, first time I've gotten to go really far out since I went to Virginia for college last fall. 

Tight lines y'all

Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.

Replies

• showstoppershowstopper Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    I would delete the part about the vermillions for bait.  Not legal.
  • csheridan6159csheridan6159 Posts: 75 Greenhorn
    I would delete the part about the vermillions for bait.  Not legal.
    Yup definitely not.
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Posts: 520 Officer
    Thanks for the tip. Thought it was legal to use them if you count them in your bag limit and use legal sized ones? Where am I wrong?
  • showstoppershowstopper Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    Good luck explaining what you thought to Officer Hargreaves when he reads or hears of this.  This is an admission of guilt on your part.  I am quite sure he will very courteously explain it to you while he writes up your violation.  Probably will be $250 and court costs.
  • mannn123mannn123 Posts: 106 Deckhand
    bigfinn35 said:
    Thanks for the tip. Thought it was legal to use them if you count them in your bag limit and use legal sized ones? Where am I wrong?

Reef Fish are illegal to be used as bait in Federal Waters.
    Good luck explaining what you thought to Officer Hargreaves when he reads or hears of this.  This is an admission of guilt on your part.  I am quite sure he will very courteously explain it to you while he writes up your violation.  Probably will be $250 and court costs.
    Woah there, chill out. I know I'm not exonerated for not knowing about it, just wanted to know what the actual rule was
  • AnzueloAnzuelo Posts: 34 Greenhorn
    Lighten up guys. This guy made the his biggest offshore trip ever in a 22 foot boat and had a big day. He then decided to post about it, which is the entire purpose of the Forum. And you read the post and decide to bust his chops about using bee liners as bait?  If you want to know why no one posts on the board anymore .... you now have your answer. 
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 601 Officer
    bigfinn, late to the party here, but looks like you had a solid day. Congrats on the first of many to come.  Its days like this that will make you want to get a bigger boat to get out more often. If you pick and choose your days, no reason you cant make these runs... just make sure you are properly equipped in the case of an issue... TowBoat Us membership, an Epirb, VHF radio with a big stick, and in my opinion a Delorme InReach would be the minimum extras I would want in addition to the standard life jackets and safety gear required. Again, Congrats on a great day! 
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
    bigfinn, late to the party here, but looks like you had a solid day. Congrats on the first of many to come.  Its days like this that will make you want to get a bigger boat to get out more often. If you pick and choose your days, no reason you cant make these runs... just make sure you are properly equipped in the case of an issue... TowBoat Us membership, an Epirb, VHF radio with a big stick, and in my opinion a Delorme InReach would be the minimum extras I would want in addition to the standard life jackets and safety gear required. Again, Congrats on a great day! 
    Thanks! Got the Epirb and a big VHF antenna, only really planning on making runs this long when the weather is as incredible as it was that day. Usually I'll stick to my spots within 20 miles or so. Was amazing to make the long run this time though!
    Anzuelo said:
    Lighten up guys. This guy made the his biggest offshore trip ever in a 22 foot boat and had a big day. He then decided to post about it, which is the entire purpose of the Forum. And you read the post and decide to bust his chops about using bee liners as bait?  If you want to know why no one posts on the board anymore .... you now have your answer. 
    Well I'm glad I know for the future not to advertise using them haha, good of the others to point that out at least
  • ccriderccrider Posts: 479 Deckhand
    Anzuelo said:
    "Lighten up guys. This guy made the his biggest offshore trip ever in a 22 foot boat and had a big day. He then decided to post about it, which is the entire purpose of the Forum. And you read the post and decide to bust his chops about using bee liners as bait?  If you want to know why no one posts on the board anymore .... you now have your answer."

You got that right this forum is dead, this is the first time I've been on in a long time and only see a few old familiar names. It's a shame too as there used to be some very good info to be had and shared for our region on this board. @ssholes and b.s. drama drove everyone away.
  • teamfiveteamfive Posts: 82 Greenhorn
    Nice work on the fish ! I will be down in a couple weeks ,the 28th/10th hopefully get out there ! We got a red snapper back at christmas out 20 miles . He was only about 16 inches though . I second what capt.dan said i have the delorme inreach and had to use it ,it worked well.
  • teamfiveteamfive Posts: 82 Greenhorn
    edited June 15 #14
    I don’t know why it posted twice.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file