How many short dolphin die?

In my opinion, smaller fins are more tender and taste better.  I would keep 5 or so under current regs if no size limit. Meanwhile maybe 20 or more are caught and culled because of size. How many do you think. Die after release? Im very careful, but hooked thru eyes , a bit deep..I. Thinking 20-40 % die within a few days..wouldn't it be better to get rid of size limit ?  More would live to get bigger and spawn.  Just a rant ..  

Replies

• bonebone Posts: 1,058 Officer
    Be nice to be able to use a 16"ER for bait. 
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,777 Captain
    Not many if you handle them and they haven’t swallowed... if they drop off the hook and flop around the boat and beat the **** out of themselves and you can’t catch them off th deck, many probably die.  We tagged 15 this year and all but 2 swam off good.  That said, we threw a few in before we could tag them Bc the tag wasn’t ready and w didn’t wanna kill them. 
    Mid there we’re no limit everyone would just load up on the 18 inch fish everywhere and instead of moving not on to larger fish just fill the box 
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,322 Officer
    I agree some dont live but if no size limit
    it would go back to the days when people had
    buckets of fish.The tails would barely be sticking out
     of the bucket.
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 185 Deckhand
    Now that's a good question.

http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/dolphin/

Yesterday I experienced my throwback of one species that was bigger than
    my keepers of another species. Neither am I complaining. I can afford to lose
    an easy 20 pounds. Some people say that one taste better. It's apples and
    oranges, can it really be discussed?
    We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
  • GratefulEdGratefulEd Posts: 292 Deckhand
    Thought I remembered reading that they’re one of the fastest growing fish in the sea. Like, 10 lbs per year or something like that.   ?
  • AMPEDAMPED Posts: 592 Officer
    My two cents;

One; no matter how skilled you are with a filet knife there isn’t much yield on an under size dolphin.  However,  I do agree with you the texture of the meat is better in smaller fish. A 10-15 pound fish is more tender than a 40 pound bull.

Two; I have caught dolphin with one eye, chunks missing out of them that have healed, half of a tail, and countless ones that have been billed by marlin, etc.  These fish have high survival rates as proven by several tagging programs.  For the fish that do die the remain in the food chain.  

2016 39 Sea Vee
    2008 37 Ocean Billfish
    2005 30 Grady-White Marlin
    1993 27 Ultress Catamaran
    1985 Grady-White Trophy
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,777 Captain
    Not many if you handle them and they haven’t swallowed... if they drop off the hook and flop around the boat and beat the **** out of themselves and you can’t catch them off th deck, many probably die.  We tagged 15 this year and all but 1 swam off good.  You just have to grab them and unhook them a little quicker and not let them hit the deck
  • pjepje Orlando , FlPosts: 470 Deckhand
    In my opinion, smaller fins are more tender and taste better.  I would keep 5 or so under current regs if no size limit. Meanwhile maybe 20 or more are caught and culled because of size. How many do you think. Die after release? Im very careful, but hooked thru eyes , a bit deep..I. Thinking 20-40 % die within a few days..wouldn't it be better to get rid of size limit ?  More would live to get bigger and spawn.  Just a rant ..  

Getting rid of the size limit would just make things worse , haven't you noticed how the "run" has diminished a little more each year ? We used to have a great year round fishery for them , now it's just here and there . It has been on a gradual decline the last 5 or so years . Fewer and smaller fish each year , Fl used to have some pretty big mahi , now it's just peanuts for the most part . 

Think about how it might be if the limit was 25" , giving them a little more time to spawn . I know that's gonna make me popular lol . But it would probably result in better fishing in a couple years , instead of the lackluster fishing we have been having more and more of lately . 

I'm no expert , just someone who has been fishing here my entire life , and has seen the decline in fishing over the years . And it's not going to get any better anytime soon . 

See the difference in a few months 

Dolphinfish Research Program
  • canyonrunnercanyonrunner Posts: 43 Greenhorn
    Interesting info and a lot of good points.

I was under the impression that the decline of the number of dolphin was due to commercial fishing . I certainly wouldn't want the limit of fish lifted. I hear stories of large numbers of under sized fish caught
    And there is some mortality I personally leave the area when they seem to be all short or just over, usually have a couple for meals by then. Seem to catch my biggest ones every year as loners anyway the tough ones but they are more fun!

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,454 Captain
    Some will die but i wouldn't lose sleep over Dolphin. It is out of season, or short Snappers and Groupers brought in from fairly deep waters that concern me more. Even with venting their chances aren't as great as many other species and they are much slower growers. 

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

Yeah , there is a lot of commercial pressure on them on the way here through the Carribbean and from long liners from the US as well . And they are still trying to get even more hooks in the water in the areas that were closed to them 18 years ago , but no one cares about it until it's too late . The demand for seafood is going up , and these guys won't stop until it's all gone . 

Mahi are very resilient and tough , I have caught plenty with old and fresh battle wounds . Got one a week or so ago with fresh bill marks , not sure if it happened while fighting it or not .  (Got a double of blues right after , lost one though )  Kinda puts things in perspective after catching 50lb mahi daily  , then coming home and seeing nothing but peanuts .  

• mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 6,052 Admiral
    How exactly would 'more' live to get bigger and spawn if you could harvest undersize fish?

In 3-5 months from hatching Mahi are 5-6 lbs and sexually mature.  There really is no good reason to decrease the legal size on them.  Your undersized fish you catch are just a few months old.

Captain Todd Approves

• canyonrunnercanyonrunner Posts: 43 Greenhorn
    How exactly would 'more' live to get bigger and spawn if you could harvest undersize fish?

If people catch 15 under size and 5 die They are not getting any bigger

If they have 4 legal now catch 6  small and keep. They are done at 10 a gain of 5  extra dolphin alive.

That's a perfect world 
    Maybe some people would keep 40 small and no big ones 
    Where they would have caught 2 big ones and released 40. With 5 dieing

Then we  or dophin lose 

Again never work . To many people already keep more than they need.

Original post just venting after releasing a short that was not going to make it. 

I leave right away when there are peanuts under the boat. Btw 

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,454 Captain

I leave right away when there are peanuts under the boat.  

Me too. I fish and dive to harvest. I don't like the C and R thing. Same thing if I am fishing for deep water Snappers like Yelloweyes. If 3 out of 4 coming up are short. I move on. I hate wasting the resource.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 2,936 Captain
    a buttload of em- and it is a waste of the resource. linit should be 10/boat no size
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • N2naclh20N2naclh20 Posts: 262 Deckhand
    a buttload of em- and it is a waste of the resource. linit should be 10/boat no size
    Agree, the posts of people holding tiny dolphin is laughable..."if it's Legal, I'm killin' it, this is 'Merica by god"!!
    There is no greater passion than that of a fisherman.
    Avatar photo: Grandparents and my Dad at Blowing Rocks, Jupiter 1923.
  • Ron@.38 SpecialRon@.38 Special Posts: 6,751 Admiral
    Thought I remembered reading that they’re one of the fastest growing fish in the sea. Like, 10 lbs per year or something like that.   ?
    More like 1lb per week!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file