Big Bear - No PFD

Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 1,796 Captain
edited June 12 in Off Topic #1
The Ozark National Scenic Riverway, in Southeast Missouri, is a wonderful resource. It's a great place to camp, canoe, and fish. The Current River, the Jack's Fork River, and the Elevenpoint River are surrounded by relatively wild woodlands, though they seem to be getting wilder. Once a rarity, and thought to be wanderers from Arkansas, a population of Black Bear's now has a secure foothold in these parts of the Ozarks.

A 400-pound male black bear was found dead against a root wad in the Current River on Sunday.

Now, Missouri game officials will do some detective work to find out what happened.

"Some fishermen yesterday morning spotted the bear stuck in a root wad about 7 or 8 miles below Van Buren," said Mark Wilcoxon, conservation officer with Missouri Department of Conservation.  "I didn't even know if it was going to be a bear. The last three dead-bear calls turned out to be wild hogs."

But this one was definitely a bear.

Wilcoxon said the people who found the bear dragged it to their camp, where game officials decided what to do with it.

"It was a 400-pound male with no visible injuries. It was healthy," Wilcoxon said.  "The river was up about a foot and was moving a lot quicker than normal.  I've seen a  lot of animals that drowned, and I'd be really surprised if it was something else with this bear."

The bear, which was not wearing an MDC tracking collar, will undergo a necropsy on Thursday in Columbia to determine how it died, what it had been eating and possibly where it came from. A DNA sample will help add to MDC's understanding of how Missouri's wild black bears are doing in the state.

MDC has been conducting an ongoing research project on the state's black bears, and their numbers appear to be growing.

Replies

• GardawgGardawg Posts: 7,091 Admiral
    Now I know why they're called The Ozark Mountain Daredevils.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 3,857 Captain
    Well, for pulling that bear out of the river he sure looks clean and dry.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 3,586 Captain

Unless I had a tag, I'm not dragging a 400# bear anywhere.....and if the bear drowned, where did the blood come from?
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway. nj
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 9,873 Admiral
    Odd.  Will be an interesting story to follow.
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 1,796 Captain
    edited June 12 #6

....and if the bear drowned, where did the blood come from?
    The article said "dragged", not "carried".

No doubt the critter bounced around a bit before lodging in the snag.

That entire river system is full of rocks & gravel, including the banks.

Then again, it's possible one of the local-yokels might have tried to harvest the critter and only wounded it. Wouldn't surprise me one little bit. ( Have seen them in remote spots with trucks full of shelled corn for baiting deer & turkeys. )

surfman said:
    Well, for pulling that bear out of the river he sure looks clean and dry.

The river did a good job of cleaning him him up.

Blow-dried for 20 miles in the back of an open truck.

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 1,849 Captain
    Not familiar at all with that part of the USA, but southeast Missouri, the Mark Twain National Forest area especially, now has a small breeding population of Panthers that moved in from the Dakota Black Hills. If the area has suitable habitat for Panthers, then it's highly probable that it would also be ideal Black Bear habitat.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,078 Admiral
    I have some Spare Bears wandering around my Garbage cans weekly...
    Good to see parts of America returning to The Wild.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,016 Captain
    I thought you took care of the trash can problem. Or were you just pissing in the wind? :)
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,078 Admiral
    I SAID Wandering..
    Their fear of an Apex Predator has kept them at bay and cowering in the Palmettos down wind smelling the Cuban Pork and fearing for their lives....winning..
    Be right back...gotta pee again.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 7,091 Admiral
    Just remembered my niece's boyfriend went bear hunting in the Ozarks.  He did kill a bear.

He was also covered head to toe in chigger bites.

He was miserable. Like he said, "****, I just about wish the bear had killed me."
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
    Here's another image of the recently deceased Mr. Bear.

It gives a better perspective of just how large and thick he was.

There should be further word from the Conservation Department next week.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file