Poor sportsmen

CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Posts: 262 Deckhand
This is in support of bluewateryak13 post on 6.11.18 ..check out his video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=26&v=eQpY2D2XQK4

I fished offshore in kayaks before getting my 17' Mckee Craft and still get bullied by the bigger boats who feel I need to get out of their way irrespective of circumstances...and it's not just charters! 

Sometimes I feel like I'm back in India touring on my little motorbike all the while being disregarded and disrespected by anything bigger! Have we become so competitive and uncivilized all in the name of 'sport'...?! 

Evidently there is a growing number of 'poor sports' out there contributing our culture's drift away from its moorings.....

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

Replies

• rivamunstasteverivamunstasteve Posts: 560 Officer
    Just like on the roads... some drivers are maniacs. But the majority aren’t crazy. In other countries driving is MUCH WORSE. Fishing is about the same I’d say. 
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Posts: 262 Deckhand
    edited June 12 #3
    Just like on the roads... some drivers are maniacs. But the majority aren’t crazy. In other countries driving is MUCH WORSE. Fishing is about the same I’d say. 

This is the reason I don't go out Saturdays or Sundays and use extra caution at the inlet choke point ...recently my wife was horrified and WET having a huge boats' wake spill over our port bow near the jetty sign!!! 

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• Steve_raleighSteve_raleigh Posts: 170 Deckhand
    edited June 12 #4

the captain of the lady Pamela 2 posted a rebuttal video on YouTube also 
    https://youtu.be/oc1SJcoTp1Y
  • The ParkerThe Parker Posts: 46 Greenhorn
    I go out on a 45 footer and would never ever imagine pulling up on a spot that another boat is fishing let alone a kayak its hard enough to just get to the spot for them
    Boat size doesn't matter when its simply common curtesy hoefully lessons were learned for the future. Dont know whole story but see it way to often boats anchoring next to boats that have been anchored for hours with no respect lets take some time and be kind to everyone amd hope it rubs off on some
  • rivamunstasteverivamunstasteve Posts: 560 Officer
    Steve Raleigh - thanks for the captains response. 
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Posts: 262 Deckhand
    edited June 13 #7
    the captain of the lady Pamela 2 posted a rebuttal video on YouTube also 
    https://youtu.be/oc1SJcoTp1Y
    Poor attempt at damage control by the P-2 captain ...and that cheap shot about a blue kayaks' visibility just doesn't fly......99% of them have flags and navigation lights...doesn't he avoid turtles who have neither?!

It's not a question of "he said she said" ...the captain was in the wrong so he should suck it up like a real man, admit poor judgement, and stop digging!

Kayakers work hard with legs and lungs to get out there early...I know!  

There are a lot of wrecks out there so why not leave him in peace?

Pamela (who ain't no lady) came late ...she should have moved on to the next wreck ...that's what respect and courtesy would suggest!

* Please read the comments below Pamela2 captain's video and make up your mind....GUILTY as charged according to several other yakers who had similar run-ins with Pamela. What's worse is that many of the negative comments have just disappeared...  was 19 but now only 12...more damage control by Pamela captain.

• Steve_raleighSteve_raleigh Posts: 170 Deckhand
    Costalcatch hope you don’t think I took a side by putting up the link to the other side of the story was just posting it so we could all see and hear both sides right or wrong 

if if you’d like my personal opinion here it is if I where the captain of the lady Pamela I’d be very embarrassed 
    no reason a beautiful boat as the lady Pamela with paying clients onboard should be  competing for space in the Atlantic Ocean with a guy on a kayak 
    I’m sure the guys paying the charter would agree 
  • Ron@.38 SpecialRon@.38 Special Posts: 6,751 Admiral
    So what do you do if you are fishing your bottom spot and the fleet of kyakers drift thru you??

Also, how about a flag guys, I know some use them, but one of these days running early in 4' seas, someones gonna get a kayak caught in their props!

While I saw a pic in the other post of a yak tournament all with flags, that is no the norm off Deerfield.
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 943 Officer
    So what do you do if you are fishing your bottom spot and the fleet of kyakers drift thru you??

Also, how about a flag guys, I know some use them, but one of these days running early in 4' seas, someones gonna get a kayak caught in their props!

While I saw a pic in the other post of a yak tournament all with flags, that is no the norm off Deerfield.
    Very true!... I went bottom fishing on Sunday evening, went out of Hillsboro as the sun had just set and found myself weaving in and out of kayaks with no flags or lights! I always try to give everyone some space , but no lights in the dark is a recipe for disaster!
  • Plan Sea ChartersPlan Sea Charters Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    As long as their wasn't an issue with safety, and by the video I can't see one, artificial reefs are public knowledge and when I do a long drift I don't expect my spot to be waiting for me.
  • Plan Sea ChartersPlan Sea Charters Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    BTW my handle is just a future dream, I'm a licensed captain, but have never taken out a charter in my life. 
  • Yeaaa_ChrisYeaaa_Chris Posts: 538 Officer
    As long as their wasn't an issue with safety, and by the video I can't see one, artificial reefs are public knowledge and when I do a long drift I don't expect my spot to be waiting for me.

This is most likely what happened. He’s doing drifts on the wreck and comes back up for another drift to find the lady Pamela over the wreck. 

Its very easy and common for multiple boats to fish the same wreck around here, just need to get in line and follow the drift. I’d be pissed if a boat decided to mess that up and use his motors to stay right over the wreck while others are trying to drift. 

As for kayakers, it really is just a matter of time before someone gets hurt out there. Large red flags, and a bright colored kayak should be mandatory to operate out there. 
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 539 Officer
    If everyone is drifting then just get in line. If anchored try to exhibit some common courtesy.
  • Ron@.38 SpecialRon@.38 Special Posts: 6,751 Admiral
    What Capt J said!!!
  • savemejebussavemejebus Posts: 57 Greenhorn
    I've never had a problem fishing the same reef as a kayak. They do their drift and we do ours. 

It's the **** dive boats that drive me insane that come up within 20 feet of you, unload a dozen divers, and expect you to pull anchor and move. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file