A Successful Few Weeks. Thursday's (6/7) Late Report

It's been a great few weeks in the Fort Lauderdale/ Pompano area in South florida. I've been doing my best to make it out between strong winds and almost daily thunderstorms. A handful of pictures below from my last handful of outings.
The mahi seemed to have gone out deep, but peanuts were plentiful in 200-300 a couple weeks back. Jumped about a dozen mahi, landed about 8, only two were keepers. 

There's also been a good bottom bite with a nice collection of snappers/grouper.

Lastly, some nice blackfin tuna have been around the 250 mark, with some small but nice kings from 50-200ft. The tuna were a little harder to find on my last trip out on 6/7/18, but the kingfish were thick and the bait of choice was definitely goggle eyes.
And lastly, I'd like to share my incident on the water with the Lady Pamela II fishing charter while fishing off of Commerical Blvd. It's an absolutely shame that there's no fishing manners or respect for kayaker safety on the water. I spoke with both FWC and the coastguard, so I guess we'll see if anything comes of that.

Tight lines and stay safe out there.

Replies

• rivamunstasteverivamunstasteve Posts: 549 Officer
    Nice catches. And brave you are in this weather. 
    I saw your post on Facebook. It would be nice to hear the captains side of the story. Being a victim out there is sad especially in a kayak. everyone sees the ocean differently. Heard the fishing was slower today - could be a desperate move. 
    My grandparents used to dolphin fish out of Islamorada. After a few years a lot of the captains knew their boat and would come up to them from miles away . Fast forward 40 years, I’m on tiny Tim , on a $3000 boat, and I’m a victim. It’s never going away it seems. Too bad you guys can’t have a beer and shake hands- I mean you guys were close enough  :)
  • qotsaautopilotqotsaautopilot Posts: 49 Greenhorn
    I’ve a had a charter boat roll up on me and snag my line in their prop.  Hope he enjoyed the spoil of braid he ended up with.  On the west coast durning tarpon season they will roll right up on you but if you do the same to them you get an earful.  It’s always “I’m workin here”.  It seems more and more charter captains just have a chip on their shoulder and a bad attitude like they own the ocean. They clearly don’t enjoy the line of work they’ve chosen.
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,322 Officer
    Way to go.
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Posts: 243 Deckhand
    edited June 12 #5
    I’ve a had a charter boat roll up on me and snag my line in their prop.  Hope he enjoyed the spoil of braid he ended up with.  On the west coast durning tarpon season they will roll right up on you but if you do the same to them you get an earful.  It’s always “I’m workin here”.  It seems more and more charter captains just have a chip on their shoulder and a bad attitude like they own the ocean. They clearly don’t enjoy the line of work they’ve chosen.
    You are 100% correct...I fished offshore in kayaks before getting my 17' Mckee Craft and still get bullied by the bigger boats who feel I need to get out of their way irrespective of circumstances...and it's not just charters!

Sometimes I feel like I'm back in India touring on my little motorbike all the while being disregarded and disrespected by anything bigger! Have we become that uncivilized all in the name of 'sport'...?!  :'( 

Evidently there is a growing number of 'poor sports' out there which is evidence of our coarse culture drifting away from its moorings.....

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file