HSB rough did’nt make it to the fishing grounds

boy was it rough, headed out and when we were about 4 miles had to turn around due to a crew member was done, i talked to my buddy he said he only caught 2 keepers were on sat he says it was loaded, oh well next time i guess

Replies

• Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,143 Captain
    We got killed also. Both of my anglers were seasick and I wasn't feeling so hot myself. Not a very strong wind but right from the west so we took the tight 2 footers on the nose all the way out. 

We pulled up short of our original destination and did lousy. Just a couple short gags and reds. We wasted 45 minutes fighting a huge bull shark. I couldn't break the 80 lb braid and 100 lb leader so we cut the line after getting a look at him.

Got boarded by FWC with a storm bearing down on us with water spouts and the whole works. They wouldn't hurry up, but we just beat in running back in.

Trying again tomorrow with Captn. Louis coming alone. I hope that it isn't as rough and the snapper that we have been releasing by the dozens are back where they belong and are cooperative. 
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 818 Officer
    doc when we got back to the ramp there was also a fwc parked there and had a big trailer so we figured he was offshore, hopefully tomorrow will be good for you
  • nicknick Posts: 4,455 Captain
    It was rough..too rough for my 23’ bay boat. I was doing 14 on the way out running full tab. 
  • PicmanPicman Posts: 43 Greenhorn
    I had to stop in 35 ft to take a break and as soon as i hit the# a 38inch to fork cobe showed up,Dropped anchor and finally caught him and a couple dozen shorts before doing the last 18 miles.. Hit the spot dropped anchor and proceeded to limit on ARS...Took a whole half hour.. We were also boarded by fwc just as a bait pod with something terrorizing it was about a hundred feet behind us..GRR... That turned the fishing off completely... Went Gag hunting to no avail and ran in in the nastiness of three different storms...
    at about 12:00 there was a storm out there over 5 miles wide
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,025 Officer
    I'm curious, what could the FWC be checking when they could be checking for the same issues (I guess issues)  a lot closer while someone is returning? 
  • lbudlbud Posts: 1,010 Officer
    I told them to save our money and camp at the ramps,,
    Live while You're breathing! It's Your only chance.....:grin
  • lbudlbud Posts: 1,010 Officer
    They really kinda pissed Me off..
    Live while You're breathing! It's Your only chance.....:grin
  • Almost PerfectAlmost Perfect Posts: 483 Deckhand
    FWC got us as soon as we entered the Homosassa channel. I had my son and father in law with me. Since they also pulled Lee any ya'll over also maybe having old people in the boat is suspicious
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy
  • waterdipperwaterdipper Posts: 41 Greenhorn
    With all the FWC stops, my guess is the state needs to "Prove" to the feds they can manage and enforce the red snapper fishery in Florida. I for one hope they are successful at it and they are able to continue to manage the fishery and not let the feds stick it to us like usual. If they stop me then I will gladly let them go over my stuff in order to help them show the feds they can handle this. The season isn't as long as it should be and the limit is still too low, but they are hopefully taking baby steps to fix what has been a mismanaged fishery for years now.
  • nicknick Posts: 4,455 Captain
    I’ve gotten pulled 3 times in the past week. 

Prior or to that I’ve been pulled once in 3 years. 
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,143 Captain
    edited June 13 #13
    Yeah, I think that the extra enforcement is part of the agreement between the Feds and the Gulf States regarding red snapper management. We got stopped again today, which makes 3 trips in a row. I asked them if we could pull into Riverhaven rather than clog up the channel and they agreed. Louie thought we had made a mistake and kept 9 snapper instead of 8, so he left one in the fish box when he put them out on the deck. I KNEW they were going to check all the fish boxes. But luckily, Louie didn't count right and we were OK.  :dizzy:

Much better weather today and better fishing as well.
    glad to hear doc that u guys had better weather, this weather sucks 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file