6/10/2018 Jupiter - BFT, Kings, Mahi

Hit the water early yesterday, Matt hooked us up with a bunch of pilchards, ran out to the ledge. First stop was in 120 or so, nice weed/rip, fish busting everywhere.  For about the next hour or two we weeded through bruiser bonitas and the sharks got fed plenty.  At one point we see this freaking enormous weedline (more like a football field) in 220.  Move out there and it was DEAD.  Not a thing on it.  130-170 was the magic number.  Mike had on another fish we were sure was another bonita.  I was lazily sitting there with the gaff trying to figure out if we were just going to pop it off or actually stick it...when we realize its Sashimi!   Nice BFT in the boat.  Put 2 kings in the boat as well, then we decided to go long and look for mahi.  Out in 650-850 we found a little rip, not much really just a color change and slick.  Trolled up and down it for a little slinger mahi, one was too short and we let him go grow, another decent one hit my squid chain on the wrong one without the hook.  Moved out past 1000 and there were some beautiful weedlines but no life on them.  Ended the day with some groceries and the seared blackfin was good!

Fisherman, outdoors enthusiast, and software geek (not necessarily in that order, depending on the day)
www.makologic.com
patrick@makologic.com

Formerly TxToFl...

Replies

• deputyjrp55deputyjrp55 Posts: 31 Greenhorn
    "First stop was in 120 or so, nice weed/rip, fish busting everywhere.  For about the next hour or two we weeded through bruiser bonitas and the sharks got fed plenty."

Trolling? Bottom? 
  • MakoLogicMakoLogic Posts: 594 Officer
    all live baits freelined on top and some with 2 or 3 oz of lead...
    Fisherman, outdoors enthusiast, and software geek (not necessarily in that order, depending on the day)
    www.makologic.com
    patrick@makologic.com

Formerly TxToFl...
    Thanks! very helpful...  Can you direct me to a good site, so I can learn how to do a free lined setup and with lead?
  • MakoLogicMakoLogic Posts: 594 Officer

this is how I do it.  I have a snap swivel, tie a perfection loop in one end of 40-50lb flouro, other end to a wire trace to circle/j hook.  If I'm freelining, that's it.  If I want to add some weight, I just loop a rubber band over the main line above the swivel with the bank sinker.  Pretty simple, easy to attach/take off in a hurry.  The trick i've learned, especially if using braid for the main line, is use the thin bands, not thick rubber bands.  The thick ones tend to twist and tie up your main line, and braid will cut pretty easily if its twisted around a big band.
    www.makologic.com
    patrick@makologic.com

Formerly TxToFl...
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,370 Captain
    Tax man got his share. Still good day, nice catch

Pura Vida!
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 298 Deckhand
    Nice post....hope you enjoyed the BFT.
    MakoLogic said:

this is how I do it.  I have a snap swivel, tie a perfection loop in one end of 40-50lb flouro, other end to a wire trace to circle/j hook.  If I'm freelining, that's it.  If I want to add some weight, I just loop a rubber band over the main line above the swivel with the bank sinker.  Pretty simple, easy to attach/take off in a hurry.  The trick i've learned, especially if using braid for the main line, is use the thin bands, not thick rubber bands.  The thick ones tend to twist and tie up your main line, and braid will cut pretty easily if its twisted around a big band.
    Thanks for the lesson !
  • CudaJuiceCudaJuice Hobe SoundPosts: 21 Greenhorn
    Nice mixed bag! 
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Posts: 243 Deckhand
    Ditto ..."Thanks for the lesson"

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• K-DawgK-Dawg Posts: 144 Deckhand
    Nice tuna

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file