Different than last year.........

bswivbswiv Posts: 6,869 Admiral
While the woods are as wet, if not maybe a little wetter now than they were last year at this time it seems that the manner in which we've gotten the rain, more of a weekly wetting down sense Irma passed last year, has lead to a better turkey polt survival. Last year it was very dray and then just as they were hatching out we got 9-12 inches in no time.......

Whereas we saw hardly the first young one last summer/fall, so far this season lots of success. Latest viewing was on Friday when I drove up on 2 hens with 14 little guys, all the size of bantams already. And of course able to fly, which speaks well for some of their chances to survive.

Replies

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 1,850 Captain
    Watched two hens and 15+ 1/4th grown chicks walk through the yard to the garden a couple of hours ago. I see them every few days. They are secure here, and I think the hens know this. Heavy rains just at hatch time is a "given" in reduced population density. But the birds recover---"Nature Abhors A Vacuum"!  Good friend of mine, Joe Hutto, wrote an excellent book on Eastern Turkeys several years ago----"Illumination In The Flatwoods". You would probably like reading it. 
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 1,294 Officer
    edited June 10 #3
    Im not as optimistic in my area and have been wondering about how Poults and nests are doing in the flooding we have been having.  East of Lake Okeechobee has gone from bone dry at end of April to over flooded now.  I have standing water around my house that I usually don't get until July/August.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 6,869 Admiral
    Watched two hens and 15+ 1/4th grown chicks walk through the yard to the garden a couple of hours ago. I see them every few days. They are secure here, and I think the hens know this. Heavy rains just at hatch time is a "given" in reduced population density. But the birds recover---"Nature Abhors A Vacuum"!  Good friend of mine, Joe Hutto, wrote an excellent book on Eastern Turkeys several years ago----"Illumination In The Flatwoods". You would probably like reading it. 
    Same guy who did "My Life As A Turkey"...??? Which was very interesting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file