Red tide Placida

just FYI, red tide is bad in Placida/ Gasparilla sound. Was out this morning and lasted 30 minutes and headed back to dock. 

Replies

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,637 Captain
    Yeah, noticed it between Gasparilla Pass and Stump Pass off the beach last weekend.  Big fish kill.  Too bad.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • DES51DES51 Posts: 63 Greenhorn
    Plenty of dead fish along the beach at Boca Grande. Raises hell with the respiratory system too!  
  • Reel seriousReel serious Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    I ran from Boca Grande pass to casperson beach Friday and saw dead fish and smelled red tide 

The fish kill is not bad but it’s still red tide
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,629 Captain
    Lots of dead fish yesterday in southern Gasparilla Sound from Cayo Palau to Whiddons 
  • cracker4112cracker4112 Posts: 613 Officer
    Dead fish have gotten all the way down south of captiva pass now.  Didn’t kill the bait running around so I think it’s the dead fish and not the actual red tide down there yet but who knows.
  • sixstring09sixstring09 Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Red tide very bad in Venice ICW. Water looks like coffee with dead fish. Fools at snake island swimming in it. LOL  
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin Posts: 494 Deckhand
    In Siesta Key, bad fish kill up here, along with eels, smells bad, lots of coughing and sneezing. Seen a few tarpon roll but none of the 10 charted boats have hooked up. Still catching pins and blue runners on sabiki, but not seeing the schools of bait fish running the beach. Only seen a couple of snook cruising the shore. Saw lots of sheepshead along POR, nothing today. 
  • Firetruck1Firetruck1 Posts: 102 Deckhand
    Yea, came in yesterday through Venice and red tide was awful. I saw bunch of folks swimming in it on that island across from the crows nest..... I'm assuming that's snake island.
  • DfreedomDfreedom Posts: 75 Greenhorn
    Definitely not what I want to hear.  Bringing a boat and several kayaks down in about a week.  My sons are super-charged about fishing down there.
    Went to Lido Key today and only saw a few dead fish on shore. Waded around POR and saw several schools of small minnows, possibly glass minnows and a few snook. Caught a small Spanish and 2 lady’s on Lido.  

Wife is following  Facebook posts and said they are starting to see it at Longboat Key now too
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 1,722 Captain
    No question, there are patches of red tide in the Gulf.
    It's dependent on the wind, off shore, no problem.
    Came back from Lido and Siesta Key has cleaned up a lot...not to say it won’t return but the number of dead fish in the surf was greatly diminished. Gonna try and evening trip out on the yak to see if any tarpon come through. 
  • WorldOnFlyWorldOnFly Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Saw a really bad video of the damage last night. Boca was littered with dead redfish, big snook, gags, mangroves the list goes on and on
    Well today started out promising, tarpon rolled 20yds from yak with a pin fish out under a float...nada. Saw a total of 10-12, clump of 5 daisy chaining heading south..not interested. Did hook 2 decent size Spanish on a glass minnow jig, released due to red tide. 

Thought it was gonna be a good beach day. WRONG!  High noon, west winds, here come the dead pin fish, catfish, pompano (1), eels, and croakers. Almost a repeat of Monday. Come on East winds!!!
    Yeah, just looked at the wind forecast and not a consistent east wind till next Monday 😡

• Frank SFrank S Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Was out Monday, 11th, anchored about a mile or so inside Boca, trying for a shark or two. Strong incoming, steady line of dead fish floating by. tons of grass also. Water temp was up to 88-89 by the time we moved. Spot has produced well in past, 15-16', but did not see any bait, very few marks on graph, even with side scan. No bites. Moved to bar outside of Pirate, water looked better, caught a few small sharks. Any suggestions for water temps like this? We came from above the bridges, water like root beer most of the way. 
  • gatorgrad5gatorgrad5 Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    I have a trip planned for the end of this month to go down to placida to snook fish for the weekend. Anyone know how long the red tide usually lasts and how bad it will effect the fishing?
    Follow the Mote Aquarium beach conditions report. It’s was bad again in Siesta Key and it’s starting in Lido Key. Hopefully there will be some more consistent easterly winds to blow it offshore again or the water temps get to high and kills it.
    no one knows how long it will last, but I can tell you it’s not good for the fishing. Even the birds won’t eat the dead fish, just their eyeballs 🤢🤮
  • Firetruck1Firetruck1 Posts: 102 Deckhand
    I fished gasparilla sound/three sisters area Friday and the water was crystal clear. Lots of trout, Spanish, lady fish, etc. fished shrimp under popping cork and threw gold spoons.... Pretty much non stop action all morning and early afternoon. High tailed it out of there around 12:45 before the storms rolled in.
    We had a super dry season this winter that was followed by a deluge of rain in May.
    Over 15 inches in Englewood.
    Red Tide seems to follow all this runoff.
    It's not a result of discharges from Lake O that brings brown water to the beaches, although we need to think about bringing back the natural flow of water from the lake southward.
    Jim 

• flyjuiceflyjuice Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Scoutboat you are correct. There is a lot of local misinformation that this recent bit of red tide and brown water is from Lake O, but that is not the case. Dry winter + sudden high quantity of rain = no bueno. Accumulated pesticide and fertilizer run off will do it. With the steady west winds the previous week it got a little nasty, but seems to have a lifted. Lots of living fish and no signs of red tide in and outside most of the backcountry. 
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 52 Greenhorn
    Wink news and the other local media want to place this solely on the Lake O releases. It is much more than that. My neighborhood on the Peace River got 20 inches of rain in a week . That much rain will turn any river dark. Wink wants to trot out tourists and senior citizens and get them to **** and moan about the Lake O releases. 

Frank S said:
    Was out Monday, 11th, anchored about a mile or so inside Boca, trying for a shark or two. Strong incoming, steady line of dead fish floating by. tons of grass also. Water temp was up to 88-89 by the time we moved. Spot has produced well in past, 15-16', but did not see any bait, very few marks on graph, even with side scan. No bites. Moved to bar outside of Pirate, water looked better, caught a few small sharks. Any suggestions for water temps like this? We came from above the bridges, water like root beer most of the way. 
    Frank,
    We've had some unusually warm weather this month, so the water temps may be a little high.
    As far a the water color: We've had a lot of rain, so the water is stained with tannin from the flow of the Myakka and the Peace Rivers.
    This color has nothing to do with the releases from Lake O.
    Jim
  • John WJohn W Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    Any red tide updates?  I'm heading to Boca Grande on Saturday for a week.  I've been following the Mote beach report, it was trending in the right direction until today's report...it said "moderate" respiratory conditions with heavy dose of dead fish.  Any first hand updates on Red Tide from Stump Pass to Captiva?
  • flyjuiceflyjuice Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    edited 1:26AM #27
    Red tide seemed to be moving north. Boca backcountry has been clean the past few days. It's reported the placida trestle is full of dead fish though. 
  • IjigIjig Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    John W said:
    Any red tide updates?  I'm heading to Boca Grande on Saturday for a week.  I've been following the Mote beach report, it was trending in the right direction until today's report...it said "moderate" respiratory conditions with heavy dose of dead fish.  Any first hand updates on Red Tide from Stump Pass to Captiva?
    Tons of dead fish from Boca pass to causeway bridge. But water has cleared up considerably since Saturday, think the west wind pushed a lot of them onto the beach. 
    Just looked at the Mote report...Looks like it ranges from the southern tip of Boca up to Longboat Key.  According to the report, Captiva is clear as is Anna Marie, which will give you the southern and northern boundary areas.  Good luck, hopefully it will clear up more before you get there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file