6/2 & 6/3 Swordfishing attempt and a a solo evening

My buddy Mike got his swordfish gear all set up this week and we set out on Saturday to find a daytime swordfish.  Hit it early out of Jupiter, trolled for wahoo early but didn't pick anything up.  Made a few stops on the way to the sword grounds with nothing to show. Got set up out there in the deep, first drop we get tight in about 15 minutes.  Totally stoked, the fish is pulling hard, makes several runs back to bottom. Starting to worry about the LP reel giving up the ghost.  40 minutes later we see color, pretty excited as a big fish appears.  Then we realize it looks weird.  Why is its sword so floppy? Well, thats because its a damned thresher shark hooked by the tail. ****! I pulled it up by the tail (he was not happy about that) and got him unhooked and sent him back to the deep.

On our second set we didnt' get any hits on bottom, but our top bait goes off, mahi goes ariel, but didn't stick.  ****, strike 2.  Third set we go to an area with some more bottom structure, and proceed to get hung up on bottom.  Trying to get it unstuck, the line angles a bit, chafes on the edge of the roller, and "poof" say goodbye to $450 in braided line, windon leader, lead, 2 disco lights, etc.  Strike 3 and no more sword fishing for the day.  We will be back to figure it out.  Might have to get a side job to support a swordfishing habit though.

We fished with live pilchards and trolled around out in the 1700-1200 foot range but didn't really see or find anything.  the few weeds out there were empty.  Came in and fished out front of Jupiter.  Bonita city, lots of sharks, several ufo's on the bottom that could have been good fish but who knows.  Tough day, got beat a little on the sword thing but we'll be back at it.

Sunday I did a late solo run out of Jupiter just to kill some time and run my boat.  The bait rocks are full of small amberjacks that were fun to play with on light tackle.  Good spot if you want to get your kids on some rod benders, they fight like crazy.  Out in the 130 foot range the kings were going off, but only saw them hitting live bait.  I didn't have any, my dead baits didn't get touched. Oh well.  
Fisherman, outdoors enthusiast, and software geek (not necessarily in that order, depending on the day)
www.makologic.com
patrick@makologic.com

Formerly TxToFl...

Replies

• Dustin BoyntonDustin Boynton Boynton beachPosts: 322 Deckhand
    Better luck next time. If it was easy everyone would do it 
  • watergatorwatergator Fort Pierce Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Threshers will often use their long tail to stun prey similar to how billfish use their bills, so thats probably how you hooked it that way. I know some people dont like to kill sharks, but threshers eat really well with meat similar to a mako. Theres the risk of high mercury, but thats probably not a huge concern if you were chasing swords anyhow. 
  • MakoLogicMakoLogic Posts: 593 Officer
    ya we didn't know they were good eating until we did some research later.  Honestly not sure if it was a big eye or common thresher, never got its head out of the water.  Pretty cool how they whip their prey with the tail too.  It had to have been as long as its body.  
    Fisherman, outdoors enthusiast, and software geek (not necessarily in that order, depending on the day)
    www.makologic.com
    patrick@makologic.com

Formerly TxToFl...
  • FinalPointFinalPoint Posts: 59 Greenhorn
    That is a bigeye thresher. Protected in state waters, but I don't know about federal waters. I have caught a handful and always let them go. 
    I looked them up but couldn't see how I could tell the difference from the pics. Like I said, out there I didn't get his head out of the water to see his eye.  Is it just the color you are looking at? Looks like common threshers are more bronze and bigeyes more blue/gray?  I'm not really one to keep/eat any sharks but its good to know what I'm looking at.
    www.makologic.com
    patrick@makologic.com

Formerly TxToFl...
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,369 Captain
    Nice going Patrick on your first attempt at daytiming. You had to be stoked with a bent rod the first time. To quote RJ Boyle: "Swordfishing is very expensive" -
    I've been out swordfishing a couple times. It gets tough looking at that rod tip for hours on end. Havne't been hooked up yet, but my day is coming.
    I'm not promoting anyone per se, but I will say that RJ Boyle has some great videos if you sign up as a 'crew member' on his website. There's a wealth of information there and will save you a lot of time in the learning curve.
    Nice report btw!

Pura Vida!
    Rj has a ton of good info, your right. I watched a few of them on how to detect the bite.  We knew something was on with the shark because the line went slack.  
    www.makologic.com
    patrick@makologic.com

Formerly TxToFl...
  • DrTredDrTred Posts: 31 Greenhorn
    edited June 12 #9
    Went daytime swordfish  4 weeks ago  

Long story short we spent the entire day deep dropping with LP 1200 straight out 1200 - 1300 ft..Palm Beach to Ft Pierce  Drifted 20 miles 

He/WE caught 5 swordfish all well over the minimum with the second fish weighing over 400 lbs. It was fantastic. I learned so much. Yes there is a fantastic swordfishery right here in S Fla no need to travel south. 

Since my trip I have been going weather permitting in my own boat. No hookups yet but after my experience I know what I am doing and it will only be  matter of time until  I hook one myself.  

I hope this post motivates you new guys out there.  It is 100% truthful. Sorry I cant give more details...I promised the captain I would not divulge much about his techniques.. But get a LARGE HARPOON! He saved the 400 lb fish because he knew how to use the harpoon!     
    edited June 9 #10
    DrTred said:

He/WE caught 5 swordfish all well over the minimum with the second fish weighing over 400 lbs. It was fantastic. I learned so much. Yes there is a fantastic swordfishery right here in S Fla no need to travel south. 

I hope this post motivates you new guys out there.   
    Dr.T.
    Seeing your post IS motivation! Thanks for a great report. 
    I'd do the same thing you did if I knew a commercial guy that would take me on as an observer.  I remember someone saying: start shallow and work deeper as you do more drifts. 1200-1300 was NOT the numbers I was told, but it's nice to know where you started your drifts.  I've fished at BeerMans numbers, and also South off PE at the 40 line or thereabouts. 
    I'm waiting for the right days to head out and try some more.  Need to get my own **** before I head back out.
    I go deep dropping for tiles (solo) but don't want to be solo when daytiming for swords. There are experienced guys that do it, but it's risky.  So, if anyone finds themselves in need of another deckhand, feel free to reach out. I can usually go on a moments notice.
    Thanks again for a great post... 

Pura Vida!
  • DrTredDrTred Posts: 31 Greenhorn
    Flight Risk where is your home port? look me up on internet...there is only one Dr Tred in Stuart send me contact info.  Maybe we can connect... 
  • johnalkijohnalki Posts: 491 Deckhand
    there's lot of structure in the sword grounds off Jupiter. I know the feeling of having a brand new spool of braid down @ 1650 feet and a few more for scope and loosing it all in a snap!!!!
    A Homeport Chart #48 really helped me out
    edited June 11 #13
    DrTred said:
    Flight Risk where is your home port? look me up on internet...there is only one Dr Tred in Stuart send me contact info.  Maybe we can connect... 
    johnalki said:
    there's lot of structure in the sword grounds off Jupiter. I know the feeling of having a brand new spool of braid down @ 1650 feet and a few more for scope and loosing it all in a snap!!!!
    A Homeport Chart #48 really helped me out
    Dr. Tred   - Thanks!, will look you up for sure.  (I fish out of LWI), but will surely head up to your neck of the woods. Really like SLI.  Also, been out with Johnalki one of those times I mentioned. He's a great fisherman.

Johnalki - Hi John, been too long, need to catch up with you again, will give you a buzz this week.

Yes, I know that awful feeling of losing your whole rig to the bottom. It's happened to me  3 times. But, I make my own wind-ons, and rig my own baits, so it lessens the money hit.

Pura Vida!
    wow he has them dialed in for sure!  
    www.makologic.com
    patrick@makologic.com

Formerly TxToFl...
  • FinalPointFinalPoint Posts: 59 Greenhorn
    MakoLogic said:
    I looked them up but couldn't see how I could tell the difference from the pics. Like I said, out there I didn't get his head out of the water to see his eye.  Is it just the color you are looking at? Looks like common threshers are more bronze and bigeyes more blue/gray?  I'm not really one to keep/eat any sharks but its good to know what I'm looking at.
    Sorry I hadn't been monitoring the thread. I honestly can't tell 100%, but all of the threshers caught down here daytime swording are bigeyes. I'm not sure if I ever heard of a common caught daytiming. The charter boats that shark fish occasionally get a common on surface and midwater baits. Also, the body shape and color matches bigeye. At that size a common would have heftier shoulders. I've caught 5 threshers, all bigeye. 4 were daytime and all hooked in tail (3 while swording over here, 1 was in Bahamas dropping for queens) and 1 was swordfishing at night and hooked in mouth (during a tournament...not fun).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file