Opening day gag season Friday 6-1-1980 - Mission accomplished

Barbara, Lee, Spot and I headed offshore at 7:00 to find beautiful weather, calm seas, and hungry fish. We started by trolling in 35 foot and put two in the boat right away. We made a few more passes but had no takers. We decided since the conditions were so nice that we would run to 65 foot and work our way back in. First stop in 65' and we put 4 more gags in the box to fill our limit by 11:00. We had to fight off the pesky ARS to get our baits down to the bottom. We decided to scout out another spot on the way back and found more willing gags and big 10lb+ ars. We made a few trolling passes on a wreck to try for a king or two but only hooked up a monster gag that came unbuttoned at the boat. Back at the house by 3:30. These are the kind of days that make you keep going offshore.

Seas were 1 foot or less, temps 84-85 moderate current and 40+ foot of visibility out in 60 fsw.

Replies

• Proline2357Proline2357 Posts: 45 Greenhorn
    Did you even see a Red Grouper? Nice catch!
  • butchbalbutchbal Posts: 404 Deckhand
    Did you even see a Red Grouper? Nice catch!
    Quite a few red grouper, but all in the 12" to 15" range. Nothing close to keeper.
  • Almost PerfectAlmost Perfect Posts: 483 Deckhand
    Nice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy
  • jamer 222jamer 222 Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    where was y'all fishing out of stienhattchee or cedar key  and are y'all able to them red snappers them are some nice grouper
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 821 Officer
    Well done!

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,818 Captain
    I would say your "Mission " was completely done right. Looks like a happy crew you have there!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,025 Officer
    nice
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 818 Officer
    nice catch 
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,521 Captain
    Nicely done crew......
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • lbudlbud Posts: 1,010 Officer
    Killing!! it
    Live while You're breathing! It's Your only chance.....:grin
  • barhopper51barhopper51 Posts: 515 Officer
    Can't wait for my health to get better. This is the whole reason I moved over here. Well done, Butch!
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,294 Moderator
    That's awesome. Really nice trip.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • winshimawinshima Posts: 121 Deckhand
    Sounds like it was a good day!
  • Top ContenderTop Contender Posts: 565 Officer
    Solid trip Butch. Question for you, I haven’t trolled for grouper in years and even then it was very limited, have you had problems with snapper trolling? I know there’s a bunch in 40-50’ and I have not been fishing in there lately, have you had trouble with them on spots that are covered up on the troll?
  • lbudlbud Posts: 1,010 Officer
    I’m not Butch but I found My best snapper spot a couple of years ago trolling..
    Live while You're breathing! It's Your only chance.....:grin
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,143 Captain
    Most trolling around here is done in 40 ft or less where there aren't many red snapper. We've caught a few when trolling in 50+ ft, but catching them on plugs running 25-30' down at those depths is not common. But if they are stacked up off the bottom, they'll hit anything that goes by. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,981 Admiral
    Days you dream about. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • butchbalbutchbal Posts: 404 Deckhand
    Solid trip Butch. Question for you, I haven’t trolled for grouper in years and even then it was very limited, have you had problems with snapper trolling? I know there’s a bunch in 40-50’ and I have not been fishing in there lately, have you had trouble with them on spots that are covered up on the troll?
    Chris, like Doc said we have picked up 3 or 4 in the last 2 years while trolling.  Not enough to be a problem if you are targeting grouper. What's interesting is we have been trolling 30 foot divers in 50 to 60' and picking up gags that are working the middle of the water column where the ARS are hanging out too. It's almost like clockwork to run over a good show on the fishfinder and then wait for the plugs to pass over and get hit. Like "hey guys good show on the screen, get ready", then 10 seconds later BANG! Tons-o-fun.

• Top ContenderTop Contender Posts: 565 Officer
    Good to know, I’ve been wondering about it. 
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,240 Captain
    Good job
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 821 Officer
    butchbal said:
    Chris, like Doc said we have picked up 3 or 4 in the last 2 years while trolling.  Not enough to be a problem if you are targeting grouper. What's interesting is we have been trolling 30 foot divers in 50 to 60' and picking up gags that are working the middle of the water column where the ARS are hanging out too. It's almost like clockwork to run over a good show on the fishfinder and then wait for the plugs to pass over and get hit. Like "hey guys good show on the screen, get ready", then 10 seconds later BANG! Tons-o-fun.

A pin rigged Ballyhoo slow trolled on a downrigger will get them out deeper.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,376 Officer
    Wow, what a thread! 

Will the grouper and snapper hit a drone spoon trolled in 65 ft. on a downrigger?
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,143 Captain
    They sure will! I used to downrigger fish a lot back in the day. Gags will come up for drones. You can even catch red grouper downrigger trolling with curly tailed jigs if you can get your speed down to less than 3 mph. 
  • cthurowcthurow Withlacoochee to Cedar KeyPosts: 503 Officer
    Well done folks!! 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file