Elliot Key, slow day

xeniaxenia Posts: 168 Deckhand
I promised my daughter I'd take her dolphin fishing during her summer break from college, and today the weather forecast seemed perfect.  But, instead of the forecast light south wind we started off with a light north wind.  I hate north wind.  Didn't get to the edge till around 9:00.  Started by trolling the edge in hopes of a sashimi blackfin - nada.  Headed offshore with a five line spread and got all the way to 2500' with nothing.  Only dolphin we saw were of the mammalian kind, but she really enjoyed seeing them playing in our wake.  No birds anywhere, which is really odd for June.  Talk on the radio was pretty sad, with everyone telling of slow fishing.  Trolled back in and tried a deep drop spot.  Current seemed strong.  First two drops we went past the spot before hitting bottom.  Set up a little better and dropped right on the spot but hung bottom and lost the entire rig.  Rigged again and hung bottom again, but this time it came loose with a snowy on the line. My daughter's favorite eating fish is yellowtail so we went in to the reef.  Got 20 yellowtail pretty quickly and a bunch of ballyhoo in 50'.  We then tried to anchor in 130' but when the anchor got hold it was as if I had the engines at 1500 RPM in reverse.   Way too much current.  Anchored in 100' and current was still strong, but could hold bottom.  Got a 15" mutton.  Sucks.  Decided to troll back towards Pacific Light with a couple of lures in hopes of that elusive tuna, but got 4 mahi instead in 300'.  Tough day, but like my friend says, nothing broke, nobody got hurt, fish are optional.  Best of all my daughter had a great time and she made fish tacos when we got home which were great.

Replies

• The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,126 Officer
    Amazing !
    Giimoozaabi
  • sigiiligansigiiligan Posts: 77 Greenhorn
    I'd call that a fine day of fishing! Congrats.
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,322 Officer
    Nice catch and pics.
  • The ParkerThe Parker Posts: 39 Greenhorn
    Hey you caught some thats better than nothing
    And the time with your daughter priceless
  • xeniaxenia Posts: 168 Deckhand
    Parker: that is so true.
  • 101grunts101grunts Posts: 65 Greenhorn
    Agree on the sloooow day  i went out to 1400' got three hits  total only one went in the cooler, but most people came to the ramp empty handed but after six weeks staying on dry land was a great day.
  • rivamunstasteverivamunstasteve Posts: 549 Officer
    Nice post 
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,370 Captain
    Nice catch and pics.

X-2!

Pura Vida!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file