Barge Canal

Moving to Dunellon in the next couple weeks.  Anyone launch from barge canal? if so how do you like it compaired to Public ramp CR?
How far of a travel to fishable water? just any info you could give me would be great.  I have two boats both draw very little water/txs

Replies

• ShoalSlayer79ShoalSlayer79 Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    I use the barge canal fairly regular. Its about 3.5-4 miles out to the end but not bad. The ramp is in a cove and tides and winds dont have much affect on launch. It can get busy but theres plenty of parking. Extreme low tides will sometimes prevent launching all together but ive only experienced that once out of 40-50 times roughly. 
  • nicknick Posts: 4,455 Captain
    Bring a camera. 

That ramp is a moron magnet. Always some free entertainment!
  • HARRYDHARRYD Posts: 161 Deckhand
    How do you get to that "ramp in a cove" ?
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,415 Admiral
    swing east off 19 at the trailer park, drive north then bear east again.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • HARRYDHARRYD Posts: 161 Deckhand
    Thanks A#1

• 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 765 Officer
    Know how to handle your trailer and launch your boat.
    Enjoyed a few sunrises from my bumper, watching people that did not.
    Politely of course.
    I know, same story every ramp. This one may take the cake though.
    No! It does, it really does.
    Vilano out east is a distant 2nd, and oh the things I have seen there.
    Luckily I have a good sense of humor and kids now.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,082 Admiral
    I've never fished it...never will but I drive over it a lot and always think..Winter them fish should be stacked up in there...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,294 Moderator
    edited June 2 #9
    I've never fished it...never will but I drive over it a lot and always think..Winter them fish should be stacked up in there...

It can be at times. It actually is pretty fishy.Had some memorable catches in the ditch over the years.

"You'll get your weather"
  • Bud in FlaBud in Fla Posts: 36 Greenhorn
    I've put in there a few times and it's an easy run to the Gulf. I had a friend with me that was familiar with the layout - it's unusual to say the least. If you can, ride by there without a boat and look before you go in blind. If you turn around at the bottom of the hill it's easy back. If traffic has decided to turn around at the top of the hill it's backing down and around a turn to get to the landing. I've seen both happen there. 

Keep a sense of humor there.....

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,415 Admiral
    they are when it's cold, now that we have snook, turn right while boating east and fish the docks on the old river course during the cooler months, take a shotgun/buckshot in case of a hog or deer below the mean highwater line, in season of course!

That island in the middle has produced some fine bucks thruout the years.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • jhedgjhedg Posts: 48 Greenhorn
    is that legal to have a shotgun on board the boat
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,294 Moderator
    jhedg said:
    is that legal to have a shotgun on board the boat
    Yes. Can't shoot while under power.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 889 Officer
      Never had a lot of issues launching early. Since it’s one lane, loading up in the afternoon is slow, you get a few amateurs and the line really backs up. Then there’s always someone that wants to launch with half a dozen boats loading up. It’s still not near as bad as the Crystal river ramps during scallop season on weekends. 
      Another option is yankeetown marina on the withlacoochee. Much more organized. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file