Don't Buy St Croix

Had a St Croix Tidemaster come apart below the reel seat on a hard strike while in the rod holder. Called customer service and was told that even though the rod was registered there was no warranty due to the numbers not being available. Not only did I lose the rod, but a brand new Stradic 5000 as well! I offered to send them the butt section for inspection but they declined sticking to their policy of no numbers, no rod. I wouldn't waste my money on their merchandise with this kind of support. There are too many rod builders out there that stand behind their rods.

Replies

• Another Day at The DockAnother Day at The Dock Posts: 125 Deckhand
    If that happened to a custom rod builder's product they would s h i t   themselves and immediately replace it to not ruin their name. Large companies like st croix do not care if you are satisfied lol
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,225 Captain
    If that happened to a custom rod builder's product they would s h i t   themselves and immediately replace it to not ruin their name. Large companies like st croix do not care if you are satisfied lol
     No they wouldn't. Not a single one. I'd even go far as to say most would laugh at you for even suggesting such a thing. No manufacturer would honor a warranty on something like that, and they're absolutely right not to. Good luck with your crusade.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,831 Captain
    Ol'Dirty is right on the money...  I don't know of any manufacturer that will replace a rod if all that is left is "what's below the reel seat"... Maybe, just maybe some store might if you find a particularly new employee - but they'll end up stuck with it since the manufacturer won't be stepping up at all... 

By the way I've been building rods for many years (since 1971) - the portion described in the original post is the absolute strongest portion of any rod and I figure there might be a bit more to this story... Years ago I built a nice rod for someone's birthday then got it right back missing the last four inches at the tip... yep, another ceiling fan eats rod story...  I did build the guy another rod (for free) since he was a friend - but stuff like that eventually got me to quit rod building for others... I still build every rod that my anglers use each day, though....

For those who disagree with what I've just said - you can take comfort from the fact that my kids don't  listen to me either....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 534 Officer
    Gentlemen,
    I probably fish more than the average person and know how to apply a lot of heat using light tackle. In 60 years of all types of fishing, both commercially and recreational I have never broken a rod on a fish. Have had two rods blow up when in the rod holder. One was a solid glass blank on a locked up 6-0 with 125# which underwent a sudden surge due to the fish getting eaten by some kind of a sea monster and the second one was this supposedly heavy duty St Croix blank. Reel was spooled with Ande 12# which certainly should have parted before the rod broke. The point I tried to make with St Croix was that I have the last 12 inches of the rod and that they should take a look at it before making a judgement. As suggested, they basically laughed at me. Not the response I would have suggested, and if I ran my (small) business with that kind of attitude I wouldn't be in business. It would be an interesting story trying to explain how I was at fault here? Still have the butt portion I was left with if anyone is interested. By the way, take a look at the snapper in my picture above, it was caught on a Key Largo rod on the same 12# Ande. Caught three like it in the last month with no issues.
    CaptJ said:
    Gentlemen,
    I probably fish more than the average person and know how to apply a lot of heat using light tackle. In 60 years of all types of fishing, both commercially and recreational I have never broken a rod on a fish. Have had two rods blow up when in the rod holder. One was a solid glass blank on a locked up 6-0 with 125# which underwent a sudden surge due to the fish getting eaten by some kind of a sea monster and the second one was this supposedly heavy duty St Croix blank. Reel was spooled with Ande 12# which certainly should have parted before the rod broke. The point I tried to make with St Croix was that I have the last 12 inches of the rod and that they should take a look at it before making a judgement. As suggested, they basically laughed at me. Not the response I would have suggested, and if I ran my (small) business with that kind of attitude I wouldn't be in business. It would be an interesting story trying to explain how I was at fault here? Still have the butt portion I was left with if anyone is interested. By the way, take a look at the snapper in my picture above, it was caught on a Key Largo rod on the same 12# Ande. Caught three like it in the last month with no issues.
      I'm not trying to rub salt in your wound, or make you feel worse about this than you already do. The only guide in my county that works 250+ days a year pulled the same rookie move 3 weeks ago, the only difference was he was able to save the rest of his rig. We used a section from an older blank to rebuild the handle. I didn't have to lecture him, he knew he made a mistake, took responsibility for it, and we moved forward from there. Putting a slick butt on a production rod is a relatively painless process, so is modifying your rodholder to distribute pressure evenly through the handle. 
        As for St. Croix's warranty, I worked for one of Florida's largest SC retailers for 10 years, and helped process warranty claims. I've seen warranty claims disputed, and refused by Loomis, Lami, Seeker, Star, Shimano, and Falcon. St. Croix and TFO stand alone as the only manufacturers that stepped up every time. Most manufacturers carry a warranty against defects in manufacturing, this gives them the ability to refuse claims at their discretion. St. Croix's warranty is unconditional, you can literally set your rod on fire and still process a warranty claim (their rods would be much more affordable if they didn't do this). But like the CSR told you, no numbers, no warranty claim. Not all fishermen are honest people, and I'm sure they've seen more than one person send them their leftovers after modifying a handle trying to get one over on them. 
          As for your argument that seasoned anglers don't make bad decisions, lol! C'mon man?
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,346 Admiral
    I had a St. Croix snap under the tremendous pressure of the 18" mangrove snapper I was trying to keep out of the pilings. And then it was out of warranty. So, I agree I'll never buy their products again.
    I'm glad I stirred up some discussion on the forum. Don't really feel the need to defend myself. Actually wanted them to take a look at the remaining piece of blank and make a call on it. If it had broken above the numbers then no problem. Really? As for rod holders, Rodney has caught me literally thousands of lbs of fish with no issues. If I had broken it, I would have owned it. But as Forrest would say, that's all I'm gonna say about that.
    tankard said:
    I had a St. Croix snap under the tremendous pressure of the 18" mangrove snapper I was trying to keep out of the pilings. And then it was out of warranty. So, I agree I'll never buy their products again.
       Lol! So your rod outlasted its warranty, and you're mad? You do know that they'll prorate a new rod if your warranty has expired?
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 1,352 Officer
    I have many St Croix rods, many quite old.  I have brought in 30+ inch snook on a medium with no issues.  I have never had a St Croix break.  Sorry to hear others have a drastically different experience.
    CaptJ said:
    I'm glad I stirred up some discussion on the forum. Don't really feel the need to defend myself. Actually wanted them to take a look at the remaining piece of blank and make a call on it. If it had broken above the numbers then no problem. Really? As for rod holders, Rodney has caught me literally thousands of lbs of fish with no issues. If I had broken it, I would have owned it. But as Forrest would say, that's all I'm gonna say about that.
     Yes really. They told you that over the phone, you said as much yourself. You literally found the only way to break a rod that no manufacturer on earth would ever honor a claim on. But cool, you want to start some kind of ruckus, I get that, and good luck with it. I get the impression that you deal with this kind of thing alot.
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,246 Officer
    CaptJ; a warranty is a contract between you and the manufacturer. In order for the warranty to be effective both of you have to honor your responsibilities. Your responsibility was to properly register the rod; you didn't! St. Croix is not at fault, you are. If you run your brand new, still under warranty boat into a piling would you expect the manufacturer to replace it?
    Rod was registered. Enough speculation already! 
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,015 Captain
    edited May 30 #14
    fish_stix said:
    CaptJ; a warranty is a contract between you and the manufacturer. In order for the warranty to be effective both of you have to honor your responsibilities. Your responsibility was to properly register the rod; you didn't! St. Croix is not at fault, you are. If you run your brand new, still under warranty boat into a piling would you expect the manufacturer to replace it?
    Stix, I think the missing numbers he is referring too are the model number, the rod length, lure weight, etc, not the warranty number. 
    I also don't think bad of them for not honoring the warranty. I was kinda surprised they didn't, though, the folks I know who own them have always had good things to say about their CS.
    pottydoc said:
    fish_stix said:
    Stix, I think the missing numbers he is referring too are the model number, the rod length, lure weight, etc, not the warranty number. 
    I also don't think bad of them for not honoring the warranty. I was kinda surprised they didn't, though, the folks I know who own them have always had good things to say about their CS.
      It's a no-fault warranty. They really don't care at all how you broke it. They'll even prorate the cost of a new rod if your warranty is expired. Honoring a claim on 8" of mangled cork is a lot to ask of any manufacturer, the OP would get the same response (or worse) from shimano/loomis/star/crowder/falcon. 
  • MangroovinMangroovin Posts: 84 Greenhorn
    Ive built many rods on St Croix blanks and have found them to be great bang for the buck.  Most of the ones I use are ones I built on the SC2 blanks.  Usually build spinners on a casting blank.  Love the action and strength + not a whippy noodle.  Have never broken one.  Well thats not entirely true.  Did break one when it got caught in the trolling motor but I don't wanna talk about that...lol
    Ive built many rods on St Croix blanks and have found them to be great bang for the buck.  Most of the ones I use are ones I built on the SC2 blanks.  Usually build spinners on a casting blank.  Love the action and strength + not a whippy noodle.  Have never broken one.  Well thats not entirely true.  Did break one when it got caught in the trolling motor but I don't wanna talk about that...lol
        Thought I was weird. All my spinning rods are on casting blanks, but I fish plugs almost exclusively. Don't be scared of a little flex, the 4C711HMF is a moderate flex, but for plugs in the 7/8oz-1 1/4oz range, it's pretty fun. I've broken plenty of rods, but I can honestly say with the exception of one loomis glx 9wt every single one of them was my fault. Accidents, bad decisions, acts of god, whatever. If you get a bad blank from a manufacturer, you'll know it on day one.
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,015 Captain
    pottydoc said:
    fish_stix said:
      It's a no-fault warranty. They really don't care at all how you broke it. They'll even prorate the cost of a new rod if your warranty is expired. Honoring a claim on 8" of mangled cork is a lot to ask of any manufacturer, the OP would get the same response (or worse) from shimano/loomis/star/crowder/falcon. 
    Uhh...I know all that. I've got a rack full of them in the garage. My post was to the guy that thought they wanted warranty numbers, and didn't realize they were just looking for the part of the rod with the length, line class, etc. And I stayed in the post you quoted I didn't think they were wrong? Did you read any of my post, or just start typing? 
    Bottom line is the rod broke, I did everything asked of me and they did offer a 40% discount without evaluating the broken pc of rod even though I offered them the remains to look at. That's like saying we don't really care what happened, here's our solution - replace the defective rod with a new one at a 40% discount and just go away. I don't need their discount, or attitude. I can afford a new rod. What's right is right. I posted this to inform others who would consider the warranty offered by St Croix when looking to invest what I consider to be considerable money for an off the rack rod. Perhaps they did everything right for all of those who went before me, but in this case I have to call B**!!**! I don't like to be taken advantage of. Must say that it's great that I've garnered interest from all sides on this issue.
    pottydoc said:
    pottydoc said:
    fish_stix said:
    Uhh...I know all that. I've got a rack full of them in the garage. My post was to the guy that thought they wanted warranty numbers, and didn't realize they were just looking for the part of the rod with the length, line class, etc. And I stayed in the post you quoted I didn't think they were wrong? Did you read any of my post, or just start typing? 
      I didn't say you were wrong. Did you read my post, or just start typing?
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,346 Admiral
    tankard said:
       Lol! So your rod outlasted its warranty, and you're mad? You do know that they'll prorate a new rod if your warranty has expired?

Who said I was mad, weirdo?

Things break, I get that. But I've had plenty of other rods last for decades.

Just not a fan of their products, why would I want another one, pro-rated or not?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file