At the Pass........not the results I was looking for

Launched Sunday @ the Pass. Water temp was 78.8 and tide just starting to flow out. Went to the beach looking for snook, trout, reds on topwaters. Perfect conditions. High tide moving out. Clean water in the trees. Cloudy. 6" waves......Disappointed.....Had 2 hook-ups (decent weight) and lost them. Switched to a Yo-Zuri and got a decent size ladyfish for chunking. Off to near Cape Romano. Zero. Into the Morgan River. Did manage 3 short trout on 4 casts. Stayed with it. After 10  minutes, went back outside. Tried to anchor (no powepole, I'm po). After 6 failed attempts, went to another spot. Did get a couple jacks and short trout. Off to use the chunk ladyfish. Outgoing tide, rays jumping and 2 lines out. Rod bends and a 4-foot blacktip. Re-baited and got a 4 foot sand shard. And then a decent 10-pound jack. Oh yeah, it would not be a Cax Kid report without the obligatory sailcats and hard head cats mixed in. Last spot yielded 4 more short trout. All trout were caught on a shrimp looking grub a co-worker gave me a couple weeks ago. Jacks were caught on the yo-zuri. Live shrimp were used to catch a couple trash can slams.

If nothing else, the 90% change of rain was missed completely! It sprinkled once for 20 seconds. Loaded @ 12:45 and the boat/trailed got a great washdown in the pouring rain on the way home.

Gonna try again either Sun/Mon. Yeah, I know. Holiday (read that "rookie weekend") but I know the fish are there and I'm NOT GONNA GIVE UP!    I'm just trying to give some legal trout and redfish a free ice cold trip home to my house.........

Until next time, be safe. And maybe I'll have a "good day" smile next weekend.

Polar 1900 Yamaha 115

Replies

• snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 962 Officer
    Good report. Better luck next time. 
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • Mr, GooganMr, Googan Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    You caught far more than I.  After seeing the weather report I opted out.  Looks like you had a decent window and caught some fish.  Hopefully I'll make it out this week. 
  • wahoo1wahoo1 Posts: 93 Greenhorn
    I went out of Caxambas on Friday and had a little luck but couldn't find the snook we were looking for.  Got several trout, one 30 inch redfish, and a bunch of other trash fish.  I have several "out of towners" coming in later this summer and all they want to do is catch sharks.  I've never fished for them down there.  When you fish with the cut lady fish and are hooking sharks are you just anchoring in the gulf off the tip of Cape Romano? Just need a place to hook anything that is big that will excite someone from Minnesota.  

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,831 Captain
    I fish a bit to the south - but the principles are the same... All you need is some current - and deep water nearby.  Toss your bait out at right angles to the current with an egg sinker to get it down (but not quite heavy enough to hold it in place... so that it rolls along the bottom slowly until it finally comes to rest down current of where you're staked up or anchored.  Leave the rod in the rodholder, in gear with standard drag -and don't touch it again until it bends over with Mr. Toothy on the other end.  Where we fish (from Lostman's south to Cape Sable) we usually expect our first bite in around five minutes....and will re-locate if not bit in fifteen minutes...

We never use circle hooks - J hooks are much easier to remove from a live shark than circles - always.  My rigs are simplicity itself - a rod's length of 80lb mono (for rigs with 15 or 20lb line - I'll go up to 100lb or heavier with 30lb or heavier gear...) that's attached to a short trace (15 to 20" of #6 wire) with a 100 lb swivel at one end and an Eagle Claw #85, 5/0 hook at the bitter end....  We'll go to heavier wire and hook - but only when using heavier line (be careful what you wish for - there are sharks everywhere from Flamingo to Naples that are in the un-stoppable category.. One of them can turn into an all day proposition... You're wanting critters less than 300lbs (at least that's my take on it...).

Any fresh cut live bait will work - but you'll be hard pressed to find anything better than a chunk of fresh ladyfish or mullet (I want the bait kicking when we cut it into chunks - no frozen bait ever...).  If possible - always use a chunk slightly bigger than what a big catfish could swallow - it will cut down on mr. whiskers...  Don't be surprised if you hook a tarpon, snook, big redfish, etc. on nothing but a chunk.... In summer the world's greatest gamefish turn scavenger since they just can't get enough to eat.... Any fish you hook on a chunk meant for a shark will be a big one - that I can guarantee (snook up to 25lbs, tarpon as big as they get, jacks up to 20lbs, etc.)

By  the way - as long as you never drop back (or allow a fish to pick up bait on slack line - you'll hardly ever hook one deeply - all will be hooked just like a circle hook will.... We never bring a shark up into the boat (unless it's small enough to pick up with one hand....) preferring to de-hook them while they're still in the water... and we almost always get our hooks back, using an 18" Arc de-hooker...

Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Bob, 
    This is fantastic advice, thank you for taking the time to write this.  I'm going to give this a try the next time I am out.  I have a little boy who caught a nurse shark a few weeks ago and is now obsessed with catching sharks.  Between him and the out of town guests I'll for sure stay busy this summer.  I took a trip down to your neighborhood (Lostmans and Highland Beach) a few weeks ago, it was my first time down there in over 7 years.  We did pretty well, found about 5 snook over 36 inches.  Wanted to get back down there last week but the weather wouldn't allow us.  Hoping to get back there at least once more this summer.  I always enjoy reading your posts and can't thank you enough for your great advice.  

Steve

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,082 Admiral
    Double your odds..put out a chumblock...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    Turner River Terror,

Chumblock for the sharks?  Anchor in the middle of one of the passes with the chum block?  

Never anchor in the middle..Tie off to a Mangrove tree on the side. 
    All you need is 6 ft. of water , and Current ,you might get some shade as well.
    Chum will also bring Pass Jewfish around. 5 to 50 pounds are a lot of fun..
    Got it, thanks again for the advice! 
  • BobberBobber Posts: 876 Officer
    Huh,tie off to the mangroves eh? be aware that TRT is halfhuman/halfmosquito  and is known as the Supreme Overlord of Biting bugs. It's a trap, don't listen to him!
    Baby...
    I've sat in a lawn chair in the water up to my neck with a wet towel draped across my head on Kice Island ….all night long..
    Praying for wind or dawn ..or Death.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,831 Captain
    When the bugs are at their worst you’re afraid they’ll be the death of you... Then a few hours later (and a thousand more bites you’re afraid you’ll live....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file