Replies

• MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 353 Deckhand
    Many of us who hunt the Big Cypress know its only a matter of time.  
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 740 Officer
    I think it’s illegal out there to even carry pepper spray to defend yourself. 
  • GigUmGigUm Posts: 43 Greenhorn
    Such a sad story. Not familiar with the area but I'd carry a pistol if I was biking down a wilderness trail. If something threatens your life, I'd say thats grounds to use it. 
  • ValhallaValhalla Posts: 114 Deckhand
    So this was in Washington state and the first attack in 100 years? I think The Diabeetus might be a bigger concern...
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,019 Captain
    I am willing to live with more Cat in North Florida, hunters in many areas of the U.S. do so.
    The benefits outweigh the downsides.
    I live with gators, the “ threat” accepted.
    Trail and Kit guns a common outdoor feature.

Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
    What benefits?
  • Dshaw94Dshaw94 Posts: 98 Greenhorn
    Allowing other species to exist!  Yeah, there's no benefit there.
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me"
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 1,849 Captain
    Perhaps I'm wrong about this, but I think the 2 or 3 people who have been attacked and killed in California in recent years have all been riding bicycles. It's logical to me that a Cat seeing a bicycle going by will think "DEER" and not human. It would be instinctive on the cat's thought processes---I think.
  • joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 1,859 Captain
    edited May 21 #10
    H20dad said:
    If that's accurate it is no more than typical "left coast" logic.  It is nice to live in a State that allows concealed carry so I pretty much can guarantee (maybe) that his won't happen to us when my wife and I hike through areas of Crew WMA or Big Cypress.  This recent change from drought to rainy season will end those visits for a while.  Just watched a national news story on this fatality.  Be curious if this panther was rabid.  
  • mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 6,026 Admiral
    Perhaps I'm wrong about this, but I think the 2 or 3 people who have been attacked and killed in California in recent years have all been riding bicycles. It's logical to me that a Cat seeing a bicycle going by will think "DEER" and not human. It would be instinctive on the cat's thought processes---I think.
    And they had those Blinky red reflectors on back.  The cat just instinctively attacked the Lazer.  It is depicted in a Farmers insurance commercial.

Captain Todd Approves

mplspug said:
    And they had those Blinky red reflectors on back.  The cat just instinctively attacked the Lazer.  It is depicted in a Farmers insurance commercial.
    If we can keep this into a true discussion and not a typical FS argument I'll bet our resident cyclist has an informed opinion on this.  Waiting to read it.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 409 Deckhand
    I think he was just kidding around.  I chuckled.

It would certainly be interesting to look at how many attacks are on bicyclist vs other.  I agree that this could evoke a predatory response from a cat.  Seems like a reasonable assumption.

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,946 Admiral
    That sounds like a flat out awful way to go.  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 767 Officer
    The guy who was bit first was the lucky one. He rode away to get cell service/help.
    Dshaw94 said:
    Small pox, Ebola, and bubonic plague are species too. Do you want Isis or North Korea using that excuse at the UN? 
    edited May 21 #17

H20dad said:
    Dshaw94 said:
    Small pox, Ebola, and bubonic plague are species too. Do you want Isis or North Korea using that excuse at the UN? 
    Awesome argument! I'll let the intelligence of your statement speak for itself.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,380 AG
    H20dad said:
    Not out west where they are also protected.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
    joekat46 said:
    mplspug said:
    If we can keep this into a true discussion and not a typical FS argument I'll bet our resident cyclist has an informed opinion on this.  Waiting to read it.
    I won't compare the dead guys worth with the cats until I know more about the cyclist. Obviously he was too slow, other than that, the jury is out. ;)
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,946 Admiral
    Cyclist said:
    joekat46 said:
    mplspug said:
    I won't compare the dead guys worth with the cats until I know more about the cyclist. Obviously he was too slow, other than that, the jury is out. ;)
    I don't think many people off road cycling could outrun a hungry cougar.    They have to stay on trail, that thing is on their own turf, and....it's a freaking lion.  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/05/21/cyclist-did-everything-right-before-emaciated-cougar-attacked-killed-one-authorities/627850002/
    A man killed by a mountain lion in Washington state and his friend who escaped did everything they were supposed to do in an attack, according to authorities.

WRONG. The man tried to flee, the experts say that is absolutely the wrong thing to do. This particular cougar was described as "emaciated" probably indicating some health issue that prevented it from catching faster cyclists and it's more normal prey.

Pretty sad and rare situation. I feel badly for the dead guy and his family.

Dshaw94 said:

H20dad said:
    Dshaw94 said:
    I understand that you are emotional and not bright. But “allowing other species to exist,” while pumped by the mainstream media and accepted my low intelligence subjects of the state, is not a one size fits all argument.   

Mountain lions are in no danger of going extinct and their populations are in fact expanding rapidly. Much of this is due to emotionally based and not science based policy. The downside is that this policy can flip on its head to the detriment of the species and it could be put into peril by emotions based policies. Thinking people are always looking at science based policy as managing with an understanding of consequences of policies might avoid problems and mitigate emotionally based reactions. Again, I know this is way over your head but there could be a fourth or fifth grader on the forum who would appreciate this perspective. 

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,434 Captain
    Nature works in cycles. If there is not enough easy prey, then a hungry carnivore will do what it has to do to survive.
    I don't know that area but maybe there are more Cougars than what is sustainable then out of desperation they will go after non traditional food sources. That is where man comes in. Since we populated the once wild areas, we have a duty to cull the over abundance of predators. This is the way of nature. The dominate will survive and man is dominate over other species.I know it hurts some to think this but it is what it is.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,019 Captain
    Nobody has noticed that the holsters depicted in the photo I posted show little or no wear.
    Guess it takes real Outdoors time and experience to spot such things.

Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
    Or we thought you don't get out much.  Too much time on the computer maybe.
    Cyclist said:
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/05/21/cyclist-did-everything-right-before-emaciated-cougar-attacked-killed-one-authorities/627850002/
    A man killed by a mountain lion in Washington state and his friend who escaped did everything they were supposed to do in an attack, according to authorities.

WRONG. The man tried to flee, the experts say that is absolutely the wrong thing to do. This particular cougar was described as "emaciated" probably indicating some health issue that prevented it from catching faster cyclists and it's more normal prey.

Pretty sad and rare situation. I feel badly for the dead guy and his family.

How could I miss this low hanging fruit?

the moral of the story is the one cyclist abandoned the other cyclist to death by small cat. Typical cyclist mentality imo “screw everybody else.”
    edited May 22 #27
    H20dad said:
    Dshaw94 said:

H20dad said:
    Dshaw94 said:
    I understand that you are emotional and not bright. But “allowing other species to exist,” while pumped by the mainstream media and accepted my low intelligence subjects of the state, is not a one size fits all argument.   

Mountain lions are in no danger of going extinct and their populations are in fact expanding rapidly. Much of this is due to emotionally based and not science based policy. The downside is that this policy can flip on its head to the detriment of the species and it could be put into peril by emotions based policies. Thinking people are always looking at science based policy as managing with an understanding of consequences of policies might avoid problems and mitigate emotionally based reactions. Again, I know this is way over your head but there could be a fourth or fifth grader on the forum who would appreciate this perspective. 

I am the unintelligent one, acting on emotion??? Says the guys who compared a cougar's worth and value to exist with that of Small Pox and Ebola!  Come one man.... And way to bust out the main stream media b.s. quote, very deep.  You are clearly a man wise beyond the comprehension of a simpleton like myself.  Oh by the way I said nothing of them being endangered.  First step to make a prudent argument is to argue the facts or statements of fact made by the opposition, not just vomit cookie cutter canned responses you've heard in other non related discussions.  I know this is a lot for you to take in but maybe you can track down a fifth grader for assistance.  Keep on bloviating.
    edited May 22 #28
    Dshaw94 said:
    H20dad said:
    Dshaw94 said:

H20dad said:
    Dshaw94 said:

I am the unintelligent one, acting on emotional??? Says the guys who compared a cougar's worth and value to exist with that of Small Pox and Ebola!  Come one man.... And way to bust out the main stream media b.s. quote, very deep.  You are clearly a man wise beyond the comprehension of a simpleton like myself.  Keep on bloviating.
    You still have not answered the question. You are trying to belittle the one who asked the question to avoid answering it. To some it would appear that you can’t answer a simple question.  Others might conclude that mountain lions may have no actual benefits in places like north Florida. 
    H20dad said:
    Dshaw94 said:
    H20dad said:
    Dshaw94 said:

H20dad said:
    Dshaw94 said:

I am the unintelligent one, acting on emotional??? Says the guys who compared a cougar's worth and value to exist with that of Small Pox and Ebola!  Come one man.... And way to bust out the main stream media b.s. quote, very deep.  You are clearly a man wise beyond the comprehension of a simpleton like myself.  Keep on bloviating.
    You still have not answered the question. You are trying to belittle the one who asked the question to avoid answering it. To some it would appear that you can’t answer a simple question.  Others might conclude that mountain lions may have no actual benefits in places like north Florida. 
    If you have to be explained the benefit of an animal existing you wouldn't understand, I'm sorry.  There you go again,  who said anything about "North Florida"? come on man!!! You make this to easy.
    Apex predators are so "yesterday".... ;) 

Mountain lions play a major role in our ecosystem by........
    edited May 22 #31
    Cyclist said:
    Apex predators are so "yesterday".... ;) 

Mountain lions play a major role in our ecosystem by........
    The role of apex predators has been taken by hunting. The pro apex predator movement lauds the removal or limitation of hunting by humans while ignoring the dangers 
    to humans, live stock, and pets. Allowing hunting of apex predators mitigates many of the negatives of their presence and does not lead to their eradication.   

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file