Bait ID

Anyone know what kind bait this is? Caught a bunch move in a cast net but they don't seem to be working

Replies

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,025 Captain
    I’ve only heard them called tiger minnows. Some people incorrectly call them chub minnoes, but they aren’t the same. We usually see the tigers on white sand beaches and chubs in creeks snd oyster bars. I’ve used tiger minnows snd have never caught anything on them. Good luck, hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in. 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 759 Officer
    Tiger minnow.
    and yes they do work.
    How are you fishing them?
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • Luv2BoatLuv2Boat JupiterPosts: 23 Greenhorn
    3/0 j hook with 18" fluorocarbon leader hooking them through the nose and tossing them out with the pyramid sinker , it was a slow day today anyways , nothing really worked but will definitely give it a shot if I come across them again. Thanks!
  • THOMAS CITY CURVETHOMAS CITY CURVE Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    That is a banded Killifish
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,025 Captain
    That is a banded Killifish
    It sure does look like it, but the inter web says the furthest south they live is South Carolina 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • THOMAS CITY CURVETHOMAS CITY CURVE Posts: 9 Greenhorn
     Striped Killifish
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,116 Admiral
    Flounder bait! Slowly dragged along the bottom with either a bucktail or with a 1/2 oz. lead.
    Split shot , I'm new to the area do the flounder like the grassy areas or the Sandy areas? I definitely want to start fishing for flounder , what's the best bait to Target them? Seems like pinfish eat all the small baits I use... any special techniques you would recommend?
  • pinseekerpinseeker Posts: 59 Greenhorn
    Flounder candy.  Do what Split Shot said or rig them as a flatline and put a couple splitshot on the line to get it to sink slow to the bottom.  if a flounder is around they will jump on them.  Where the sand and grass come together...Drag along the sandy side
    Been catching tons of atlantic sharpnose sharks, big sting ray  and a 22" trout on them so far... no flounder yet , hoping to catch a big bull red one of these days :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file