What the heck is this? thread

spanglerspangler Posts: 351 Deckhand
edited May 17 in General Hunting #1
I'm sure I"m not the only one, but too often I find myself wishing I had someone to ask what something I find out in the woods is.  Instead of creating a new thread every time, I'm just gonna start tacking them on here.  Might be a good sticky for others to ask "What the heck is this?" too.

I'll start with this one.  Found these two discolored spots on a sandy fire road.  Will a buck scrape in the middle of a dirt road like this?

The spot up on the top right had a small area, about the size of a half dollar that was more 'concentrated.' Definitely looked like something had urinated there.

Replies

• Rich MRich M Posts: 890 Officer
    Just where the soil is drier than surrounding soil - nothing special - not a scrape.
  • MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,567 Captain
    Turkey's probably use the area to "dust" themselves.
    My Favorite Smile Is Vertical
  • spanglerspangler Posts: 351 Deckhand
    Yeah, there was definitely something going on here.  This road is a mile long and all of the sand along it was bleach white sugar sand.  The sand here was 'discolored.'  It was much more noticeable than the pics do justice.  The ground was also disturbed in a way that distinguished it from the surrounding sand.

Turkeys would make sense cause they're pretty thick around this spot.
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 101 Deckhand
    That is where turkeys have been dusting.  MGTeacher is on it.
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 747 Officer
    the guy 1/2 an hour ahead of you did ''doo-doo''
  • GRIZZLGRIZZL Posts: 680 Officer
    No Turkey prints that *I* can see. If it was a dusting area..prints would be there. I think it's just a natural occurring drainage like was said. Looks undisturbed by "any" wildlife to me
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,731 Admiral
    MGTeacher said:
    Turkey's probably use the area to "dust" themselves.
    Was going to say that but figured I was wrong.  They like to roll around in the sand to get mites off 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 689 Officer
    It doesn’t look like a dusting site. Just discolored dirt. But you can sit on the spot for the next year to prove us wrong. 

I used to fish with a guy that always wanted to troll current breaks. He had no idea what those were but he was sure that prop wash about a half mile behind boats was current breaks. So we wasted time trolling already trolled over water. 

Lesson. Just because something looks different doesn’t mean it is of value. The best sign is obvious and frequent.  New people always waste a lot of time on things that are of a complete waste of time. Avoid that trap. 
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 1,146 Officer
    Interesting. Turkey dusting usually leaves a little bowl shape. Also, note what appears to be a small ant bed on the lower right w the orange sand. This sand comes from underground and will most likely bleach white w some time in the sun above ground. Without some time to observe it up close it's hard to say. Could also be left over mineral block residue maybe....(speculation).  The cool thing is you'll add this to your experience file and may figure it out one day. BTW-Buck scrapes are under a low hanging tree branch. Keep on putting time in and paying attention to what's out there. Cool stuff!
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
    Dang.. I really wish I had taken a close up pic of where this discolored sand was more concentrated.  It definitely looked like some type of liquid had dried. 

Thanks for the tip swampwalker!  I actually had no idea a scrape had to be under a low hanging branch.  Good to know!

• Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 1,406 Officer
    I would guess that was definitely done by "something", but what happens with sand is that after a day or two any definition that might reveal tracks caves in on itself between the wind and the morning dew. Could have been turkey dusting, or just as easily a gopher tortoise dragging itself thru the sand or deer prancing or box fighting thru. Also could have been a human doing who knows what. 

Usually turkey dusting sites are round like a deer pawing, but deer pawing are always under overhanging branches as has already been pointed out. Bucks will tear up ground when they fight, but its too early for that. Does and velvet bucks will box in spring and summer with their front paws but that's somewhat rare. 
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 1,406 Officer
    I have lots of turkey dusting sights on my farm. If I remember this weekend and if the weather permits, I'll try to find one and take a picture. Everything is wet now though. They use dusting sights when its dry. 
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 6,830 Admiral
    Don't know if that area has logging or similar on it but if a piece of equipment has a issue and a small amount of diesel or hydraulic fluid spills the spot will stay for years AND hogs/bears and other stuff will continually visit the site to take advantage of it.

Though I'd venture the turkey explanation offered earlier is probably more in line. 
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,235 Moderator
    Bobcat.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 890 Officer
    See H20's post. 
    spangler said:
    Dang.. I really wish I had taken a close up pic of where this discolored sand was more concentrated.  It definitely looked like some type of liquid had dried. 

You have plenty of pixels..just click on your photo here is the forum and zoom in. I did and could get to the ant hill hole that was mentioned before...just move to the area in the photo and zoom in
    spangler said:

You have plenty of pixels..just click on your photo here is the forum and zoom in. I did and could get to the ant hill hole that was mentioned before...just move to the area in the photo and zoom in
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 3,739 Captain
    What did it smell like?
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 648 Officer
    Could it be a ant mound? Darker soil brought up from under white sand?
    Well, now I feel stupid.  For not smelling it.  That would have been an 'obvious' thing to do lol. 

And yeah, I tried zooming in on it but I can't find the 'spot'...

• jrd1982jrd1982 Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    spangler said:
    Well, now I feel stupid.  For not smelling it.  That would have been an 'obvious' thing to do lol. 

And yeah, I tried zooming in on it but I can't find the 'spot'...

Definitely need to taste it next time too. All the pros swear by the taste. 

• MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 348 Deckhand
    My unprofessional opinion is that it will smell and taste like... DIRT!
    Yeah, I'll stop at smelling.  ..It definitely would have told me if it was motor oil.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file